PDA

View Full Version : The Realair Spitfire can spin ! HD video

Cleartheprop
January 7th, 2010, 12:42
...and it spins pretty well !
Hello there !
This is the third and last part of my Realair Spitfire "test flight".
Are shown : the stall, the spin (inside and outside views and more...)
Approach and landing (chase view at the end.)
Engine shutdown :wiggle:

Nice airplane indeed. 2 years old but still highly competitive.
Hope you'll enjoy the video! :ernae:

lyB0lJvuXm4

dswo
January 7th, 2010, 12:59
Very well done -- thank you. I particularly like the exterior view of the spin with the inset view of rudder and stick.

Cleartheprop
January 8th, 2010, 00:31
Thank you David!
I thought it would be interesting to see from outside what are the effects on the airplane of the stick and rudder inputs. Glad you like it! :ernae:

gribouil
January 8th, 2010, 01:06
Superbe vidéo très instructive... merci! :ernae:

Naki
January 8th, 2010, 02:11
Nice..and very well done..

letsgetrowdy
January 8th, 2010, 09:51
Ahhhhh! You wouldn't want to do that to a spit! lovely work BTW

GBrutus
January 8th, 2010, 10:04
Great videos, well done.

Cleartheprop
January 8th, 2010, 11:31
Ahhhhh! You wouldn't want to do that to a spit! lovely work BTW

thank you! :ernae:

The Spitfire manual says that intentional Spins are approved providing :
- no external stores should be carried
- the rear fuselage tank should be empty.
- Spins are not to be started below 10,000 ft (which I disregarded in my vid since I felt the airplane was more responsive at low level)
- Recovery should be initiated before 2 turns are completed

thank you everyone! I am glad you liked my "work" ! (although this airplane has been released quite a long time ago! :bump:)

Brian_Gladden
January 8th, 2010, 13:57
Mirage.... what are your system specs.... I can't believe how smooth your FSX is....

Brian

Cleartheprop
January 8th, 2010, 14:10
Hello Brian,
My computer specs are :
intel Q9650 @ 3.00 Ghz, 3.25 Gig Ram (+ couple of fans)
Win XP SP3
video card : Nvidia GForce GTX 280 @ 1Gig
3 HD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB SATA 16 MB Cache
Saitek X52 for throttle and Rudder
Tarmac Aces Mirage III stick
Acer 23" monitor
My FSX settings are quite low actually; The Frame rate is locked @ 30 FPS...
Cheers! :ernae:
Buzz

Brian_Gladden
January 8th, 2010, 16:39
Hello Brian,
My computer specs are :
intel Q9650 @ 3.00 Ghz, 3.25 Gig Ram (+ couple of fans)
Win XP SP3
video card : Nvidia GForce GTX 280 @ 1Gig
3 HD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB SATA 16 MB Cache
Saitek X52 for throttle and Rudder
Tarmac Aces Mirage III stick
Acer 23" monitor
My FSX settings are quite low actually; The Frame rate is locked @ 30 FPS...
Cheers! :ernae:
Buzz

My computer can't even run FS9 that well....

oakfloor
January 8th, 2010, 21:17
I see that your useing the air filter on that dirt strip, but why do you leave the flaps down when your taxiing? The prop will kick up and throw stones and damage the flaps, and besides, dont you want flaps up on the roll out to increase the braking effect? As soon as I touch down with all three wheels on, and below stall speed I raise flaps and put the elevator trim back to takeoff incase I need to to a quick go around, more so on shorter strips. BTW very nice work.:salute:

Cleartheprop
January 9th, 2010, 00:54
Hello Oakfloor! thanks for your remark! :icon_lol:
In the video, I dont really "taxi" with the flaps extended; I "taxi out the strip" before I stop to raise the flaps and switch off the booster pump.
I agree I could have retracted the flaps on the landing roll to prevent damages to the flaps. (and possibly to shorten the landing distance ? two schools : 1. flaps up to shorten (weight on the brakes) or 2. leave the flaps out to shorten (aerodynamic drag...)
Retracting the flaps on the runway in case of "go around" is not realistic nor very safe. One should retract the flaps on the runway in case of touch and go. To improvise a "touch and go" just after landing is hazardous regarding the remaining takeoff field length. (and possible obstacle clearance altitude)
As my (real life) pilot experience taught me, I dont touch anything on the runway after landing except pitot heat. I taxi out the runway and shoot the procedure and checklist.
But I understand your point perfectly regarding the FSX Spit! :ernae:
Cheers
Buzz :running:

huub vink
January 9th, 2010, 01:05
Very nice Mirage and extremely handy for guys like me who are often too lazy to read ;)

Huub

SirBenn21
January 9th, 2010, 01:40
Kudos from me too. Very professionally done.

:applause:

Ben

bstolle
January 9th, 2010, 02:02
Retracting the flaps on the runway in case of "go around" is not realistic nor very safe. One should retract the flaps on the runway in case of touch and go.As my (real life) pilot experience taught me, I dont touch anything on the runway after landing except pitot heat.

Exactly. One shouldn't touch anything during the landing run. Too many gears have been retracted instead of the flaps or directional control has been lost during that distraction over the years.
Even in a 2 man cockpit you don't touch anything except the really important things, e.g. stowing of the reversers.
BTW, video shows now correctly non-distorted :)

Cleartheprop
January 9th, 2010, 02:31
Thank you for your comments!
Thank you Sg38, I am glad the video format suits you better now! :ernae:

robrealair
January 9th, 2010, 04:03
This the very best video I've seen on our Spitfire. Beautifully shot and with stunning smoothness (with Fraps?) which is very hard to achieve; wonderfully clear and excellent instructions on screen.

This is exceptional and anyone doing their own videos will know what work went into this, and the others in the series.

Congratulations!

Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

Cleartheprop
January 9th, 2010, 06:44
Thank you very much Rob; that is a very nice compliment especially coming from you ! :ernae:
I have been flying the Realair Spitfire since the Fs9 version and I enjoy the FSX version even more;
What I like about this airplane is that she can be flown using the actual Spitfire manual only. Amazing!
thank you! :running:

oakfloor
January 9th, 2010, 09:40
Well two things here, the gear and flap handel are two differnt places in this AC, the one were talking about and one should know where they are to begine with, thats a givin.. And if one is flying into a field too short for a safe go around, then you dont have a large margin of safety to start with. But since it is a shorter field I would want to be preppared to make a go around if needed, or could be done. Like
I said "retract flaps after all wheels are down and, aircraft is done flying" I would much rather use my wheel brakes and the full weight on them to stop than flaps, it seems to stop better. And if I had a choice to run it off the end of the runway of try to go around due to a botched landing and not enough runway or rudder control left to get airbourne, then one would just want to ride it out on the ground. Well its just how I think. IMO Fly safe and enjoy. Thanks.

Stickshaker
January 11th, 2010, 11:00
Fantastic video! And a well-deserved tribute to this excellent aircraft.

Cleartheprop
January 11th, 2010, 12:54
thank you Stickshaker ! :ernae: