PDA

View Full Version : flash plugin danger

egypt23spitfire
January 10th, 2010, 03:07
............just wanted to inform those that dont know about this
but be very wary about any popups anywhere that ask you to download flash plugins!!!
especially FLASH PLUGIN 40004 dot exe
(been around for about a year, but doesnt seem to be slackening)

it is a trojan and remote authoring no real damage but can control various areas in the background so best be safe and check where a plugin popup is gonna send ya
...i have seen this 5 times while surfing this week to do with what looks like harmless vids on reasonably respectable sites

review
http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X2620194864167142978-X1/FLASH-PLUGIN.40004%5B1%5D.EXE.html

harleyman
January 10th, 2010, 04:20
Never seen it or heard of it personally..

Hopefully most by now know NOT to DL or install anything unfamaliar by now...

Tom Clayton
January 10th, 2010, 07:33
The safest method: If a page tells you that you need to update your flash, then go to the Adobe Flash page to do it. Then if that first page still says you need to update, you know they're up to no good!

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Wulf190
January 10th, 2010, 10:45
I use firefox, and I don't have any form of flashplayer installed. And with no-script running, no worries about spyware sneekin in!

aeronca1
January 10th, 2010, 11:01
I need flashplayer for a few sites, but it won't install on my Solaris version of Firefox :crybaby:

Lionheart
January 10th, 2010, 11:03
If you EVER get a popup that says you might be infected and you are being scanned, it is installing a trojan. The best thing you can do is to unplug your computer as fast as possible to stop it. You cannot act quick enough to turn it off and it seems to over-ride any attempts to stop it as well. You cannot Alt-F4 it, you cannot ControlAltDelete it. If you can unplug your computer fast enough, you can keep it from fully installing. (hopefully).

I havent seen the flash player updates. That is supposedly the killer at FaceBook and other chat websites. Some have a movie they want to share, so you get this thing saying you need to update your Flash player. Bing, you're hit...

Bill

egypt23spitfire
January 10th, 2010, 19:15
....thanks BILL thats the reaction i hoped this thread would encourage

............these are really dangerous type of popups and the more us "joe blows" know about em the better we can sheild better:ernae:
(i use VIPRE which seems to detect em and warn me)

.........BILL you should maybe revise your firewall and go to GRC and check the effectiveness of your Unsolicited Packets movement with "SHEILDSUP" (free) 1/2 way down 2nd page

.....http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

...............SURF SAFE

Lionheart
January 10th, 2010, 19:19
....thanks BILL thats the reaction i hoped this thread would encourage

............these are really dangerous type of popups and the more us "joe blows" know about em the better we can sheild better:ernae:
(i use VIPRE which seems to detect em and warn me)

.........BILL you should maybe revise your firewall and go to GRC and check the effectiveness of your Unsolicited Packets movement with "SHEILDSUP" (free) 1/2 way down 2nd page

.....http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

...............SURF SAFE

Thanks Eqypt,

Will do.

People need to know it can happen anywhere. My own site was hacked once and someone deposited their own mainpage on it. Another time, I was searching for freeware fonts and bang, a popup loaded up a EXE file on my rig. I was in Apple mode, thank the Lord, so it couldnt function. Happened so fast, I didnt even see it occur. Apple said 'Im sorry but I cannot run this program'. Who knows what it might have done..

Bill

OBIO
January 10th, 2010, 20:14
Not too long ago, I got hit by one of those flash update thingies....it was my own fault....should have known better than to allow any site to update my system. Since C drive was getting pretty much cluttered anyhow, I opted to do a total format and rebuild...I could have spent some time and gotten the nasty off my system...but the format and rebuild cleaned out a ton of useless files that I really did not need anyhow...along with a few programs that I had installed but never used once they were installed.

OBIO