PDA

View Full Version : New Bonanza

DaveKDEN
January 7th, 2010, 11:39
Very nice freeware V-Tail P-35 Bonanza at Simviation today.

http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=61&page=30

Cheers,
Dave

Henry
January 7th, 2010, 11:43
thanks for the HU
getting it now
H:applause:

Bomber_12th
January 7th, 2010, 11:48
Thank you Dave for letting us know - just downloaded it, and will certainly be flying this one a fair bit.

jojohnson9
January 7th, 2010, 11:55
This is a really nice P35...good VC. Flies great. Thanks :applause:

Henry
January 7th, 2010, 12:49
tis a great add on
i love the corenado version for fs9
this in my opinion is just as great
excellent price:guinness:
H

ryanbatc
January 7th, 2010, 12:58
Ahhh yeah, this is Brett's model! Made for mainly shared cockpit training I believe. He usually posts over at flightsim :)

Bjoern
January 7th, 2010, 13:12
Thanks for the V35, Brett! :ernae:

Thoe6969
January 7th, 2010, 13:14
Thanks Brett,nice plane and much needed for FSX.

Kiwikat
January 7th, 2010, 13:24
Can someone post some screenshots? :kilroy: :wavey:

Roger
January 7th, 2010, 13:36
:engel016:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/beech35-1.jpg

ryanbatc
January 7th, 2010, 13:45
Can someone post some screenshots? :kilroy: :wavey:

It's really good freeware. Might as well just dl it :wiggle:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/fsscr001-42.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/fsscr000-49.jpg

Kiwikat
January 7th, 2010, 14:07
It's really good freeware. Might as well just dl it :wiggle:

Haha I know but I'm enjoying laying on the couch using my eee. Downloading it would require going downstairs on my rig! :173go1:

cheezyflier
January 7th, 2010, 14:40
the site doesn't seem to like opera.

JimC1702
January 7th, 2010, 15:12
Thanks for the heads up Dave and thanks to Brett for an exceptional freeware plane!

Jim

wantok
January 7th, 2010, 15:12
Been looking out for one since fs9 payware version, but this has excellent fde. Perhaps my search is over.:applause:

Nice job indeed, Brett and thanks Dave for the HU.:ernae:

crashaz
January 7th, 2010, 15:14
Phew! Loved flying in the Bonanza!!:applause:

Brett_Henderson
January 7th, 2010, 15:21
Ahhh yeah, this is Brett's model! Made for mainly shared cockpit training I believe. He usually posts over at flightsim :)

I post here too.. often :jump:

Thanks for the kind review, guys.. I really enjoyed making this model.. been in the works since last June. The fun parts were animating the rudder-vators.. and I got tired of trying to make a compass gauge look right, and function well, in a VC..so I modeled and animated the whole thing..:kilroy:

LTCSZ
January 7th, 2010, 15:23
Great plane! Thanks for donating your efforts to our hobby!

Steve in Kansas

EgoR64
January 7th, 2010, 16:52
Nice Bird - thank you - :ernae:

Reddog
January 7th, 2010, 16:53
I post here too.. often :jump:

Thanks for the kind review, guys.. I really enjoyed making this model.. been in the works since last June. The fun parts were animating the rudder-vators.. and I got tired of trying to make a compass gauge look right, and function well, in a VC..so I modeled and animated the whole thing..:kilroy:

It works ok in FSX SP1 too, Thanks Brett:salute:

heywooood
January 7th, 2010, 17:06
I LOVE this model - thank you Brett Henderson :ernae:

there is a question - can the interior cockpit plexi 'reflections' be reduced or eliminated?

see below please

ryanbatc
January 7th, 2010, 17:11

there is a question - can the interior cockpit plexi 'reflections' be reduced or eliminated?

see below please

I was wonderin the same actually. They are ok during day, but at night with the "dome" light on its hard to see through the windows.

Brett_Henderson
January 7th, 2010, 17:20

see below please

You know ? I'm not even sure where those come from. I spent a lot of time trying to get the tinting right (have you noticed how it goes from darker at the top, to lighter at the bottom, and has that neat "color" to it ; from the exterior view?).. and that seems to be a by-product when the same glass is used for the interior view, which I prefer to an over-bearing reflection of the interior that you find in most models.. it really screws up night vision.

Aside from me opening the Gmax source-file, and reducing opacity.. playing with the alpha/spec/spec-alpha might work. I included a layered paint kit if someone feels brave.

If there seem to be enough issues reported to warrant a patch.. I'll put this on the list.

:wiggle:

Brett_Henderson
January 7th, 2010, 17:23
They are ok during day, but at night with the "dome" light on its hard to see through the windows.<!-- / message -->

LOL.. now you've gone and done it :jump:

That's how it SHOULD be .. so now I'll never fix it :kilroy:

Seriously though, it'll be on the list.. :salute:

heywooood
January 7th, 2010, 17:27
Brett - thank you for your reply - and yes I am very impressed with the way the glass looks in exterior view. The tinting is especially well executed and believe me, I was loath to make any critique at all.

but the 'tiger striping' on the glass in the interior view is mildly distracting to me - but I will not let it stop me from using the V tail - it really is a terrific job of modeling.

ryanbatc
January 7th, 2010, 17:27
Again we thank you, I know I'm not trying to find the negative aspects of this thing but the reflections to me seem a little overdone from the inside. Maybe what I like isn't realistic too.... bah

Brett_Henderson
January 7th, 2010, 17:35
No worries about critique... I think of these models as akin to a book. You pour yourself into the making (writing), and if nobody critiques it.. it means nobody is flying (reading) it.

The good thing about these models, is that they get "read" over and over again.. and the "author" can edit the product, many times without having to fire up the printing press :wiggle:

Railrunner130
January 7th, 2010, 17:52
Many thanks Brett!

If I recall correctly, last June was around the time of the twin V tail thread. Is that a follow on project? It would be very welcomed in my hanger.

heywooood
January 7th, 2010, 17:57
an apt analogy for sure...

here is the glass in exterior view - and understand me when I say that this is without doubt - the very best rendering of cockpit or cabin glass (plexi) I have seen to date - the tinting, tints....tintage?...is spot on

N2056
January 7th, 2010, 18:01
Hey Brett, it looks great! Nice job on the rudder-vators :salute:

Brett_Henderson
January 7th, 2010, 18:04
A V-tail twin.. hmmm I'm intrigued..

Right now though, I've got a C-124, and a Bae-146 in the works...

As for the interior glass.. rather than me wait until a patch is warranted.. I'll just do a quick fix (crank down the opacity), and email the MDL file to those who ask..

wantok
January 7th, 2010, 18:05
My brand new V-tail parked at my virtual homes.

DB93
January 7th, 2010, 18:30
Just wanted to say thanks for the heads-up to the op, and I'm downloading this beauty right now. From the screenshots, she looks absolutely gorgeous, and I've never been anything less than thrilled with any of Brett's previous work that I've downloaded, so downloading this one is a no-brainer. :)

Thanks for the hard work and beautiful plane, Brett. I can't wait to take her up. :)

-George

txnetcop
January 7th, 2010, 18:33
Hey Brett of all the planes I most wanted for FSX this topped the list and it is as good as most payware. Nice FDE
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Dexdoggy
January 7th, 2010, 18:43
This looks awesome! Any chance of uploading here, or over at Flightsim?!:redface:

heywooood
January 7th, 2010, 19:19
As for the interior glass.. rather than me wait until a patch is warranted.. I'll just do a quick fix (crank down the opacity), and email the MDL file to those who ask..

I really appreciate that you would offer to do that sir - thank you

I will PM my email address to you shortly :ernae:

Killbilly
January 7th, 2010, 19:41
I love this bird! Thank you, Mr. Henderson, so much. I've been begging for a native V-tail for as long as I've had FSX. This one is a joy to fly and looks terrific. :medals:

I, too, would like to see the lowered window opacity, but my e-mail is buggy. If you get a chance, would you upload the altered model somewhere? It's no biggie, and I can wait.

