PDA

View Full Version : Next 30 years!

Snuffy
January 11th, 2010, 09:56
Yee Haw! Let the fun begin! (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/01/11/years-global-cooling-coming-say-leading-scientists/)

DaveKDEN
January 11th, 2010, 10:01
:icon_lol: So the Earth's climate goes through natural fluxuations over tens, hundreds, thousands and millions of years that man has no control over. Hmm, has somebody told Al Gore yet?

Willy
January 11th, 2010, 10:08
Has anyone told the GW crowd at Osos? ;)

Helldiver
January 11th, 2010, 10:34
In the next 30 years I'll be 111 years old. Snuffy, you'll be 84 years old. The next thirty years will go by quick as a whiz. When your 84 you'll remember me telling you this. So if you have any unfulfilled wshes, do them now.

Henry
January 11th, 2010, 10:40
In the next 30 years I'll be 111 years old. Snuffy, you'll be 84 years old. The next thirty years will go by quick as a whiz. When your 84 you'll remember me telling you this. So if you have any unfulfilled wshes, do them now.
an i will be 88
i have unfilled wishes but im to old already:icon_lol:
LOL
H

Roger
January 11th, 2010, 10:53
an i will be 88
LOL
H

You & me both H:bump:

DaveKDEN
January 11th, 2010, 10:57
Sheez, I hadn't thought of that. I'll be 75.

Crusader
January 11th, 2010, 12:03
an i will be 88
LOL
H

You and me both brother .:icon_lol: I sometimes feel like Tim Conway on the the Carol Burnett show when he and Carol use to play an elderly couple sitting on the porch swinging and Grandpa would reach over and place his hand on Grandma's knee and she would slap it away and state "It's not that time of the year yet " . Yes , those unfullfilled wishes . http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Rich

Snuffy
January 11th, 2010, 12:06
Guess you didn't click the link eh HD? LOL! :bump:

Helldiver
January 11th, 2010, 12:38
What link?

safn1949
January 11th, 2010, 13:00
an i will be 88
LOL
H

Oh no,you won't get off that easy Henry.I'm 54 and in 2 1/2 months I am going to hike the entire Appalachian Trail,2160 miles.Am I fit and in shape?......nope,been sitting on my duff for 2 years driving truck.

But I will do it...too old phfffft.:d

Snuffy
January 11th, 2010, 14:05
What link?

The text in my post ... its underlined, its a link. click it. :salute:

OBIO
January 11th, 2010, 15:31
I have never really given much credence to the whole Global Warming thing. I have been interested in Geology and rocks since I was a kid. I have spent many a happy hour sitting on a gravel bar in the middle of a fast flowing creek finding fossils...at one point I had quite a collection of fossils, ranging from the size of my thumb nail all the way up to a one foot long section of fossilized spine...I once even found a hollow rock, that once split open, revealed the perfectly preserved impression of an ancient Nautaulis looking thingiemajig.

As part of my interest in Geology and fossils and rocks...I did quite of bit of reading on the subjects..and many many years ago I came across quite a bit of imformation concerning the record of weather found in rocks and fossils. It has been known for quite some time that the earth's weather is not static..that it goes through warming and cooling phases. There was a pretty clear pattern of these phases evidenced in the layers of rock and fossils. We have simply been in a warming phase for a while, and are now entering a cooling phase.

I won't discuss my views of the whole Global Warming movement as that would be highly political, political to the extreme actually. So, I will end this post with just a bit of a suggestion:

Turn off your TV, go to your local library, grab some old musty books on geology (not the new shiny ones written within the last 10 to 20 years...the old ones from 70s and before) and do some reading. In those heavy tomes, you will find the same information that I found years ago...information that will set to rest this entire Global Warming bugaboo.

OBIO

cheezyflier
January 11th, 2010, 15:54
i always knew global warming was a hoax. i've known from day one

Henry
January 11th, 2010, 16:11
Oh no,you won't get off that easy Henry.I'm 54 and in 2 1/2 months I am going to hike the entire Appalachian Trail,2160 miles.Am I fit and in shape?......nope,been sitting on my duff for 2 years driving truck.

the mind is willing the body aint
H

Willy
January 11th, 2010, 16:13
I might have to get a fur covered saddle for my horse....

yank51
January 11th, 2010, 16:17
It's funny, but I always seem to see the nay-sayers here, and never the GW crowd. Now why is that? I'm NOT saying the GW crowd is right, but, what I am saying is we have a couple of options here. Do something and be wrong, or do nothing and still be wrong. Pretty simple, right??:applause:

DaveKDEN
January 11th, 2010, 16:33
I have never really given much credence to the whole Global Warming thing. I have been interested in Geology and rocks since I was a kid. I have spent many a happy hour sitting on a gravel bar in the middle of a fast flowing creek finding fossils...at one point I had quite a collection of fossils, ranging from the size of my thumb nail all the way up to a one foot long section of fossilized spine...I once even found a hollow rock, that once split open, revealed the perfectly preserved impression of an ancient Nautaulis looking thingiemajig.

