PDA

View Full Version : Retirement sure sounds sweet

hey_moe
January 11th, 2010, 16:11
I am so close to retirement I can't stand it..lol. I have been out on sick leave since the second week in Dec, I should be out till some time in Feb. but I told Linda this morning I would just like to go back and turn in my notice. I thought by now I would be retired but still banging away. One of us can retire now and I would like to see Linda put her papers in but she says she just isn't ready to call it quits. I wonder how many of you guys are ready to call it quits but just can't do it right now,,,,waaaaaaaa..Mike

Wittpilot
January 11th, 2010, 16:20
Here's to you Moe...

I sure am "ready to call it quits"..... but also "cant' do it right now"!!!

Willy
January 11th, 2010, 16:23
I've been retired for over 12 years now. The only thing I miss about it is the paychecks.

hey_moe
January 11th, 2010, 16:26
You only 27 years old.....cccchet...I can't even remember that far back...and Willy I am jealous.
Here's to you Moe...

I sure am "ready to call it quits"..... but also "cant' do it right now"!!!

Odie
January 11th, 2010, 16:27
I got the years of service...just not the age. Nine months to go and I'll have the age! It's gonna be a long nine months.....:bump:

hurricane3
January 11th, 2010, 16:37
I was 62 last July and was gonna go till 65 ,but am so stressed out I'am going to go this spring for better or for worse.I don't recommed everyone doing this, but I'am just gonna close my eyes and jump.Ahh ,anyone care to recommend a good old folks home?

brad kaste
January 11th, 2010, 16:58
June of 2005 I pulled the Retirement 'D' Ring. No regrets,...it's been wonderful. Just wonderful.The first thing you'll notice is the stress factor washes away as if it was never there....

GT182
January 11th, 2010, 17:05
Retire... horse hockey. I wish I could go back to work. Life as you know it Moe will never be the same once you retire. What you have for money now, you sure as hell won't afterwards. Unless of course you will have a great pension.... or you are filthy rich.

We're not rich by any means and we're just squeeking by. Cable tv and internet will be the next thing we won't be able to afford... and it's just around the corner.

An example of what hit us today:

We received a letter from our bank today, we're over drawn in our checking acct' by 346.00. And..... we shouldn't be. Come to find out our supplemetary health insurance provider nailed us but good, We've got automatic payments for that and life insurance thru our checking... but that's coming to and end for the health insurance... pronto.

Sterling Life Ins. nailed each of us for 183.00.That's a 143.00 increase per month starting this month. The bank nailed us for the overdrafts by 70.00, that's 35.00 per each withdrawl Sterling made. Sterling said we were notified this past October by letter, which we never received, that our cost was going up. Now we're cancelling them and trying to get the money for January paid back, which they said they will do. They were told to pay us the 70.00 for the overdraft they caused. They say more than likely not. So, I filed a complaint with the DE Insurance Commision, which they received 2 minutes after it was filed by email. I know because I called and the lady was looking at it right then. It will be assigned to someone who will probably call tomorrow she said. And she hinted they are wrong in doing what they did.

Now the reason why our supplemental went up by 143.00 each per month.... It's because of the health care bill care our President and Congress is pushing on us. The Sterling rep actually said that. So be warned... everyone's supplemental health insurance they have now is going up sky high. Thank you President Obama.... we will not forget you and any bills for health care we get that Medicare won't cover will be sent to you. That was part this years retiremnt gift to us from him and them. The other was no SS raise and a raise in our cost for Medicare.

Do you really want to retire now Moe? If the answer is yes, then reconsider. You are still young, don't waste it. Make all you can now. Your Social Security will be nowhere what it's suooped to be at age 65. Can you afford that loss now, which you will never recover at 65?

WarHorse47
January 11th, 2010, 17:34
I turned 62 last March and had actually planned to retire last September but the recession got in my way. The projections I had predicted for my retirement investments didn't pan out. In fact they lost value when the stock market took a dive.

Fortunately, I still have a job and am needed so I can likely work until I'm eligible for Medicare. At the moment I'm wating to see how the new Health Care Plan will impact my medical coverage and I'm wating to see what other surprises will come in 2010.

