MCDesigns
January 11th, 2010, 15:49
Sweet! Will be picking it up very soon!:ernae:

euroastar350
January 11th, 2010, 16:04
Awesome...gotta wait til payday for this one:kilroy:

flaviossa
January 11th, 2010, 18:14
Very well done model, sound package is ok, average fde, VC is ok but few clickable spots (Just the basic and this is it).
In the end a good package for fun, not for "simulation"! :engel016:
Maybe too expensive for what is released? I donīt know at the moment. Have to fly it more .....

falcon409
January 11th, 2010, 18:28
Very well done model, sound package is ok, average fde, VC is ok but few clickable spots (Just the basic and this is it).
In the end a good package for fun, not for "simulation"! :engel016:
Maybe too expensive for what is released? I donīt know at the moment. Have to fly it more .....
Flaviossa, can you expand a bit on a few things? The average FDE, how is it average? In others words I guess what I'm asking really is, what are you basing the performance on? The clickable VC, you say only the basics, what does that cover exactly?

flaviossa
January 11th, 2010, 18:41
Well, iīm not a chopper pilot but iīm comparing it with the dodosim in terms of performance. For example, the hovering is granted to easy ... The Dodosim is more complex to achieve.
The VC is beatifull but not "clickable". As for example the collective donīt move and iīm searching until now how to turn off the engines without using ctrl+shift+f1
And i just did one flight of 15 minutes with it. Maybe i have to fly it more and see what it can do. Please donīt take my words as final! Maybe other simmers can find things that i was unable to see. Here in Brazil is 01:00 in the morning ... and i am almost sleeping in the keyboard. Maybe tomorrow i can get you more answers!! :salute:

falcon409
January 11th, 2010, 18:57
Well, iīm not a chopper pilot but iīm comparing it with the dodosim in terms of performance. For example, the hovering is granted to easy ... The Dodosim is more complex to achieve.
The VC is beatifull but not "clickable". As for example the collective donīt move and iīm searching until now how to turn off the engines without using ctrl+shift+f1
And i just did one flight of 15 minutes with it. Maybe i have to fly it more and see what it can do. Please donīt take my words as final! Maybe other simmers can find things that i was unable to see. Here in Brazil is 01:00 in the morning ... and i am almost sleeping in the keyboard. Maybe tomorrow i can get you more answers!! :salute:
Fair enough. I went to the Support Forum and the product forum thinking I might find more there as far as what they expected from the VC. The only thing I could find was a short statement to the effect that "almost all of the VC is clickable". That statement begs the question though. . .of the clickable switches. . .how many are "functional"?

As for the FDE. . .man, that's a tough call because none of us (that I know of) have flown the Kiowa, so pitting it up against another Chopper that none of us have flown as a guide might require a bit more testing, lol.

I won't purchase this as much as I'd love to. . .finances will keep my card in the wallet, but overall, it "looks" fabulous. I'd be interested to hear more on the VC and FDE from others, especially if we happen to have a real world Kiowa pilot in our midst. . . .shoot, any chopper pilot would be excellent, lol.:applause:

Dain Arns
January 11th, 2010, 21:01
It'll be a while before I can afford it as well. Would love to do a comparison. :kilroy:

Txmmy83
January 11th, 2010, 23:30
looks like they are pros in designing helos
I already have their cobra which I like

BR
Tom

Quixoticish
January 11th, 2010, 23:53
Is there a repaint kit?

arrowmaker
January 12th, 2010, 04:12
Well, iīm not a chopper pilot but iīm comparing it with the dodosim in terms of performance.

Well to be honest, my understanding is that pretty much every heli addon will come off worse when compared to the Dodosim. However not really being a rotorhead myself, I quite enjoy the simpler models. The AlphaSim Apache and Black Shark are probably my favourite heli's for FSX. So this Kiowa might suit. However I think I'll wait until more opinion's are out. And for the price to drop. To me it seems to be a little too expensive, for what it is.

Txmmy83
January 12th, 2010, 04:27
To me it seems to be a little too expensive, for what it is.

I think the Price is justified since you get both FSX&FS9 Version in one Package

BR
Tom

Boomer
January 12th, 2010, 05:08
While I am not a fan of the Kiowa I will probably get it if it is well done.

How about some shots of the VC?

Txmmy83
January 12th, 2010, 06:19
How about some shots of the VC?

their are few VC shots on product site follow the link in first post of this topic

BR
Tom

Boomer
January 12th, 2010, 06:31
I saw those, staged shots & none from the pilots perspective.