As part of my interest in Geology and fossils and rocks...I did quite of bit of reading on the subjects..and many many years ago I came across quite a bit of imformation concerning the record of weather found in rocks and fossils. It has been known for quite some time that the earth's weather is not static..that it goes through warming and cooling phases. There was a pretty clear pattern of these phases evidenced in the layers of rock and fossils. We have simply been in a warming phase for a while, and are now entering a cooling phase.

I won't discuss my views of the whole Global Warming movement as that would be highly political, political to the extreme actually. So, I will end this post with just a bit of a suggestion:

Turn off your TV, go to your local library, grab some old musty books on geology (not the new shiny ones written within the last 10 to 20 years...the old ones from 70s and before) and do some reading. In those heavy tomes, you will find the same information that I found years ago...information that will set to rest this entire Global Warming bugaboo.

OBIO

EXCELLENT Obio!!!

DaveKDEN
January 11th, 2010, 16:49
It's funny, but I always seem to see the nay-sayers here, and never the GW crowd. Now why is that? I'm NOT saying the GW crowd is right, but, what I am saying is we have a couple of options here. Do something and be wrong, or do nothing and still be wrong. Pretty simple, right??:applause:

I think it better to do nothing on unproven and dubious science, than to potentially ruin the economy on the arguements that have been made to date.

HOWEVER (and this is a big one) I am ALL FOR research, development, and implementation of alternative/advanced forms of energy production, so long as it MAKES SENSE. Anything that gets us off of Mid-East knucklehead oil (and nutcase Hugo Chavez as well) is a good thing. But what I see going on in the AGW movement is lies, scare tactics, and name calling in order to further a social and political agenda that is decidedly anti-democratic. Also, it seems to me being "green" now-a-days is more about green dollars than green trees (need I remind anyone that ole' Al Gore is getting rich off the whole thing).

Having said that, my dream is an AFFORDABLE and PRACTICAL grid tie-in solar system and some type of extended range electric vehicle (pure electric or Volt type). I'd like nothing better than to NOT be completely dependant on others for my source of energy. I do see a day where this dream will be very plausible, but it will take time. Imagine only needing to draw energy from the grid when the sun isn't bright enough or at night. Imagine an electric bill of less than $20.00/mo. I spent a painful $135.00 in December (probably as a result of Christmas lights plus everything else). Imagine passing by gas stations with $5.00/gal or higher cost fuel for a month, instead of having to fill up twice a week.

Cheers,
Dave
PS: I do somewhat understand Yank51's point though. But let's make sure we are doing something that's really necessary first. The scare tactics to date are causing too many to rush to judgement.

jmig
January 11th, 2010, 17:48

I love your attitude! At age 50 I climbed Mt Baldy with my Boy Scout troop. All 12,500 feet of it. My two sons were in that group. I will never forget that trip with them.

OBIO
January 11th, 2010, 17:51
Some years back, I read an article in one of the science journals about an experiment with silicone sheets and lasers. The team was trying to modify the silicone with the lasers to produce faster computer processors. They would take the sheets of silicone and hit it with high intensity laser beams...the result was that spikes would form on the silicone sheets. These spiked sheets of silicone did not work for the intended goals...ie, faster processors...but it did do amazing things for solar panels. Those spikes on the silicone greatly increased the surface area of the silicone by a considerable amount..and that increased surface area allowed smaller solar panels to produce the same amount of electricity as much larger conventional solar panels. I can't remember the exact amount of change..but it was something on the magnitude of 2 or 3 times.....that is a solar panel measuring 1 foot by 1 foot using the spiked silicone produced the same amount of electricity as a solar panel of 2 foot by 2 foot or 3 foot by 3 foot when made of the normal non-spiked silicone. The team had plans to use an even higher power laser to produce taller spikes to see just how far this this technique could be pushed....imagine a 1 foot by 1 foot solar panel producing the same amount of electricity as 10 square feet of conventional solar panel. This would drive down the cost of installing solar electric systems in residential applications..not initially, but once it became more common place the price would go down. Heck, they even have solar panel SHINGLES...yes shingles that have solar electric capability...why don't we hear more about them?

