PDA

View Full Version : Kay Kyser's College of Musical Knowledge....

Navy Chief
January 11th, 2010, 11:57
I love the Big Band era, and specifically, Kay Kyser. He was definitely a unique performer. He made a few movies too; not many. I found one on Netflix, called "You'll Find Out". It is great! Fantastic big band music, and humor too.

Ynm3fat4adk&feature=youtube_gdata

kH-krlgo2e8&feature=youtube_gdata

Vmc-PKsE8lk&feature=youtube_gdata

Helldiver
January 11th, 2010, 12:33
I believe that's Ginny Sims and the Modernaires singing in the first film. Wow,does that take me back. Thank you.

Navy Chief
January 11th, 2010, 12:52
I believe that's Ginny Sims and the Modernaires singing in the first film. Wow,does that take me back. Thank you.

That's right, Helldiver, and you are quite welcome.

Besides Kay Kyser, starring in the film are Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Peter Lorre!

My late uncle told me of seeing Kay Kyser perform in Chicago, back in the early 40s. That must have been quite an experience.

NC

Pauke! Pauke!
January 11th, 2010, 15:12
Thanks Navy Chief! None better than Kay Kyser. His orchestra were first class musicians with some comedic personalities like Ish Kabibble. There were some other bands that were funny too like Spike Jones and the City Slickers but they didn't have the style and class of Kay Kyser and generally could not back up a vocalist as Kyser's orchestra could. I love big band music also.

9gzT2Ftu4kE

BU9u9Jb36AU&feature

lvt4b_qwC_Q

Hals und Bein Bruch
January 11th, 2010, 21:04
correct me if I'm wrong, HD, but films are a dim reflection of what these bands sounded like live...I heard a full swing band live at the Kennedy Center once and the sheer sonic impact was overpowering! did you hear any of the famous bands live, by any chance..?

Helldiver
January 12th, 2010, 01:30
I have seen Glenn Miller, (twice) Tommy Dorsey, Frank Sinatra (twice) Woody Herman, Benny Goodman, Louis Prima and many others.
My father was a "pick up" musician and played with all the orchestras. So I got in free. mostly at the RKO in Boston, Totem Pole in Newton and the Kernwood at Lynnfield.
They were all great musicians and there wasn't a single guitar among them.

Navy Chief
January 12th, 2010, 02:18
I have seen Glenn Miller, (twice) Tommy Dorsey, Frank Sinatra (twice) Woody Herman, Benny Goodman, Louis Prima and many others.
My father was a "pick up" musician and played with all the orchestras. So I got in free. mostly at the RKO in Boston, Totem Pole in Newton and the Kernwood at Lynnfield.
They were all great musicians and there wasn't a single guitar among them.

Oh, how I wished I'd lived back then. So much talent. The music was (still is) ageless. The clothes back then were stylish too!

NC