User screen shots are usually very different.

flaviossa
January 12th, 2010, 06:53
Iīll post more tonight (With VC shots) when i get home :salute:

djscoo
January 12th, 2010, 09:11
The only thing holding me back on this one is the area behind the pedals...shouldn't that be transparent instead of untextured grey?

MCDesigns
January 12th, 2010, 13:13
I LIKE it!! Great textures, little details, animated pilots, easy on the frames, plenty of variations on the models and the sound is different (no idea what it's supposed to sound like, but I like it). The VC is good, nothing spectacular, but good textures and believable (would have liked a crew member in the VC, oh well)
The only thing I have any issue with is the rotor animation, a bit slower than expected, but I have seen worse. I believe the modeler is the same guy that does the military helis for Abacus, but obviously he has taken the detail up a few notches.

Nice to have this one for flying around Afghanistan! :ernae:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4963/38663969.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/240/57252459.jpg

flaviossa
January 12th, 2010, 16:58
Hello!
Here iīm again! As a friend above asked, here are more screens of it. With more details of the VC. As i said before, itīs a very good model but for fun not for simulation. I can confirm now, the vc has little options, thereīs no way to start the engines besides ctr+shift+f4. Also noticed that the power off sound is strange with an abruptuos cut in it. But i must say that when i bought it i was not expecting a "simulation machine". Iīm just saying it in here for you guys that it can be a little disappointing for the ultra-power-simmers-boys!!!
OBs: I didnīt know that war machines like this has "No smoking sign" (Red marked) ... Imagine if the pilotīs pants catch fire and he triggers a helfire by mistake ... :icon_lol:

But ... i like it!!!:pop4:

Boomer
January 13th, 2010, 03:48
Thanks guys,

It does look nice. I think I will get it this evening.

WarHorse47
January 13th, 2010, 18:14
Hmm....

I just made a purchase. Now what? No automatic download. Do I wait for an e-mail or something?? No instructions on the site to tell you what to expect.

--WH

MCDesigns
January 13th, 2010, 18:23
Hmm....

I just made a purchase. Now what? No automatic download. Do I wait for an e-mail or something?? No instructions on the site to tell you what to expect.

--WH

I purchased from the Flightsim store since I have purchased from there before. Got an instant d/l, but had to wait for a serial number in my email to install, took about half an hour.

WarHorse47
January 13th, 2010, 18:27
I purchased from the Flightsim store since I have purchased from there before. Got an instant d/l, but had to wait for a serial number in my email to install, took about half an hour.Thanks, Michael. I guess I could have done that. Nuts. I order mine right from the Area 51 site. Since their offices are in Turkey and China, I may have a wait.

--WH

djscoo
January 14th, 2010, 16:47
Thanks, Michael. I guess I could have done that. Nuts. I order mine right from the Area 51 site. Since their offices are in Turkey and China, I may have a wait.

--WH
I just did the same thing...have you gotten anything from them yet?

flaviossa
January 14th, 2010, 17:03
I bought from their site too. Sent them the paypal data of the purchase thru the support email and recieved my serial in less them 1 hour later.

djscoo
January 14th, 2010, 17:10
All's well! I'm used to instantaneous links, but I just got mine via email. :ernae:

WarHorse47
January 14th, 2010, 17:16
I just did the same thing...have you gotten anything from them yet?Yes. It took about an hour. I also registered for their forum, but have not received verification yet. A little concerning since their site indicates 24/7 support. Oh well.

I do have the Kiowa now, and its a nice little a/c. Not much of a manual, however. I'm still trying to figure out how to set the HSI directions for heading and Nav point.

--WH

Carbine1
January 15th, 2010, 16:14
Looks good to me guys, some nice shots of it as well.

Cheers.

djscoo
January 15th, 2010, 19:00
This is a great chopper! The screenshots on the website are off-putting, but I'm glad I got it. I took it on a short flight, and of course my joystick started malfunctioning due to a Coca-Cola bath it took a few weeks ago...but I liked what I saw. Hopefully my new stick gets here soon!

kilo delta
July 21st, 2010, 17:29
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but this seemed the most appropriate place for my question. :)

Has anyone merged the Area51 Kiowa external model with the Dodosim 206 vc, FDE and possibly all/most working systems, or is this possible?

Edit: btw I know that the 206 and Kiowa cockpits are radically different IRL, just thought it'd be nice to have the Kiowa externals with the Dodosim internals/systems. ;)