PDA

View Full Version : 15 B-52 MITO

JoeW
January 11th, 2010, 11:16
My cousin sent this. Very impressive. You are not likely to ever see this again.

Video taken at Minot AFB, ND… B52’s are an very old plane but still awesome….. I like his words at the very end…..

This will give you goose bumps!
if you are into aviation.

<table style="width: 100%;" class="MsoNormalTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="padding: 1.5pt; width: 100%;" width="100%">

<table style="width: 100%;" class="MsoNormalTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="padding: 1.5pt; width: 100%;" width="100%"> BG,Considering your time in The USAF, reliving this for ten minutes should get your
heart thumping!
</td></tr></tbody></table>
If you never seen a MITO , you have really missed something. For those who don't know,a MITO is a Minimum Interval Take Off.

Listen to the tower controller's comments particularly the very last one! The forwarding comments are from an old USMC pilot buddy of mine. I remember in 1960, I was shooting practice GCAs at March AFB. After crossing the approach end of the runway, I broadcast my intention to wave off and leave the pattern for home. I was "firmly" instructed to continue to landing and roll out to a full stop! I had been caught in the beginning of one of these alerts and all flight operations in the controlled airspace had been
halted. I had to wait it out in the Ops shack until all the big birds were airborne and had departed. If I remember correctly, since I had been "held against my will" I did get a free cheeseburger out of it!

Gig'em & God Bless America :

If you are an aviation buff and, if you have ten minutes, watch this. About 44 years ago, when I was clunking around the South Pacific, I used to hear broadcasts in the blind telling the B-52s their new shackle codes. "Sky King, Sky King, do not answer, do not answer, shackle Bravo, Whisky, Zulu" etc. Then if you were going into Anderson AFB on Guam , the NOTAMS would warn you about restrictions to landings during the hours so and so to so and so. Heavy Traffic has priority. Should you happen to miss this warning, you either Bingoed to Navy Agana on the other side of the island, or put it in the drink. When those 52s were launching for SE Asia , nobody, but nobody interrupted that launch. They would roll and roll and roll and roll. Anderson was about 15,000 ft. With an upsweep, sorta like a ski jump. A lotta times, I would plan my ETA with the end of the launch cycle and would hold clear until it was over. Boy what a sight, did they ever smoke. I even prayed a time or two that the big bastard would unstick from the runway and get airborne. I think about it even now and get chill bumps. Remember those wing tips move up and down about 12 feet. During this film clip you can see the outriggers leave the runway as they approach V1 and V2. Think about the bomb load that just left the ground........

Have not seen this in almost fifty years....Gen. Curtis Le May invented this in the late fifties.. They lived in Alert Facilities from 1960 until even today....these aircraft were armed and ready for duty ..... hope they still are...during the Cuban crisis they refueled two of the B-52's on each mission over Spain as they patrolled around the perimeters of Russia .

Hank.

http://www.fark.com/cgi/vidplayer.pl?IDLink=4632948 (http://www.fark.com/cgi/vidplayer.pl?IDLink=4632948)

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Trans_23
January 11th, 2010, 13:41
Nice! :applause::applause:

b52bob
January 11th, 2010, 16:22
Man, does that bring back memories! I remember MITO qualifications at Blytheville and it truly was spectacular but I remember them closer than that...every 15 seconds.

Thanks so much for the HU for the video

Bob

RyanJames170
January 11th, 2010, 18:08
now thats just plane cool

Piglet
January 11th, 2010, 18:34
That was cool! Liked how they smoked up the sky as they flew off to the horizon.

Bjoern
January 12th, 2010, 09:50
Dinosaurs at work. Cool.

waco
January 12th, 2010, 13:29
I started in on A models at Roswell when the flight crews were bringing them in from Castle I believe. My first ORI was when Lemay flew in one morning. I remember those early models climbed out with the nose trimmed down slightly. Spent a lot of time at the alert pads, especially during the Cuban Missle Crisis. I was at Sheppard by then. BUFFs bring back a lot of memories. The static display one at March was one I worked on back at Roswell. The one at Fairchild, my home area now, was another. Sure dates me. Over fifty years ago. I guess that makes me a dinosaur, too.

redfly
January 12th, 2010, 15:08
I went to UND in Grand Forks, ND and my aerodynamics teacher was a retired BUFF driver named Col. Joe Zarahdka. Dr. Z as we called him (he had a doctorate in aviation law too) had flown some 80 or 90 missions over South East Asia and had quite a few interesting BUff stories, as well as a few B-47 stories. One day in class he brings out his old Super 8 film of an ORI from GFK AFB during the mid 1960's. He was flying the last plane in line. By the time he got off the ground the wingtip vortices from the previous 14 aircraft were so strong that he needed full left aileron and quite a bit of rudder to keep the beast upright. The plane was rolling to the right and on film it looked like it was about a 45 degree bank angle before the controls took effect. Dr. Z. said his crew was ready to punch out because the plane was reacting so slowly they all thought they were going to buy the farm. Obviously he survived... Still an awsome sight even today. Gotta love the BUFF :salute:

cheezyflier
January 12th, 2010, 19:00
i would love to see a vid of them landing all those ships

Pauke! Pauke!
January 13th, 2010, 11:46
Great video! I saw something like this back in the 1960's as I traveled on either I-5 or US-99 in California going North to the Pacific Northwest. It was near Yuba City North of Sacramento CA out of Beale AFB. You could see the engine smoke as they lifted off the runway and see them gain altitude towards the Northwest almost parallel to the highway but a couple miles off. You could see them from a long way off much like the video when they panned to the right in the direction that the group was flying. The video was awesome. SAC isn't at Beale AFB anymore I think the SAC B-52 group moved to other bases back in the late 1970's.

Marlin
January 13th, 2010, 17:25
Awesome vid :salute:

Thanks for posting it.:ernae:

brad kaste
January 13th, 2010, 17:37
LeMay must be looking down smiling.......:applause: