PDA

View Full Version : This looks real bad for Circuit City

hey_moe
November 2nd, 2008, 14:17
This is starting to look like the last stage to a bad saga >>>> http://consumerist.com/5074161/updated-breaking-circuit-city-closing-155-stores

Cratermaker
November 2nd, 2008, 15:03
Anyone remember their DIVX fiasco?

hey_moe
November 2nd, 2008, 15:39
I might be looking at this a little bit different than you are looking at it. Here it is at Christmas time and there will be a lot of employees out of a job...kinda hurts at this time of the year for anyone to loosing there job because of poor management.:banghead:
Anyone remember their DIVX fiasco?

GT182
November 2nd, 2008, 15:43
They're not the only ones losing their jobs..... Boscov's and Linen and Things are also closing their doors. It'll be a sad Christmas for many out there.

Cratermaker
November 2nd, 2008, 16:32
Well, that was my point. It's no surprise to me that this is happening to CC with the management they've had.

They just opened a new store here. I bought a game from them that was just released as they actually had it cheaper than everyone else by 20%. Sad thing was, this new store was the WORST use of retail floor space I have EVER seen. It was really bad.

I certainly feel bad for the employees though. I don't know why, but this seems to be a very popular time of year to give people notice. Not sure if it has to do with tax laws or what with the timing. But every year, it's the same thing. There also happens to be a Linens and Things on the opposite side from the highway with a big "Going out of Business" banner on it.

I might be looking at this a little bit different than you are looking at it. Here it is at Christmas time and there will be a lot of employees out of a job...kinda hurts at this time of the year for anyone to loosing there job because of poor management.:banghead:

djscoo
November 2nd, 2008, 16:59
Well, that was my point. It's no surprise to me that this is happening to CC with the management they've had.

They just opened a new store here. I bought a game from them that was just released as they actually had it cheaper than everyone else by 20%. Sad thing was, this new store was the WORST use of retail floor space I have EVER seen. It was really bad.

I certainly feel bad for the employees though. I don't know why, but this seems to be a very popular time of year to give people notice. Not sure if it has to do with tax laws or what with the timing. But every year, it's the same thing. There also happens to be a Linens and Things on the opposite side from the highway with a big "Going out of Business" banner on it.

Hmmm...same exact situation here. Brand new Circuit City right across the street from a closing Linens-n-things. I've never seen more than 10 or so cars in the lot of CC, while across the street @ Best Buy, there are normally 30+ cars.:confused:

Trans_23
November 2nd, 2008, 19:04
I just bought a LCD TV and a Blu-Ray player at Circuit City. I thought the sales people were very nice and helpful. I do agree that they never seem to have many customers at one time. I am sorry to see them go but all my experiences with them have been positive.

srgalahad
November 2nd, 2008, 19:11
CC doesn't have the brand visibility of someone like Best Buy who spend megabucks on advertising and have a huge structure. I agree that CC doesn't seem to be the sharpest and a lot of there general merchandise is questionable or lacking, but the bits, parts and pieces section has always been an asset I'd miss.

Tom Clayton
November 2nd, 2008, 22:03
I guess I'm lucky. According to the posts, if your store has disappeared from the store locator, it's one of the ones closing. I put in my zip code and all the stores near me are still there. It's rare that I buy hardware there, but they usually seem to have better prices on music than most music stores! The few times that I do buy hardware, I take advantage of their online shopping with in-store pickup. That way, I can do my research at home and then if I want it, it's only a half-hour away.

stansdds
November 3rd, 2008, 01:55
Circuit City did it to themselves. They started out great, but made some really bad decisions like firing their more experienced people so they could hire less experienced and cheaper labor. If you buy an electronic device from them and have problems with it, they will merely direct you to contact the manufacturer. If you go to any of the stores around here, good luck with getting someone to help you.

Best Buy's policy is that if you have a problem with a new purchase you bring it back to them (I have done this and all they wanted to know was if it was broken or I simply did not need it and was returning it). I can't get 10 feet into one of their stores without having at least one sales associate asking me if I need help. Best Buy is a totally different experience from Circuit City and tends to have a far more welcoming and friendly atmosphere.

hey_moe
November 3rd, 2008, 02:54
Well CC is just trying to survive in this mess. With all the other companies popping up selling the same and trying to get a piece of the pie it puts pressure on other retailers. Walmart is the biggest small business buster out there. If you notice when they build a store it puts others out of business and they also pay there employees like chet and treat them that way too. Yea I have been in Walmart and to me they sell bottom of the line junk but this is the trend the public is headed to. Quality is a thing of the pass.. We are headed to a throw away economy, it breaks down ...ya just throw it away and buy another...this is why the stuff being made today is nothing more that Mickey Mouse crap. Example: look at a refh that is made today compared to one made ten years ago. The metal is thiner and the parts are 100% plastic. Each year as time goes by things are made cheaper. When a retail store takes things back they just write the product off...some of the stuff they can send back but most of the time they just trash them. Taking little things back like what Walmart does doesn't hurt them....I bet cha if they took back a lot of big ticket items there policy would change.

VF15_gray
November 3rd, 2008, 08:35
The metal is thiner and the parts are 100% plastic. Each year as time goes by things are made cheaper.

I own a small manufacturing company that builds consumer electronic items (all US made). We have our own injection molds, build our own circuit boards, etc.

I can see why some items are designed to be throwaway. Technology marches on. Why build a DVD player that will last 20 years when it will be superceded by new technology? The 20 yr unit would require more materials and resources that would be wasted. The optimum situation would be to have a unit die the day you are ready to upgrade.

With the complexity of today’s circuits, it is cheaper to just throw out a board than it is to trouble shoot and repair. Labor is majority of the cost in the product.

Sometimes things can be over built and last too long.

Wiens
November 3rd, 2008, 11:03
. Example: look at a refh that is made today compared to one made ten years ago. The metal is thiner and the parts are 100% plastic. Each year as time goes by things are made cheaper.

Moe,

What is a "refh"?

Kevin :d

Trans_23
November 3rd, 2008, 11:45
Moe,

What is a "refh"?

Kevin :d
My guess was a refrigerator.

Cratermaker
November 3rd, 2008, 13:04
If you are concerned your local Circuit City might be closing, here is the list of stores being closed:
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/CC/455862790x0x245809/2BFAC9D9-6CEF-4027-9E51-1C635F42F7A7/110308%20Store%20Closing%20List.pdf

Somehow, my town got missed by the axe completely. Looks like GA and CA got hit pretty hard though.

hey_moe
November 3rd, 2008, 13:28
Well the way I look at it is ,electronics don't belong in any appliances or HVAC units. HVAC unit have a life now of about 7 to 9 years. It wouldn't bother me so bad if we only were paying a couple hundred, but instead we are paying from 2 to 10 grand. Same goes with appliances...they are mickey mouse design and are junk compared to the build 10 years ago. Even the replacement parts have a shelf date of only a year or so. Here is a excellent example of what I am talking about. 10 years ago I would do a seal system job maybe once a month....in todays time I average 3 or 4 a week. Average cost 700.00/ central...1500.00 and up depending on the tonnage. This sucks for the customer. A HP has a life now of about 7 years compared to 20 years. I won't see it in my life time but the 1500.00 will be the breaking point in the furture...If you paid 1500.00 and it breaks down you just trash it and go buy another...1600.00 and up you repair it...I know some in here think that is crazy but look how much a pair of tenny shoes are today compared to 20 years ago.I rest my case:costumes:..lol.

b24_witchcraft
November 4th, 2008, 06:59
I feel bad for the employees affected by this shutdown of these Circuit City stores. What makes it worse is the fact the shutdown is happening over the holiday season. From the list Cratermaker mentioned although a lot states got hit pretty hard (sadly) it looks like the MA & RI stores are not affected though. My best wishes to all those affected.

In this morning's Boston Globe paper the Tweeter electronics store chain just announced they are shutting down all of their stores now and are expected to totally shut down their business by the end of the year - http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/11/04/electronics_retailer_tweeter_closing/

Once again the employees of both stores affected have my deepest sympathy.

GT182
November 4th, 2008, 09:10
The CC stores near me in DE and PA have all escaped the "list". I don't buy much at CC so I wouldn't miss them all that much. I'd miss Worst Buy even less.

BTW... is CompUSA still going? I haen't been by it but there was one here in DE that was supposed to survive the big closing.

Tom Clayton
November 4th, 2008, 22:22
Comp USA has definitely scaled back. They closed the one here in GSO, and a friend in the St. Louis area picked up some good deals when that one closed. Their Stor Locator page indicates that they've merged, "teamed up," whatever with Tiger Direct.

http://www.compusa.com/retailstores/compusaStores/

I'm just glad that CarMax isn't under Circuit City any more. If there's one place that treats a used care shopper right, they're it.

pop
November 5th, 2008, 07:01
I wonder how it will go in Canada for them. They bought out a Canadian chain called Radio Shack which are all now of course called Circuit City and it is the only place you can go to buy electronic parts such as connectors and cables and tools etc to make your own stuff. I'll really be at a loss if that goes away.