I just have to put faith in knowing when the time is right. :mixedsmi:

--WH

jmig
January 11th, 2010, 17:42
Some will tell you I am already retired. :icon_lol: Actually, I enjoy what I do. It gives me an opportunity to travel and visit people. SO, unless something happens with my industry that drops out the floor, I think I will stick around.

hey_moe
January 11th, 2010, 17:42
Damn Gary...that sure sucks. I can't comment on the other part because it starts with a P...lol but the insurance crap is something I been hearing over and over again.It seems as each passing year the rates just keep going up.My cost of living raise each year doesn't even cover the increase in insurance and other deductions I have..Mike

Henry
January 11th, 2010, 17:48
sadly my wife would love to retire
she works 6 days a week,
but she has always made at least twice as much as me
the legal profession pays well
and im unemployed
so im the stay at home cook/cleaner
if i could swap i would any day
H

jmig
January 11th, 2010, 17:56
sadly my wife would love to retire
she works 6 days a week,
but she has always made at least twice as much as me
the legal profession pays well
and im unemployed
so im the stay at home cook/cleaner
if i could swap i would any day
H

For a man, losing his job strikes at the core of his identity as a man. He is no longer the provider. Say what you want to make it sound less awful but, it still sucks big time.

You, Henry, and everyone else seeking to provide for their family has my sympathy.

GT182
January 11th, 2010, 18:06
Mike, the health insurance thing is going to get worse not better. What I'm going thru is just a omen. One day this week we're off to sign up for Medicaid. That's something I never thought I'd say.

No Social Security raise, price of Medicare going up and up, what's next, the price of peanut butter going thru the roof again? That would just kill our weekend entertainment. :rolleyes:

harleyman
January 11th, 2010, 18:48
I retired 4 years ago ...

Sept year before last the market dropped..i lost a 1/3 of my retirement money..

The local paper just did an interview on me and several others that were forced back to work in this economic downfall....

As you all know I opened a computer repair, upgrade, custom build shop.. to supplement my losses.

So far its is almost holding its own after 4 months..

But I ain't been paid yet...LOL

Anf retirement was great till that happened...Cross country trips on the Harley...Three week vacations just wandering around state to state..cruises to cool places, hati was my favorite... Thats all suddenly stopped , and now it sucks out loud...LOL

Cazzie
January 12th, 2010, 01:54
I'm there Mike and in my best Jim Carrey, "I like it"!

But don't ever think retirement means a life of ease. All your two-bit friends and relatives will know you're no longer working and find things to keep you busy.

And do get use to living on a fixed income, that becomes more fixed every year!

Fortunately, I have insurance on my wife's plan and do not have to use Medicare yet.

One great thing about retirement, I do not have to deal with the idiot public any longer!

Caz

hey_moe
January 12th, 2010, 03:39
Most likely when I fully retire I might work part time at Lowes or Home Depot a couple a days a week just to keep busy. I have no problem working 2 or 3 days in a stress free job. When I took a leave of absents for a year and just did absolutely nothing for that full year except spend money and go on cruises and up to the mountains I can see that can get quite expensive...lol. Being diabetic doesn't help either. We are lucky to have the kind of insurance that Linda's employer offers. Linda says when she retires she will most likely go back and work 1 or 2 days a week just to carry the insurance that her company offers. Most of the ones who have retired do this just for the insurance cost. Linda and I could both retire right now but we both like our toys and traveling. Linda also helps her son out too.When I mean help her son out, like she has cleared well over a quarter million after taxes on him in 12 years. He is 31 going on 12. He quit his management job and now delivers news papers in the morning.So you know who got stuck picking up the rest of his bills...lol...Mike

Snuffy
January 12th, 2010, 03:58
Unfortunately some of us can't afford to retire. :isadizzy:

And that's only cuz we're living a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Champagne </st1:place></st1:State>life on beer wages!

