PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Saitek Multi Panel?

DB93
January 8th, 2010, 09:34
Hi all,

I recently purchased the pro flight switch panel from Saitek, and am overall very pleased with it. I'm considering picking up their multi panel as well, but have read something about the knob that has me wondering, so I'm hoping someone here has the multi panel to answer this pretty stupid question.

I've read on their forums that the knob is a single axis, and some people complaining about setting their course and such. This has me wondering if they mean that the knob only turns in one direction (increase the value only) or if it actually does go in both directions (to either increase or decrease the value, depending on which way it's being turned.)

I just want to know this, as if it doesn't work to also decrease the values, then I'm going to start looking at throwing something custom together, but if it works in both directions, then I'm pretty much ready to place an order.

Thanks for any information on this,

-George

MarkH
January 8th, 2010, 10:22
I've read on their forums that the knob is a single axis, and some people complaining about setting their course and such. This has me wondering if they mean that the knob only turns in one direction (increase the value only) or if it actually does go in both directions (to either increase or decrease the value, depending on which way it's being turned.)No, it goes in both directions (up and down). The problem is it's very slow, so it's actually impractical to make large heading or altitude changes usig the knob. I've only used it with the autopilot heading function, and if you want to dial in anything more than about a 20-degree change of heading it takes forever. The knob looks like it's a dual-action concentric pair of knobs, like on the Saitek radio panels, but it's not. It is, however, just as sloppy as the radio panel knobs, which makes setting specific values even more laborious.

Warrant
January 8th, 2010, 10:54
I have the Saitek panels. The dials are quite slow indeed. But i have two instrument panles as well, with dials included. With these i can rapidly adjust heading and alt settings (pressure alt that is). All dials (knobs if you will) work both upwards and downwards.
Already mailed saitek if it is possible to have a config in order to tweak the sensitivity/interval. Other fact is the intevals of the increments are the same as with a pop-up or DVC knob setting. So therefore only the sensitivity should be editable.
I'm very happy with the set, though it has a large impact on my USB ports (and i have a hub with external power in use). Every once in a while Vista Ultimate starts to stutter with the Saitek devices, and loops in a fail to see the devices and then re-inititiate them. New driver downloads reduced it but not entirely banned this.

Will up an image of my Saitek set.

DB93
January 8th, 2010, 11:57
Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. :) It sounds like the knob works the way I want it to, just at a very unreasonably slow speed. I guess I can find a way to work around that for the time being, and hope that Saitek will do something with the knob's adjustment speed in the future.

Thanks again,
-George

DB93
January 8th, 2010, 12:12
I just came back from checking the Saitek forums, and someone there suggested I make sure that it works with the add-ons I have, and that was a very valid point, so I thought I'd see if either of you (or anyone else reading) has any experience using the Multi Panel with any of the following aircraft, and whether or not it worked with them.

Lionheart's Kodiak, Tailwind, or Super/Turbo Vikings
Carenado's C182Q and U206G packages
Aerosoft's Beaver X and Twin Otter X packages

Those are the main payware aircraft I fly, so if anyone has any experience with those and their compatibility with the Multi Panel, I'd love to hear if it worked or not for those aircraft I listed.

Thanks again, I appreciate the responses and help.

-George

Warrant
January 8th, 2010, 12:25
Lionheart's Kodiak, Tailwind, or Super/Turbo Vikings
Carenado's C182Q and U206G packages
Aerosoft's Beaver X and Twin Otter X packages

-George

Gonna up an image or two with the Carenado 172, the Beaver by Aerosoft and the Twin Otter.

See for yourself. :wavey:

But yes, they work! :salute:

DB93
January 8th, 2010, 12:27
Gonna up an image or two with the Carenado 172, the Beaver by Aerosoft and the Twin Otter.

See for yourself. :wavey:

But yes, they work! :salute:

Excellent, just what I was hoping to hear! :) I look forward to seeing the pictures, and am going to place my order now.