What I can't wait for is a slew of great repaints for this classic! Anyone got brushes ready? :wiggle:

thunder100
January 7th, 2010, 23:02
dear Brett

I fly it as it is the onyl V-Tail Bonanza in FSX yet

And it is great

I can compare it to the portover Carenado V35 and to the DreamFleet A36 and you did a tremendous job.

the only thing I would like to ask you(sent you a mail as well) is,if you make any changes,to make a different VC version (Different cut outs that a more modern avionics could be used

Particular on HSI(no modelled knobs) to use Sandel and on the radio stack to use GPS.If the main instrument area is flat with no cutouts and knobs and the instruments are diurectly on there,also fine

Apart this which is nothing to critizize nothing to remark(maybe a bit much climb power)

But as team member of the Constellation/Starliner team(FDE/effects) I can correct this by mayself if really true

All the best

thunder100
aka
Roland

grunau_baby
January 8th, 2010, 00:52
Thanks Brett!

I allready missed this shape in FSX. Going to be a classic in my hangar!!!:ernae:

Any chance you can provide a paintkit in PSD format? My photoshop wonīt open your psp file. Would be great!

Thanks
Alex

Brett_Henderson
January 8th, 2010, 02:47
dear Brett

I fly it as it is the onyl V-Tail Bonanza in FSX yet

And it is great

I can compare it to the portover Carenado V35 and to the DreamFleet A36 and you did a tremendous job.

the only thing I would like to ask you(sent you a mail as well) is,if you make any changes,to make a different VC version (Different cut outs that a more modern avionics could be used

Particular on HSI(no modelled knobs) to use Sandel and on the radio stack to use GPS.If the main instrument area is flat with no cutouts and knobs and the instruments are diurectly on there,also fine

Apart this which is nothing to critizize nothing to remark(maybe a bit much climb power)

But as team member of the Constellation/Starliner team(FDE/effects) I can correct this by mayself if really true

All the best

thunder100
aka
Roland

Yeah.. the fligh-dynamics are tricky... to break down how I approach it; I kinda look at it from a 2-axis attack. A give-n-take between cruise-speed and climb power.. and then between drag and gliding (which is really more about approach stability.. especially with flap use)..

Remember... This Bonanza isn't much heavier than a Warrior, with nearly twice the horse-power .. with just a couple people in it.. it WILL climb like crazy.

I can't commit to a new VC right now..(other projects), but won't rule it out, either.. :wavey:

Brett_Henderson
January 8th, 2010, 02:49
Thanks Brett!

I allready missed this shape in FSX. Going to be a classic in my hangar!!!:ernae:

Any chance you can provide a paintkit in PSD format? My photoshop wonīt open your psp file. Would be great!

Thanks
Alex

I'm pretty sure PSP allows saves in PSD format.. I'll try it later..

Brett_Henderson
January 8th, 2010, 03:31
OK.. the modified, interior model has been sent to those who asked.. along with the paint-kit in PSD format. Eventually, both will be uploaded here.

grunau_baby
January 8th, 2010, 04:26
Used the dds converter and created my own PSD allready, thanks anyway!!!

Still some work to recreate some elements. But fun especially for this bird!

Regards
Alex

Reddog
January 8th, 2010, 05:26
an apt analogy for sure...

here is the glass in exterior view - and understand me when I say that this is without doubt - the very best rendering of cockpit or cabin glass (plexi) I have seen to date - the tinting, tints....tintage?...is spot on
Maybe this type of a/c had tinting but all the airplanes I ever flew never had tinted glass and I never saw anyother ones around the various airports that had it but now all these sim a/c are coming out with tinted glass?

Brett_Henderson
January 8th, 2010, 06:06
I've never really noticed how common tinting is (or isn't).. I've flown plenty with, and plenty without. It seems more common on the higher-end airplanes.

I do know that when we ordered glass for a Mooney.. we had a choice for not only tinting, but the color and degree of tinting.

Henry
January 8th, 2010, 06:15
I've never really noticed how common tinting is (or isn't).. I've flown plenty with, and plenty without. It seems more common on the higher-end airplanes.