Crusader
January 12th, 2010, 04:53
Hay Mike , really glad you are heading in the right direction health wise . As you can see we present with different scenarios , backgrounds and needs . In my particular situation , it can relate alittle to yours and a few others here . I worked in the healthcare field(Cardio-Pulmonary) for over 26 years , retiring a year ago (Fairfield Medical Center-a hospital). It required long hours and weekends . I basically ran from room to room , floor to floor , Back and forth to the ER and ICU . During your stint in the hospital you probably got an idea what nurses and other healthcare personnel go through . It's VERY fast paced and stressful . In July of 2008 I had 2 stents put in my heart and was off for a month . I turned 61 in Oct 08 and was already okay'ed to go back with really no retrictions but I decided to go partime instead with a couple 8 hour shifts a week instead . My wife and I talked it over and I decided to officially retire in Jan 09 . I am very blessed and one of the lucky ones in that she is a Registered Nurse and I am on her insurance . I also am retired from the Air Force Reserves and Use TRICARE as a supplement and it usually picks up most of what her insurance dosen't , including medications . Susie(wife) is 56 and has already stated she has no intention of retiring and knowing her will probably will stick it out to 66 or beyond . She has been in the field over 30 years . When I hit 62 I elected to draw social security so things are too terribly bad .

As mentioned above , (Brad) you will really notice that the stress is lifted from your shoulders and you notice a real BIG difference , believe me . Also mentioned above is that you will have to get use to a " fixed income " . It's funny you mentioned Lowes . I was thinking the same thing my self . My wife is all for it . The idea really pleases her she as it would get me out of the house a couple days a week . LOL

Bottom Line : I love being retired . It's a whole different life .:running:

Good luck and good health ,

Rich

safn1949
January 12th, 2010, 05:42
Good luck Moe,I'm a little different in that I live a very simple life,no mortgage,car payments or bank loans.I owe a little on a student loan that comes out of my account every month,only 5K or so and that's it.

I would have to work part time just to keep busy,going to get a camper next year,that way I always have a place to call home and can pack up and follow the weather and the work.

I realize I am going to live on a tight budget,but I have everything I want now as far as material goods,just need to get the truck and camper next year and I will work and pay cash for that.I ain't proud.I drive a 1994 Ford Explorer now and am happy with it.:d

Just for informational purposes,I make about 45K a year.

hey_moe
January 12th, 2010, 07:20
It's good to know I ain't the only one the retirement area. I would love to unload this 6 bedroom house/3 full baths and a dual heating and cooling system, but Linda loves the space. For me just a 2 or 3 bedroom rancher is fine out in the mountains or some place that is in stick land. Linda doesn't wanna move to far from the grand kids and in this house each grand kids has there own bedroom. I could kick myself in the a$$ for not joining the air force when I had the chance. I was in that Vietnam mess and lucked out and missed the draft. If I had joined the air force, became a pilot and retired in 30 years I would most likely be a tad bit better off.On top of all of that I had a lawyer tell me to quite my HVAC job and get a job working for the government, again I was stupid...lol....oh well life goes on.

Curtis P40
January 12th, 2010, 08:43
Wish I could retire, but I'll be dead by then :bump:

kilo delta
January 12th, 2010, 08:59
Wish I could retire, but I'll be dead by then :bump:

My creditors are devising a cunning plan to extend my natural life in order for them to re-coup their monies!:kilroy:
:icon_lol:

Bjoern
January 12th, 2010, 09:42
My creditors are devising a cunning plan to extend my natural life in order for them to re-coup their monies!:kilroy:
:icon_lol:

I think just harvesting your remaining functioning organs once you kick the bucket will do the trick as well. ;)

Retirement?
LoL, I haven't even started yet.

cheezyflier
January 12th, 2010, 10:21
i used to think retirement would be great. then i came to canada.
i don't think that anymore

Crusader
January 12th, 2010, 10:30
From all the older members here at SOH :

Start preparing for retirement now (financially) . Even if your job has what you think are good retirement benefits , believe me , it probably will not be enough . If it were not for my Air Force Reserve retirement kicking in at 60 , Social Security at 62 , things would not be very rosey . The hospital I worked at retirement left a whole lot to be desired . It certainly would not be near enough to live on its own . The economy really sucks and you never know what could happen in the years ahead . Look at last year 2009 . We will all be paying for that for a long time . In the late 60's , and throughout the 70's while in my 20's I had a wife and one son and times were really LEAN . I worked for various trucking companies and experienced one layoff after another unitl I wised up and went back to school(In my early 30's) Greatest move I ever made .