Thanks again,

-George

Warrant
January 8th, 2010, 12:56
The images in following order: Twin otter, Beaver, cessna 172;

DB93
January 8th, 2010, 13:29
Nice setup! I just placed my order before coming back here. It probably won't ship until sometime early next week, but I'm really looking forward to getting it. :) The radio panel will probably be next, but I think I'm going to have to wait a bit before getting that one, as I've been going a little spend-crazy lately (though it is Christmas and Birthday money I'm using, so it's not like it's coming out of our account lol).

Thanks again for all the information and the pictures! :)

-George

Warrant
January 8th, 2010, 13:38
Your welcome.

If you need a (virtual) hand installing the stuff, just ask :salute:

Enjoy your new set!

jmig
January 8th, 2010, 13:55
I have found that for the money to operate right out of the box you can't beat Go-Flight products. I have been using their panels for over five years and have never had a problem with any of them.

Warrant
January 8th, 2010, 14:26
I have found that for the money to operate right out of the box you can't beat Go-Flight products. I have been using their panels for over five years and have never had a problem with any of them.

Absolutely sure you are right! It looks great, and most likely it will perform excellent.

Two minors:

1) The price
2) The space

http://www.goflightinc.com/order/index.php

Though the Go-Flight stuff looks amazing (really like to have that myself), their stuff is quite expensive, and looks quite spacious.

I guess there is stuff available for everyones needs. Mine is cramped in space....that's where Saitek fills my needs with proper stuff fitting in my puter corner in the living room. And for a fair price. Go-Flight equipment is (IMHO) more for the hobby room or attic, where man (or woman) can build it's own cockpit. Elemenst of the Go-Flight range are very usefull and placeable in a living room setup as well. But IMHO a bit expensive compared to what Saitek offers.

Still like to see setups of people who actually have parts from Go-Flight installed. They really look tempting......:engel016:

DB93
January 8th, 2010, 15:04
Yeah, the Go-Flight stuff looks incredible, but it's *really* expensive and does seem to require a larger space than I have available, as my 'cockpit' is a corner desk that looks like Dr. Frankenstein had his way with it with a couple of 2x4's lol. Honestly, I'm pretty amazed at how much stuff I've managed to cram into that little corner, and if I could ever afford the price and the space of doing a full-on home cockpit, the Go-Flight stuff would be a no-brainer. But with space and price being a huge issue for me, the Saitek stuff seems a good bargain, at least for us general aviation virtual pilots. :)

Now, with all that said, I would absolutely love to see some pictures of your setup with your Go-Flight gear! I'll bet it's amazing! :)

-George

jmig
January 8th, 2010, 17:27
While I won't argue, the Go-Flight modules are more expensive. I will venture that they are not that much more expensive. I also think they are an excellent value.

The normal Go-Flight module is just about 2" X 7". The versatility of them is amazing. If anyone is thinking about possibilly accuring a module or two I recommend the following.

The first one I would buy is the RP48. This module provides you with eight pushbuttons and four encoders. It retails for $160 but can be found on the street for $130 and possibly cheaper at eBay.

I used the RP48's four encoders to set, Heading, Course, Altitude and altimeter. With the first three, I was able to imitate an autopilot's basic functions. By turning a knob I could change the heading bug and the airplane would follow. When flying an ILS, the course knob set the approach.

The eight buttons and four encoders can be set with the included software for anything you can do on a keyboard and a few things you can't.

If all you want is a few real buttons or switches you can throw for, lights, fuel pump, etc., the GF-P8 pushbuttons or GF-T8 toggle switches are ideal. They can be found for around $100 each.

Now, if you want a real "virtual" radio, look for the GF-166 on eBay. This can be used for both COMM and NAV and allows you to set a standby freq while the radio is turned to the operating freq.

Somebody asked for pictures. Below is an early setup using the Go-Flight Modules. In my present cockpit, I have replaced the go-Flight with encoders and switches that match the fighter cockpit look.