I do know that when we ordered glass for a Mooney.. we had a choice for not only tinting, but the color and degree of tinting.
i have flown in a few v tails and one of them did have tinted glass
the others did not, so really in my opinion its up to the artistic freedom
of the artist,
either way i am a happy camper:icon_lol: :guinness:
thanks
H

txnetcop
January 8th, 2010, 06:26
I just wanted to comment on the climbing ability of the V tail. They are extraordinary and though yours is a little too good, it is a good representation of just what the later V tails would do. As for the VC only a minor update would be nice, but hey whose complaining...great job!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Brett_Henderson
January 8th, 2010, 06:34
I just wanted to comment on the climbing ability of the V tail. They are extraordinary and though yours is a little too good, it is a good representation of just what the later V tails would do. As for the VC only a minor update would be nice, but hey whose complaining...great job!
Ted
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

Yeah.. it's a give-n-take between top speed, and climb ability.. inside of that you can play with induced vs parasitic drag.. but then glide/approach realism suffers. I try to find a happy medium..

big-mike
January 8th, 2010, 06:41
Thank you very much for this nice bird,Brett!
I waited such a long time for this model and its great to fly it now.
Michael

cheezyflier
January 8th, 2010, 06:48
nice model, thanks! :applause:
i was getting a solid prop disk so i swapped in the one from the mooney. it still doesn't look right, but better than it did. i really like the way it flies

grunau_baby
January 8th, 2010, 07:12
A quick fiddle, not very splendid, but so Iīll try something new soon with the new paintkit...

http://www.grunform.de/sim/gb_01.jpg

http://www.grunform.de/sim/gb_02.jpg

http://www.grunform.de/sim/gb_03.jpg

Alex

Brett_Henderson
January 8th, 2010, 07:31
Nice colors !

(you'll soon find some mapping quirks around the tail.. but it just takes a little trial-n-error to figure it out)

Moses03
January 8th, 2010, 09:21
One of my fav GA planes. Thanks Brett!

Moses

Bjoern
January 8th, 2010, 13:06
Haha I know but I'm enjoying laying on the couch using my eee. Downloading it would require going downstairs on my rig! :173go1:

Got no USB stick? :kilroy:

Bae-146

:jawdrop:
*Faints*

waka172rg
January 8th, 2010, 13:39
Thanks this is a beautiful plane Brett:ernae:

wantok
January 8th, 2010, 13:41
Nicely trimmed colors there grunau_baby... any chance of having the "DQ-FIJ" (Fiji) registration on the same paint? :salute:

grunau_baby
January 9th, 2010, 05:51
Do you mean something like this...?
Will pack and upload it to the download section! The server wonīt let me login at the moment, will try again as soon as possible.

Alex

Reddog
January 9th, 2010, 08:11
Nicely trimmed colors there grunau_baby... any chance of having the "DQ-FIJ" (Fiji) registration on the same paint? :salute:
very nice. can we get a US N# too.

Killbilly
January 9th, 2010, 08:48
I've been messing with the colors and the panel. I like the patriotic US colors, and I like the panel a little darker. I haven't gotten around to switching the reg. # to my standard N-B5AX yet. What a great plane!

wantok
January 9th, 2010, 10:47
Do you mean something like this...?
Will pack and upload it to the download section! The server wonīt let me login at the moment, will try again as soon as possible.

Alex

Exactly, Alex. Excellent job!!
Wohooo... can't wait to download.:jump::applause:

Thanks Bud.

papab
January 9th, 2010, 14:49
Brett,
Thank you for my New Years gift!
Beautiful aircraft and flys great!!!!:applause::applause::applause:

Thank you very much!
Rick

DB93
January 9th, 2010, 15:56
Well I've spent some time in this plane now, and it really is a beauty inside and out. Thanks so much for this great plane, Brett, it's much appreciated. :)

I know some folks have already commented about the in-cockpit window reflections, so I'm looking forward to the updated files being available. I hope you were able to make them more transparent on the interior without having to mess with the exterior though, as the windows look incredible from the outside. :)

Thanks again for this wonderful plane. It's definitely got a permenant spot in my hangar!

