PDA

View Full Version : Good Movie; Children of Huang Shi

Lionheart
January 11th, 2010, 23:02
Man... I just watched a brilliant movie. The Children of Huang Shi.

Hard to imagine so many went through such rough times.

This is a true story and in the end, they have short interviews of survivors.

Its on Cable. I highly urge you to watch it if you are into the struggles of humanity in rough times. This takes place in WWII during the Japanese invasion of China.

Awesome movie...

(be strong on this one.. whew... )

cheezyflier
January 12th, 2010, 05:26
most importantly about that movie, it stars the beautiful and talented michelle yeoh. i have it as a divx file. it's pretty good. :applause:

Bjoern
January 12th, 2010, 09:40
Is that the one about the Siemens factory in China?

cheezyflier
January 12th, 2010, 10:14
it's about war orphans in china during the japanese occupation.

tbo, if you watch alot of asian cinema, especially chinese drama, you'll find it predictable even though it's a westernized telling of the tale.
if you mostly watch hollywood films, then it's a really good movie.

the japanese invasion of china had a huge effect on them, (as you might expect) and it really shows in their cinema. probably 40% of their drama involves the evil japanese invaders being resisted by the peace loving chinese people. yet still, alot of it (including this movie) is done better than the junk we are fed by hollywood. the most important part of the film is at the very end, during the credits. go rent it if you haven't see it.
michelle yeoh, chow yun fat and some other actors i forget who they were.

Lionheart
January 12th, 2010, 11:58
Thanks for the info CF. Good to know. I caught some of the famous Chinese actors.

For those interested, it starts out with a British journalist that speaks Japanese and he finds a way into war torn China. He see's some atrocities.

The movie really captures you. Some great scenery shots.

Bill

aeromed202
January 12th, 2010, 12:28
I learned something about this predicament of the Chinese while researching the Doolittle Raid. If I remember correctly the Chinese simply hadn't the means to effectively resist the Japanese invaders. We planned Chinese landing areas (considered safe) for the fleeing Raiders, many of which at least reached Chinese soil. However, the advancing Japanese were close to where many fliers crash landed. Sadly the Chinese who helped these crews, or any the Japanese even thought helped them were slaughtered. Yet they still helped because they saw the crews as heroes for striking back at the Japanese homeland. The courage and compassion of these Chinese patriots was amazing.

cheezyflier
January 12th, 2010, 13:37
aeromed, that's true in more ways than one. another really good movie that underscores your point
(in a round about way) is "the soong sisters" also starring michelle yeoh, but also maggie cheung, vivian wu, and wen jiang, who is an awesome and underated actor. for whatever odd reason though the movie skips right over the nanking massacre and the atrocities leading up to it. a rather uncharacteristic exception to my earlier statement.

Chacha
January 13th, 2010, 04:10
That is a great movie Lionheart,

I have watched this movie, a long time ago, 2 years....(?)

These Chinese actors/actress did a great job....

Michelle Yeoh is great, I have watched her in other Chinese International movies and her performance is highly rated! ;)

cheezyflier
January 13th, 2010, 04:59
Michelle Yeoh is great, I have watched her in other Chinese International movies and her performance is highly rated! ;)

you have such good taste, :icon_lol:i like you more and more with each post :icon_lol:

http://www.michelleyeoh.info/

arrowmaker
January 13th, 2010, 07:35
I remember looking at the synopsis on the back of the dvd recently and thinking to myself that it sounded very much like The Inn of the Sixth Happiness. Is this the case?

cheezyflier
January 13th, 2010, 11:06
similarities but not the same story

Chacha
January 13th, 2010, 11:45
you have such good taste, :icon_lol:i like you more and more with each post :icon_lol:

http://www.michelleyeoh.info/

Thanks Cheezy..... :engel016:

MyassisDragon
January 13th, 2010, 21:12
Saw it, liked it, good movie based on a great true story.