PDA

View Full Version : FS9 and Windows 7

Firebar
January 11th, 2010, 09:30
Does anyone have any experience of running FS9 on windows 7? Just wondering as my new laptop is meant to arrive this week. Any tips for set up specific to 7/general?

Here're the quick spec list:
Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz
4 GB RAM
1 TB HDD
1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Cheers
M

srgalahad
January 11th, 2010, 09:46
Not sure about Win7 but assuming it has some of the quirks of Vista I'd be thinking of partitioning that 1Tb drive into 2 (or 3) so that you can install programs to someplace other than the default location and keep it separate.
IMHO.. As much as huge drives are nice, imagine trying to find one penny in a full dumpster.

Rob

Zoren
January 11th, 2010, 10:09
I have FS2004 running on Windows 7 x64 with no problems. Don't remember doing anything different than XP to get it to run. The only thing that is a pain is the 2D panels with the wide screen monitor.

Firebar
January 11th, 2010, 10:13
OK so watch out for Widescreen (wasn't there a thread on that recently?) and be careful with partitions (its actually 2X500GB so I can certainly partition a bit, 2 computers ago I was on a 7GB HDD, how things change)

PilatusTurbo
January 11th, 2010, 11:43
I'm runnin' X64 Win7 and I've gotten no demonstrable issues. :d The mouse pointer arrow thing is black in VC unless you hover over a clickable item or tooltip item. Other than that, I've had no issues. :)

whitehawk_2009
January 11th, 2010, 12:03
I only ran FS once before my HD in my new rig failed, but it was running just fine.

PT, I just realized what your avatar is, the talking coyote voiced by Johnny Cash!

WH

Zoren
January 11th, 2010, 12:07
OK so watch out for Widescreen (wasn't there a thread on that recently?) and be careful with partitions (its actually 2X500GB so I can certainly partition a bit, 2 computers ago I was on a 7GB HDD, how things change)

I saw that thread to but not about to go re-sizing all the 2D panels as that would be a lot of work. Most have good VC's anyway.

Dangerousdave26
January 11th, 2010, 12:17
Because of the security built into W7 you will want to change your program install habits.

W7 has highethened security on the default "Programs Files" folder and the "Windows" folder.

Any programs (FS9/FSX) which you might make frequent changes to should be installed outside of the default programs files folder or you will have issues with it disliking the changes you make.

Programs which you will install but never make changes to can be safely installed to the default programs folder.

Myself I install the programs to...

C:\Flightsim\FS9

C:\Flightsim\FSX

C:\FS_Programs\ <--- Any program I install that has to do with FS. Mostly Scenery design programs and utilities

C:\My_Programs\ <--- Any program I use that might have frequent changes made to it.

Installing your system like this will help prevent problems down the road.

My last suggestion is Do not turn off UAC. It is not necessary and does its job rather nicely on W7.

UAC still works even though you installed these programs outside the Default Programs Files folder. W7 just recognizes that these programs have more freedom than others.

Good luck.

Dangerousdave26
January 11th, 2010, 12:20
I saw that thread to but not about to go re-sizing all the 2D panels as that would be a lot of work. Most have good VC's anyway.

Same here. That would be far too much work.

Hints here

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=29386