-George

papab
January 9th, 2010, 16:21
Well I've spent some time in this plane now, and it really is a beauty inside and out. Thanks so much for this great plane, Brett, it's much appreciated. :)

I know some folks have already commented about the in-cockpit window reflections, so I'm looking forward to the updated files being available. I hope you were able to make them more transparent on the interior without having to mess with the exterior though, as the windows look incredible from the outside. :)

Thanks again for this wonderful plane. It's definitely got a permenant spot in my hangar!

-George

George,
You can get the update for the reflection from Simviation:
http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?ID=61&page=1000

Rick

Brett_Henderson
January 9th, 2010, 16:36
Thanks, everyone.. and you're all, most welcome..

I'm sorry.. I should have posted that the patch was up...

I'm working on getting it all uploaded here.. :wavey:

wilycoyote4
January 9th, 2010, 16:46
Thanks Brett, another very interesting aircraft. Very well done. :medals:

As a personal comment on a real Bonanza flight I had in 1981, I was in love with the plane sitting in the right seat ---but not as a co-pilot, of course----very roomy if I recall, smooth, and fast. The return trip, as the trip went from one airport and back again, was able to follow a long ridge of hills, as best I can recall, to take advantage of a generous tailwind which enabled ground speeds well over 200 mph about 2,000 feet above the ridge of hills.

If memory is working well enough, it was quite nice watching the woods and fences pass by.

Hill
January 9th, 2010, 16:50
Brett H.

Your aircraft is exceptionally well done.
I really appreciate your hard work and generosity.

A big thanks, Hill

DB93
January 9th, 2010, 20:18
Thanks for the quick update, Brett, and for posting the link (and letting me know about it, Rick). I just downloaded the update, so I'll check that out later, but I've spent quite a bit of time in this beauty today and I really love it. Thanks again for this great plane! :)

-George

grunau_baby
January 10th, 2010, 00:43
Just uploading to simviation!

Some more repaints to follow!

Alex

grunau_baby
January 10th, 2010, 05:09
Another one fresh out of the paintshop! For those in want of the US registration!

http://www.grunform.de/sim/gb_04.jpg

http://www.grunform.de/sim/gb_05.jpg

Uploaded soon at simviation.

Regards
Alex

Killbilly
January 10th, 2010, 05:32
Well, I'm fairly new to painting; but here's one I'm working on. It still needs some finishing.

Paul Anderson
January 10th, 2010, 05:38
If you want a radio stack and a gps, maybe this panel.cfg addition will help.

;pa
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Window Titles]
Window00=Main Panel
Window01=Radio Stack
Window02=GPS
[VIEWS]
VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,RADIO_STACK_PANEL, GPS_PANEL
[Window00]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
size_mm=1024, 768
position=7
visible=1
ident=MAIN_PANEL

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window01]
Background_color=2,2,2
size_mm=156,308
window_size_ratio=1.000
position=8
visible=0
ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL
window_size= 0.243, 0.641
window_pos= 0.756, 0.358
zorder=3
gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Audio, 0,0, 156,31
gauge01=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 1,0,29, 156,59
gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 2,0,86, 156,59
gauge05=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr, 0,142,156,41
gauge06=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP, 0,180,156,41
gauge04=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio DME, 0,217,156,49
gauge03=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF, 0,262,156,48
//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window02]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=545,354
window_size_ratio=1.000
position=8
visible=0
ident=GPS_PANEL
window_size= 0.330, 0.286
window_pos= 0.000, 0.720
gauge00=fs9gps!gps_295, 0,0,545,354
;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thunder100
January 10th, 2010, 05:40
Hi

I just uploaded here on behalf of Brett(PW issue) the model fix for the glass reflection and the paintkit(same file)

For all who need

Roland

Brett_Henderson
January 10th, 2010, 06:11
Thanks, Roland :applause:

Brett_Henderson
January 10th, 2010, 06:16
Just a note to painters.. be sure to re-introduce the alpha channel.. else the chrome is too "white"..

And if any of you masters come up with some better weathering.. I'd be delighted :ernae:

jetstreamsky
January 10th, 2010, 07:29
Just uploading to simviation!

