PDA

View Full Version : A slightly different airfield from me...

IanP
November 2nd, 2008, 03:43
I know people are wishing that I'd quit just using the SDK and learn to use Gmax, but in the meantime, I still want more places to fly my warbirds from, so here's another one... ;)

RAF Digby is rather rare in that it's a grass airfield that wasn't simply turned back over to agriculture after the war. Because it became the home of an aerial erector school, the field is almost exactly still as it was during the war - albeit with a hangar missing, a new football pitch and a number of new buildings around... plus a whole horde of big aerials that people have put up!

I've taken a couple of liberties here in the name of making it look nice: The real Digby had two C type hangars (one remains), I've used J-types. The tower was a standard fighter field one, I've used the art-deco one from West Malling. Finally, the dispersals should be an "E" shape, where I have used angled ones. The reason for all of these changes is that every building on the station is from Bill Womack's collection again. I also owe Bill a great deal of thanks for his patience from answering IM messages starting with the word "AAAUUAAARGH!" - he'll be pleased to know that my plane now has a texture and I've found a usable concrete texture... I think. :d

Anyway. I haven't packaged this up yet, but it's done. We don't have a Defiant or a Typhoon for FSX yet, but amongst other types operated from Digby for the majority of the war were Spitfires (most types, as the war progressed), Hurricanes, Blenheims and, briefly, Lysanders. The airfield is fully set up for AI (single engine parking spots only) and has been tested using the RAS Spitfire Mk XIV and Dan Dunn's Hurricanes although, obviously, I can't include the aircraft from either pack as part of the download.

Ian P.

lucas81
November 2nd, 2008, 03:48
Beautiful job, Ian! :ernae:

Lewis-A2A
November 2nd, 2008, 03:56
Wunder bar Ja Ja sneil sneil snail kottletoff! :d

IanP
November 2nd, 2008, 03:58
Nurse! More dried frog pills for Lewis please!!!! :isadizzy::d

Ian P.

Nick C
November 2nd, 2008, 04:13
Great work Ian (and Bill) :applause::applause::applause:

Epsillon
November 2nd, 2008, 04:14
Very nice! :applause::applause::applause:

MCDesigns
November 2nd, 2008, 04:22
That looks great Ian, good job!

Here I was about to convert my WWII objects to FSX format, but looks like Bill has it covered! What collection is this, would love to check it out.

IanP
November 2nd, 2008, 04:27
Bill's objects are the ones used in the Real Air West Malling scenery. It's not a complete set, by any means, although I believe he intends to add to it.

There's plenty of room for more buildings, judging by the 500-plus-page listing I was given when I asked the RAF museum for details of standard hangar drawings.

Ian P.

MCDesigns
November 2nd, 2008, 04:38
Thanks Ian, looks like I might have to get the Real Air spit after all (Bills' biggest fan :d )

I had wanted to design some RAF style buildings/objects when I worked on the FS9 objects, but couldn't find suitable source material.

Roger
November 2nd, 2008, 04:44
Very nice job. I'll be downloading as soon as it's available.

IanP
November 2nd, 2008, 05:21
http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/raf/digby/IJP_EGZD_v1_0.zip

Bill's buildings library (should that be Billdings?) is included with his permission.

I'll put up a page on my site for it when I get chance. I also have Little Snoring and Rackheath (Station 145) to finish off at some point.

Edit: Michael - if you know specifics, DoRIS - the Department of Research and Information Services - at the RAF Museum, London ( http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/research/ ) have huge amounts of archived drawings. Also, for hangars, I found the following PDF - http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/technical_bulletins/2002/tb_02-02.pdf - whilst discussing the length of T2 hangars will Bill, which may be of interest.

Ian P.

stiz
November 2nd, 2008, 06:37
Bill's buildings library (should that be Billdings?)

*hands ian his coat and shows him the door*

:costumes:

Panther_99FS
November 2nd, 2008, 06:39
Great job again Ian!

Mickey D
November 3rd, 2008, 04:31
Here you are try this site for WW!! hangar drawings and more.

http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/publications/technical_bulletins/2002/tb02drawings.php

It's what I use.

Now if anyone could point me to an equivalent site for US hangars........................?

IanP
November 3rd, 2008, 10:48
I linked to that three posts ago, Michael... :d

I've not found an equivalent for US hangars, and neither has anyone I've yet spoken to. It's a superb resource for hangars, if nothing else. Now all I need to do is work out how to texture one after building it! :censored::banghead::redf:

Ian P.

Mickey D
November 3rd, 2008, 14:19
Missed that link Ian. :icon_lol:

Texturing is the easy bit. Especially if you use FSDS v3.5 to build it with.

huub vink
November 8th, 2008, 01:02
Very nice Ian, I love the "British fog" on the screenies as well!

Huub