What needs to be done is to stop wasting so much money holding symposiums on Global Warming and start spending that money on research for alternative fuel sources. Enhanced solar panels (as in the above discussion), improved and cheaper storage batteries for solar electrical systems, research into the Seeder Nuclear Plants.....nuclear plants that were just beginning to be developed at the end of the Cold War...plants that had the ability to take "spent" fuel rods...which still have some radioactive activity...and reprocess them into new full-strength fuel rods...the left over material was 100% inert with NO radioactive material in them. These Seeder Plants were amazing...but the end of the Cold War cut America's investment into Nuclear research down to nothing and these plants were pushed into the dark closets of scientific research. Geo-thermal is an area that has seen little research....heck, geo-thermal heating and cooling systems for residential use...they are pricier to install than conventional gas furnaces, but the energy and cost savings from using them are huge and well worth the initial investment. If a greater focus were put onto this type of heating and cooling system, they would become more common place and the price would drop. Hydro-electric, wind turbines....so many sources for renewable, cheap energy....I better stop before I get on a soap box and start bashing politicians of every make and model. And the oil companies....best not get myself started on what I think about oil companies.

OBIO

DaveKDEN
January 11th, 2010, 17:58
Some years back, I read an article in one of the science journals about an experiment with silicone sheets and lasers. The team was trying to modify the silicone with the lasers to produce faster computer processors. They would take the sheets of silicone and hit it with high intensity laser beams...the result was that spikes would form on the silicone sheets. These spiked sheets of silicone did not work for the intended goals...ie, faster processors...but it did do amazing things for solar panels. Those spikes on the silicone greatly increased the surface area of the silicone by a considerable amount..and that increased surface area allowed smaller solar panels to produce the same amount of electricity as much larger conventional solar panels. I can't remember the exact amount of change..but it was something on the magnitude of 2 or 3 times.....that is a solar panel measuring 1 foot by 1 foot using the spiked silicone produced the same amount of electricity as a solar panel of 2 foot by 2 foot or 3 foot by 3 foot when made of the normal non-spiked silicone. The team had plans to use an even higher power laser to produce taller spikes to see just how far this this technique could be pushed....imagine a 1 foot by 1 foot solar panel producing the same amount of electricity as 10 square feet of conventional solar panel. This would drive down the cost of installing solar electric systems in residential applications..not initially, but once it became more common place the price would go down. Heck, they even have solar panel SHINGLES...yes shingles that have solar electric capability...why don't we hear more about them?

What needs to be done is to stop wasting so much money holding symposiums on Global Warming and start spending that money on research for alternative fuel sources. Enhanced solar panels (as in the above discussion), improved and cheaper storage batteries for solar electrical systems, research into the Seeder Nuclear Plants.....nuclear plants that were just beginning to be developed at the end of the Cold War...plants that had the ability to take "spent" fuel rods...which still have some radioactive activity...and reprocess them into new full-strength fuel rods...the left over material was 100% inert with NO radioactive material in them. These Seeder Plants were amazing...but the end of the Cold War cut America's investment into Nuclear research down to nothing and these plants were pushed into the dark closets of scientific research. Geo-thermal is an area that has seen little research....heck, geo-thermal heating and cooling systems for residential use...they are pricier to install than conventional gas furnaces, but the energy and cost savings from using them are huge and well worth the initial investment. If a greater focus were put onto this type of heating and cooling system, they would become more common place and the price would drop. Hydro-electric, wind turbines....so many sources for renewable, cheap energy....I better stop before I get on a soap box and start bashing politicians of every make and model. And the oil companies....best not get myself started on what I think about oil companies.

OBIO

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :ernae:

Piglet
January 11th, 2010, 18:54
Hopefully some day , houses will each come with a self-contained power generating system. Provides all electrical needs, charges car, heats water, etc. No more huge power companies, or wiring, towers, etc.
And after the oil runs out ,they can go back to riding camels, and never worry about us.

DaveKDEN
January 11th, 2010, 19:42
Hopefully some day , houses will each come with a self-contained power generating system. Provides all electrical needs, charges car, heats water, etc. No more huge power companies, or wiring, towers, etc.
And after the oil runs out ,they can go back to riding camels, and never worry about us.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :ernae:
I like it!
Dave

luckydog
January 11th, 2010, 20:08

Want company ?? I'll go part of the way with ya....Georgia to NC....

viking3
January 11th, 2010, 20:31

I couldn't agree more Piglet, but then how would all those Enron like companies rip you off for electricity and those oil speculators rip you off for fuel. Gee I wonder why it has taken so long to happen:isadizzy:.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

grunau_baby
January 11th, 2010, 23:05
I feel cheated and humiliated now...:kilroy:

I allready longed for extra warm summers and no snow in wintertime, BUT in recent years I notice more cold and snow every year...WTF!!! I want all the promissed warming - NOW!!!

How can our humble scientists judge something correctly by data collected in a period of time which has - concerning global evolution - the duration of a single fart (sorry)...

Alex

Cazzie
January 12th, 2010, 01:49
Fey, humans are such a gullible lot. If all the crap in that article and all the crap about GW in particular isn't pure unadulterated horse hockey, y'all are all welcome to come to 197 Ferguson Road in Ringgold, Virginia, where I shall personally lay lips on your butt cheeks! And that includes Al Gore, since he invented the Internet and is probably lurking!

HD's right, 30 years flip by in an instant. It seems like a long time when you're 30, but after you get to 60, you wonder how those 30 years went by so fast. And believe me, it's all downhill from 50.

But I still have aspirations HD, like maybe being hung for rape at 100. :bump:

jmig
January 12th, 2010, 03:32
Fey, humans are such a gullible lot. If all the crap in that article and all the crap about GW in particular isn't pure unadulterated horse hockey, y'all are all welcome to come to 197 Ferguson Road in Ringgold, Virginia, where I shall personally lay lips on your butt cheeks! And that includes Al Gore, since he invented the Internet and is probably lurking!

HD's right, 30 years flip by in an instant. It seems like a long time when you're 30, but after you get to 60, you wonder how those 30 years went by so fast. And believe me, it's all downhill from 50.

But I still have aspirations HD, like maybe being hung for rape at 100. :bump:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

There goes the coffee and keyboard. I will settle for being up to it at 100.

safn1949
January 12th, 2010, 05:14
the mind is willing the body aint
H

I hear that,I guess I'm fixin' to find out if the body is willing.:d

And Obio,the problem from what I can see is one of size and demand,I don't think (strictly my opinion,worth what you paid for it) that people take into account the sheer amount of energy needed.Solar,wind and the like simply can't produce anywhere near that amount.I feel that in 10 years or so when the subsidies are gone,you will see a bunch of abandoned windmills and ethanol plants dotting the Midwest landscape.

So what is the answer? I don't know and at least I'm willing to admit it.:d

Matt Wynn
January 12th, 2010, 05:19
:icon_lol::icon_lol: now thats a great one Cazzie :icon_lol::icon_lol: there was a line in the sand, you couldn't even see the line in the sand and walked across it... but my gosh that was a hilarious comment, wow i feel like a youngster, 30 years from now i'll be 52, the beginning of that downhill phase, might be 21 (22, on may 2nd) but already plucking out the odd grey hair... bloomin' family trait, anyways i'd better go back into hibernation got paperwork to do... :ernae: that and go buy a V8 and rev it like a maniac :icon_lol:

Snuffy
January 12th, 2010, 05:23
... But I still have aspirations HD, like maybe being hung for rape at 100. :bump:

Or at least ... "Attempted ..." :icon_lol:

Course I suppose I could try being a rape-e as opposed to a rape-er!

safn1949
January 12th, 2010, 05:25
:icon_lol::icon_lol: now thats a great one Cazzie :icon_lol::icon_lol: there was a line in the sand, you couldn't even see the line in the sand and walked across it... but my gosh that was a hilarious comment, wow i feel like a youngster, 30 years from now i'll be 52, the beginning of that downhill phase, might be 21 (22, on may 2nd) but already plucking out the odd grey hair... bloomin' family trait, anyways i'd better go back into hibernation got paperwork to do... :ernae: that and go buy a V8 and rev it like a maniac :icon_lol:

Naw,get you one of these to rev up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AqrbtxcNqbM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AqrbtxcNqbM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Matt Wynn
January 12th, 2010, 05:55
ohhh yes a Merlin! that'll do nicely :icon_lol: that would make these 'global guardianistas' hate you for a while :icon_lol:

Bjoern
January 12th, 2010, 10:00
I allready longed for extra warm summers and no snow in wintertime, BUT in recent years I notice more cold and snow every year...WTF!!! I want all the promissed warming - NOW!!!

Remember 2006?
Awfully cold winter, awfully hot summer.

So a cold winter has nothing to say about the following summer. We still might be in for a treat.

How can our humble scientists judge something correctly by data collected in a period of time which has - concerning global evolution - the duration of a single fart (sorry)...

Maybe the world *needs* a fairy tale as a wake-up call?