Bottom Line to young members :

Prepare now ! (right fellow old timers like me ?--http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon7.gif---you KNOW who you are)

Rich:guinness:

GT182
January 12th, 2010, 10:48
The ones I feel sorry for are those that won't have any retirement... just Social Security. They be scrod and don't even know it.

mariereid
January 12th, 2010, 10:57
I am retired Mike, and have lots to do to keep me busy. Thank goodness, we have the house and all the toys paid for. All we have are the normal bills. We do not own any credit cards. Still, sometimes it can be scary when you get an unexpected bill. The wife still works a few hours a week. If the truck lasts the rest of my life and the roof don't cave in, Ill be happy.:ernae:

Crusader
January 12th, 2010, 11:29
The ones I feel sorry for are those that won't have any retirement... just Social Security. They be scrod and don't even know it.

I couldn't agree with you more Gary . My Dad (God rest his soul) retired from Jeffrey Mining Machinery in Columbus , Ohio after 44 years in a machine shop at the age of 62 or 63? . Even as a union member , he use to tell me every contract time the younger members would vote in higher wages and virtually no retirement benefits and he ended up with around $400 a month plus Social Security . His house was paid for and he and my Mom(God rest her soul) were happy and content . Their generation handled adversity and hardtimes alot easier than ours and especially our kids and grandkids. My wife and I are most certainly middleclass and damn proud of it . Our kids are all grown and gone from the roost and the grandkids are getting bigger. One of my jobs now being retired is to chauffeur the grandkids to basketball , softball practice or whatever and to various appointments while their Moms and Dads both work and try to make a living .

Talk to you later Gary . Things will improve . Just have alittle faith and patience and hopefully things will get better . Words don't pay the bills I know but it sure as heck can't hurt .

Rich:ernae:

safn1949
January 12th, 2010, 11:40

That would be me,and I do know it.My only saving grace is in the post I did before,I am used to living on $6-800 a month,I do real good on $800.Everything will be paid for and I will work when I have too.

But I already told the 36 yr old girlfriend that more then likely she won't even get any Social Security so she better get ready.

I just don't have the need for a house and don't have any wife or kids,so no grandkids.Not that they are a bad thing,you guys are lucky to have them,it just isn't my style.(translation-mean old coot who can't stand the racket of kids):d

But you young guys...I am willing to bet you would be appalled at the lack of stuff I am used to and the simple way I live.

cheezyflier
January 12th, 2010, 13:42
That would be me,and I do know it.

and me too.
i have long said that i will prolly die at work. i used to think that was a sad thing.
now to be honest, the idea of not being able to work when i get older is more of a nightmare. the boredom would drive me insane.

hey_moe
January 12th, 2010, 14:14
Well I enjoyed the time I took a year off and I have enjoyed being off these last 6 weeks, But I also have a full paycheck still coming in...thank goodness. Linda also makes good money.I know when I do retire I won't be able to buy and do all the things I do now but I might not feel like doing everything I do now anyway.Like I said before,I would love to get a small house in the country away from everything.

Roger
January 12th, 2010, 14:34
I wish I could even consider the possibility of retirement before I'm 65 but that's 7 years away. Twice divorced that luxury is a mere pipe dream and I envy those of you who can consider retirement.

Naismith
January 12th, 2010, 14:43
i used to think retirement would be great. then i came to canada.
i don't think that anymore

Why? Statements without supporting facts tell us nothing.

cheezyflier
January 12th, 2010, 18:21
it's not a knock on canada. when i moved here in 9/2006 there was a snag with my immigration. it's been over 3 years so far and i'm still not a landed immigrant. since coming here i have not been allowed to cross the border to see my family and friends in the states, and i only recieved my work permit for the first time in november, just a couple months ago. not having a job for 3 years, and living off of my wifes salary has meant seriously changing the lifestyle i'm used to. i've had to sell off my cars and my motorcycle, and all of the other cool stuff i used to have. anyhow, that means no $$ to do fun stuff, and way too much time on my hands. i'm still up at 5 am every day and do anything i can think of to make the time pass. tomorrow i see the ministry of training to begin the process of getting the license that will enable to work in my trade here in ontario. i hope soon to join the local and begin putting my family in the lifestyle that i originally intended for them.

safn1949
January 13th, 2010, 04:29
Good luck with that,I hope it works out for you.:ernae: