PDA

View Full Version : Kodiak causing fatal errors

J van E
January 10th, 2010, 03:01
Ever since I use the Kodiak, FSX locks up now and then with a fatal error. In the beginning it didn't bother me that much, I thought it was just bad luck, but after using the Kodiak for some time now it clearly has to do with this plane and not FSX. Most of the times FSX locks up when I load a flight and I am in the VC for a second or two: then I get that little blue circle for a few seconds and then a fatal error. But sometimes it also happens in mid-air after some time: the same error. And very occasionaly it already happens when I select the plane while setting up the flight!

This happens on my old install of Windows 7 64 bit but also on the new install of W7 on a SSD which is dedicated to FSX. I usually only fly after a restart of the entire computer, so that makes it even more annoying. At this moment I even stopped using the Kodiak...

Anyone else has this and more importantly: anyone knows what I can do about it?

harleyman
January 10th, 2010, 04:16
What is the error that you are getting??

Never heard of the Kodiak doing this..

Your computer all up to date with net frameworks ?

DB93
January 10th, 2010, 06:00
Never had any issues with the Kodiak here either, and I've logged way more hours in that plane, than any other in FSX by a very wide margin. The blue 'wait cursor' spinning circle (in my own personal experience) has been from panels not being able to properly load (which in my case was caused by them trying to be stretched too 'wide' from a triple-wide monitor setup using a TH2G.)

Are you running anything like TH2G or EyeFinity? Have you edited any panels? Are you running a single monitor and perhaps using the TH2G/EyeFinity panel 'stretching fix' files (because what they fix for triple-wide screen users, they most certainly would break for single-monitor users)?

I hope you get this sorted out, and ignore any parts or all of my post if some or all of it doesn't apply to your situation. I'm just throwing a few ideas out there for you to check, based on my experiences with the whole 'spinning circle and eventual fatal error crash' scenario.

Good luck, and hope you find a fix,
-George

J van E
January 10th, 2010, 08:54
Have you edited any panels?
Hm, that brings something to mind... I haven't edited anything myself but I am using some edited xml-files. I will see what happens if I restore the original ones! Thanks for all tips so far!

EDIT:
Restored files to the original, loaded the plane... so far no problem! I should have thought of that myself...! But er... it's nice on the one side but a pity on the other, but I will open another topic for that!

EDIT 2:
Bummer, after posting my first edit I loaded the Kodiak... and got the fatal error again...

EDIT 3:
It looks like the Kodiak runs fine now on my dedicated Windows 7/FSX drive... so I guess it had/has something to do with that tweaked xml and the other system I use... I am the only one having problems, so it's gotta be me... :icon_lol:

EDIT 4:
I beg my pardon for all my edits (I will stop posting after this one :salute: ) but loading the Kodiak just caused a fatal error again on my dedicated FSX system. I will now completely uninstall the plane (removing everything I can find that has to do with it) and then reinstall it brand new. Let's see if that helps! Won't be until tomorrow before I can do that, so don't fear, this will really be my last edit today... :jump: :wavey:

Lionheart
January 10th, 2010, 11:29
Hey J van E,

Sorry for your problems. Sounds horrible.

I know one person who redid the PFD and MFD to have mouse wheel adjustments. I hope that didnt do it.

The MFD and PFD are pretty complex. They can be moody on certain computers. They are big gauges to render and manage in FS, one being an entire GPS which is a HUGE rendering for the computers resources. You might try turning the MFD map screen off, putting it to sleep, and see if that helps.

The map of the GPS MFD screen is like an entire second 'simulator'. This was the cause of many issues back in FS2002 or FS2000 in the old days as the computer had to handle rending the map 'and' the FS environment both.

If it continues to crash, what I can do is refund your money. You'd need to delete the plane, but you cant seem to run it on your computer, so it isnt a loss, (if you cant get it running).

This does happen with some peoples rigs. Its unfortunate.

Bill

J van E
January 10th, 2010, 12:44
Thanks for the quick reply! Even with everything at default it crashes, so it can't be the edited files, but as I said, I will see what a complete clean install will do tomorrow. Maybe I goofed up something somewhere...

