PDA

View Full Version : Really cool picture

sandar
January 8th, 2010, 02:45
Literally cool, very cool, photograph of the UK taken from NASA'sTerra satellite on January 7th. Some temeperatures have been as low as -20c or around 0f

Snuffy
January 8th, 2010, 03:12
Ummm Why is it white?

Toastmaker
January 8th, 2010, 03:14
Snow, ice, frozen bums. . .

No thank you -

:running:

jmig
January 8th, 2010, 03:48
The entire UK looks to be covered in snow!

stiz
January 8th, 2010, 04:20
cos it is, 4ft up on the moors in places! sure nothing compared to some parts of the world but just about unheard of for us! :isadizzy:

lifejogger
January 8th, 2010, 04:39
Wow, that is a lot of snow. No snow here in West Texas but it is -18c.

sandar
January 8th, 2010, 04:42
Apparantly it is the first time in nearly thirty years that the whole of the UK has been covered in snow. The temperatue in parts of the UK have dropped to over -20c, which I think is around -4f. Whatever scale you use, it is cold.

Snuffy
January 8th, 2010, 05:02
I posted this over at the QMS (Quarter Moon Saloon) and was immediately poo poo'd by our AGW adherents.

(From NASA ... the blues indicate temperatures below -20 Cent.)

cheezyflier
January 8th, 2010, 06:34
AGW = http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2756909743_648c32e3a0.jpg

OBIO
January 8th, 2010, 09:47
I posted this over at the QMS (Quarter Moon Saloon) and was immediately poo poo'd by our AGW adherents.

(From NASA ... the blues indicate temperatures below -20 Cent.)

I take it that AGW does not stand for Anti-Global Warming if this image was poo-pooed by those adherents.

OBIO

Snuffy
January 8th, 2010, 09:54
I take it that AGW does not stand for Anti-Global Warming if this image was poo-pooed by those adherents.

OBIO

No, Obio, I'm afraid not ... that would be "Anthropogenic" Global Warming or those who would promote man killing man by physically being able to alter the weather ... er wait! The climate I mean. :173go1:

Dain Arns
January 8th, 2010, 10:24
The info coming to light about the "Little Ice Age" 300-400 years, makes me think we don't know enough about this little spinning rock that's traveling through space we have our butts parked on.
Sure, I think some of what we have been doing with pollution and air emissions probably hasn't helped.

But we've only been here a short time really. How much do we really know?

Large sheets of ice used to cover where I live right now, a long time ago.
Why did they go away? Man wasn't a factor then. :kilroy:

Ebb and flow of nature.
Despite our best efforts, in the end, we're all really just along for the ride. :icon_lol:

OBIO
January 8th, 2010, 11:13
The "Little Ice Age" that is just now coming to light...I knew about that a couple decades ago...along with the period before in, during which much of Europe was tropical in terms of temperatures. The Global Warming Fanatics have also known about this...but have kept it quiet as it throws a serious monkey wrench in their "science". Furthermore, if the earth is studied from a geological point of view, and the rock layers and fossils are examined...there is a clear cycle of warming and cooling that takes place....a hundred years of warming, followed by a 100 years of cooling. Warming, cooling, warming, cooling. This pattern has been going on for a long long time....and was present way before the Industrial Revolution.

I for one am sick to death of hearing about Global Warming and Cap and Trade and Going Green. Sure, we need to reduce our dependance on oil as our main energy source and invest more time and money into developing renewable/non-depletable energy sources (solar, nuclear, geo-thermal, hydro-electric)....oil is non-renewable and at some point will run out. Coal is also non-renewable and will run out, so that is not a viable alternative energy source to oil.

OBIO

GT182
January 8th, 2010, 11:18
The sky is falling... and it's white. :bump: Yes, the UK being covered with snow marks the beginning of the "New Ice Age".

Global Warming has ended... "Why? Because We Say So".

Cratermaker
January 8th, 2010, 12:05
Global warming or cooling... it's becoming all to apparent it's how you massage the data.

That coupled with more and more evidence (and basic thermodynamics) that CO2 is not the problem child we were led to believe, makes me NOT want to make multi-trillion dollar policy decisions based on any AGW crap.

Sure, I'm for cleaner energy and less energy dependence on foreign nations. But I don't want it all based on a lie or any false economy (cap and trade).

You think the mortage crisis was a fiasco? Just wait when carbon credit futures (or whatever they would wind up calling them) tank. You will truly see the despair when you literally create an economy out of thin air and what happens when it goes bust.

GT182
January 8th, 2010, 12:22
Welll, I believe it's not just cleaner energy.... CO has to decrease with cleaner energy. We've also gotta slow down and stop clear cutting the rain forrests and the other forrests around the world. Trees absorb CO2 and give off O2. Nothing absorbs CO and lives. ;)

aeronca1
January 8th, 2010, 16:09
.........marks the beginning of the "New Ice Age".

Say it ain't so. If I have to take my kid to one more movie featuring that sappy voice of Ray Romano, I'm off to find a cliff! :icon_lol: