PDA

View Full Version : Painting in FSX

RAZ1978
January 9th, 2010, 10:07
First of all let me say thanks for stopping in to read my post! Well this is my delima, I can paint in FS9 just fine but have never learned how to convert the dds textures In FSX. My first question is can i convert some of my default DC-3 textures from my FS9 to the FSX DC-3 or will they need to be repainted from the ground up for fsx? My second question is would anyone be willing to teach me how to prep FSX textures for painting?
I use Jasc Paintshop pro 9 and DXTBmp and I have Teamspeak, Not sure if this helps. RAZ1978

Matt Wynn
January 9th, 2010, 10:49
ok simplest way i bellieve is to convert to FSX, flip the texture and save as > DDS DXT- 32bit (or DDS DXT-3, i think DDS DXT-5 also works) is what i use for complex schemes, Raz i'll be glad to help you should you need help, i also have a tool that converts PSD files to FSX DDS Files cutting out DXTBMP altogether... :kilroy:

jankees
January 9th, 2010, 12:50
You can use your FS9 bmp textures in FSX without any problems.
You can also flip them vertically, and save them as dds (I use DXT5), using DXTbmp. This should make them marginally faster to load in FSX, but they remain the same textures.

IanP
January 9th, 2010, 12:55
Or you can just use imgtool from the SDK if you have it, don't bother flipping it, just tell it to make the format DXT5, save as, type ".dds" at the end of the filename and it does the flipping for you.

Having tried both DXTBMP and ImgTool, I now always use the latter. It just does everything without any hassle.