Thanks for the very kind refund offer :applause: , but that won't be necessary, even if I won't be able to get the Kodiak going. I paid almost nothing for it already (christmas sale!) and if I won't be able to use the Kodiak anymore due to computerproblems, you can regard the money I spend on it as voluntary support for the 'Powered by Christos'-part of Lionhearts Creations!

harleyman
January 10th, 2010, 13:15
Thanks for the very kind refund offer :applause: , but that won't be necessary, even if I won't be able to get the Kodiak going. I paid almost nothing for it already (christmas sale!) and if I won't be able to use the Kodiak anymore due to computerproblems, you can regard the money I spend on it as voluntary support for the 'Powered by Christos'-part of Lionhearts Creations!

It is a fact that on ocassion a plane for whatever reason just will not work on one computer...It has happened to me too with a Lionheart plane..One I love, and not just flies in FS9...Bill helped till we were blue in the face...For me it was just what it was... A thing...

For a develaopr to offer a refund , is a good thing these days..Bill would rather go sleepless than see you have to not fly your plane in FSX..That is the truth..but facts are facts...It appears to not like something about your set up, as was my deal...

Your offer to to support *Christos* is a fine thing ..For that you get a big :salute: ..

DB93
January 10th, 2010, 14:03
Wait, is this happening on two machines? If I read you correctly, and you've tried it and had the crashes to two different machines, then we would need to look at what's the same between them. It could just be an incompatibility with another addon or something along those lines, or maybe even a saved flight issue. Are you using a default aircraft in your default flight on both machines? If not, are you using the same saved default flight on both machines? If you are using the same saved flight on both machines, you may want to try loading up the default 172 and save it as the default flight, then exit FSX and start it up again, and see if that does anything for you.

I'm just throwing these out as ideas since if it's happening on both your machines, it's got to be something they have in common, and so I'm just trying to think of what could be the same that could cause it to crash on both.

Good luck, I sincerely hope you get this sorted out as I think it's such a wonderful plane, and it would be a shame for you to have to 'shelve' it without getting to experience it for yourself.

-George

J van E
January 10th, 2010, 23:40
No, it's not happening on two machines (I see I wasn't too clear on that): it's the same machine but with a dual boot. But maybe that is the problem...! The thing is, I bought an SSD and installed FSX on it. It didn't do for me what I hoped it would, so I formatted the SSD and installed Windows together with FSX on it. Then I made a dualboot so I could boot from my 'old' Windows 7 install and from that SSD. The way I installed everything made it possible to run FSX in BOTH installments of WIndows 7, because I did not uninstall FSX on my 'old' system. (Anyone still with me here...? :bump: ) Anyway, the thing is: I can run the SAME installment of FSX on both Windows 7 systems I have right now, and maybe the Kodiak doesn't like that...? Maybe some files (cfg's or whatever) are saved when I load and setup the Kodiak on one system which the other doesn't like...? (BTW I have the C172 in my default flight but the fsx.cfg isn't the same on both systems: that might be another thing FSX doesn't like, although I only have problems with the Kodiak.)

As I said, I will install the Kodiak using my new SSD Windows 7 install, just as I did the last time, but now I will ONLY load the Kodiak on that new system and not anymore on the 'old' system. I will let you all know how that goes.

I know this all sounds complicated but it IS a bit complicated and not a usual setup and maybe that's why I am having all this trouble. Thanks everyone for thinking along with me! :applause:

DB93
January 11th, 2010, 06:40
Ahh ok, I was confused and thought it was on two separate systems. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that the Kodiak re-install fixes things for you. :)

Good luck!
-George

cheezyflier
January 11th, 2010, 10:25
i hope you get it worked out. the kodiak is the coolest model released for fsx so far.

harleyman
January 11th, 2010, 10:50
i hope you get it worked out. the kodiak is the coolest model released for fsx so far.

Agreed with that 100% :applause::applause:

Sky~6
January 22nd, 2010, 16:27
Just found this thread- am having the same errors-did you find a fix..?

cvearl
January 22nd, 2010, 16:44
Does it happen with the MFD MAP turned off?

How about when you use the Mooney under glass or default Cessna with G1000?

Charles.

Lionheart
January 22nd, 2010, 17:03
Just found this thread- am having the same errors-did you find a fix..?

Is this since you updated to the latest build?

If you load your plane into a new area of the world, does it still happen?

J van E got his issue worked out and it seems that when he reloaded the sim, it went away.

Check some other planes and see if they also crash.

Bill