Some more repaints to follow!

Alex

Tried to download them and got 0 byte files only:isadizzy:

grunau_baby
January 10th, 2010, 07:35
They are just online, maybe they are still working on it. Other downloads are not available either, when I try. Will keep an eye on it. Perhaps retry later.

Alex

jetstreamsky
January 10th, 2010, 12:33
Yep, they download fine now.

Thanks for the paints

Brett_Henderson
January 10th, 2010, 16:23
Alpha channel in there ?

DaveKDEN
January 10th, 2010, 17:58
Hi Brett,
Guess I never officially thanked you for the Bonanza. So - THANKS! Beauty job!!!:ernae:

grunau_baby
January 10th, 2010, 20:59
Alpha channel in there ?
Yep, it is, looks strange on the screenshots, but I imported the alpha allright!:salute:

Alex

Brett_Henderson
January 11th, 2010, 01:55
I noticed in the screen-shot; the glass looked odd, and the chrome looked white... I downloaded the red paint-job from Simviation.. No alpha channel ..

Now.. if you, or anyone likes that look, no big deal.. but I think the glass and chrome recipe I came up with, is a big part of the the realistic look..

Your DDS file (p35_1_T.dds) is saved in DXT1 format.. (which doesn't allow for alpha).. so even if you imported it, it's not saved with one. DXT5 is what I used..

grunau_baby
January 11th, 2010, 03:00
ooops!:redface: Will upload the textures as a patch!

grunau_baby
January 11th, 2010, 23:32
Fixed versions are up, please redownload!

Thanks, sorry for the bug:engel016:
Alex

pontiuspilotus
January 14th, 2010, 10:28
Thank you Brett, for such an excellent aircraft!

:salute:

heywooood
January 14th, 2010, 17:59
its a great plane

raptor19
January 16th, 2010, 09:52
Not usually being a light aircraft fan I was particularly impressed by the work on this aircraft . This is a very high standard model for "Freeware" and I look forward to flying it much more. Congratulations Brett!:applause::applause::applause::applause::app lause:

Reddog
January 16th, 2010, 16:20
Anyone know of any repaints being done for this, besides the red one already out? I haven'tseen any repaints for any other of his planes either. Are they hard to repaint?

Killbilly
January 17th, 2010, 05:37
I've got this one done, but I wasn't really planning on uploading it. I'm pretty new to painting, and it's probably not up to the standards we usually get around here.
The paintkit for this plane is pretty simple, though, if you wanted to give it a try on your own. If you don't have photoshop, download gimp 2.6. It's free and does a nice job. I also use DXTBMP to put it all together.

grunau_baby
January 17th, 2010, 05:40
Cīmon, that paint looks splendid, besides you have to start somewhere and this IS a good start!!!:applause: Would be great to have it!

Alex

Brett_Henderson
January 17th, 2010, 05:56
That paint-job looks excellent :applause:

"Paint Kit", is a very loose term. What I like in one, is simply the layering that allows details like rivets and weathering and such, to remain on "top" of any "paint"

Also, for convenience sake.. layers for the; alpha, spec and spec-alpha are in there. You really don't need to change those much on my models.. it's just important to have access to them. The how-n-why about those layers gets into a re-painting tutorial.. and this isn't the place for it.

The whole repainting thing gets tricky when you stray away from the original theme. Non-tubular fuselages require complex; sometimes polygon-by-polygon material mapping, else things get stretched and distorted. My other models were problematic for repainters, because it was just to much work (trial and error), to get a new theme (different stripes, more stripes, no stripes, etc etc) to go grom the editor, to the model.

On the Bonanza.. I really tried to keep painters in mind.. and the only place it gets tricky, is where the fuselage comes to a point, at the tail... and the top of the empenage. An experienced repainter will be able to make sense of it.

So far .. all the repaints have been pretty much re-coloring of the existing theme.. I might try a different theme eventually.. but right now I've got my hands full, modeling where the wings meet the fuselage, on a Bae146 :mixedsmi:

Lionheart
January 17th, 2010, 13:07
I agree KillBilly,

Awesome paint scheme. Nicely done man!

:ernae:

Bill

Killbilly
January 17th, 2010, 15:57
Thanks for the kind words, guys. You may change your mind when you see it up close, though.

I read your documentation, Brett, and I couldn't find anything about uploading repaints. Do you have any restrictions or objections? If not, I'll put it out there for anyone who wants to have a look. Also, thanks again for the great plane. It really seems to fly just right. I'm having a great time in it. :salute:

Brett_Henderson
January 17th, 2010, 16:41
Upload away ! :wavey:

I only ask that you retain the alpha channel (looks like you did).. as it's important for the chrome and glass..

kimdahl
January 19th, 2010, 12:12
Hi Brett

I really like this little plane, both inside and out :applause:

I have just found two small issues that I would like to ask you about.

1) I have looked everywhere in the cabin (I think), but I just can't find a handle or lever for the parking brake. Have I missed something?

2) When flying in the direction of the sun, I get this strange light on the floor:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo110/kimdahl_2008/Bonanza_light.jpg

It moves across the floor when I make a turn, or if I rotate the plane in slew mode, so it is rather clear to me that it is related to the position of the sun. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

The basic facts about my setup: FSX Acceleration running on Win XP SP3, using a good old GeForce 8800 GT card.

Best regards
Kim Dahl

trisager
January 19th, 2010, 12:21
Thank you so much for making this excellent aircraft available as freeware.

Brett_Henderson
January 19th, 2010, 12:33
Hi Kim,

That light is a head-scratcher.. I tried making a "shield" (one-sided canopy), but it didn't help. I intended to research it later, but it got lost in the shuffle..

And yeah.. I always use the key-board for parking brakes.. so it never even entered my mind.. :kilroy:

kimdahl
January 19th, 2010, 13:33
Hi Brett

Thank you for your quick reply :-)

I hope you find a solution for the little light issue. Perhaps someone here has an idea?

And about the parking brake: I also usually use the keyboard, but I always look for the moving part when I get into a new plane while using the "keyboard brake"...

Regards
Kim

jimjones
January 20th, 2010, 03:32
Hi Brett

I really like this little plane, both inside and out :applause:

I have just found two small issues that I would like to ask you about.

1) I have looked everywhere in the cabin (I think), but I just can't find a handle or lever for the parking brake. Have I missed something?

2) When flying in the direction of the sun, I get this strange light on the floor:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo110/kimdahl_2008/Bonanza_light.jpg

It moves across the floor when I make a turn, or if I rotate the plane in slew mode, so it is rather clear to me that it is related to the position of the sun. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

The basic facts about my setup: FSX Acceleration running on Win XP SP3, using a good old GeForce 8800 GT card.

Best regards
Kim Dahl

I believe the light issue also extends to the exterior as shown in this shot where the reflection obliterates some of the planes detail.

Reflections can be controlled by a Fresnel Ramp applied to the texture. I've done this with scenery objects and it should be possible for planes as well. In the Material Editor of Gmax I activate a black 256 wide by 4 high texture file of dds type, and check the reflection box. I believe the amount of reflection is controlled by the blackness of the Fresnel Ramp file.

Checkout the SDK on FSX materials which shows many different uses of maps. Use of the Fresnel Ramp file may totally change the look of the plane, so use with caution or not at all.

There should be many plane and paint experts here that could give you better advice.

anatolpopov
January 20th, 2010, 04:23
This is cool aircraft

Brett_Henderson
January 20th, 2010, 04:41
Yeah.. materials are complicated.. and I'll be the first to admit (especially when trying to get a good chrome and glass off of the same bitmap as the rest of the paint job), that I just poke in the dark until something works.

As far as the interior goes, though. That maertial has no fresnel ramp, nor even a specular map... and an all-white alpha.

Thre exterior "shine" and having trouble seeing even the paint, when the sun glares at that angle..seems realistic to me.

simkid22
January 20th, 2010, 11:02
Brett I love your work. Your Saab 340 was good but this is amazing! It's a blast to fly and it just looks so good! My only critique is mirroring the wings and V-tail makes it hard to do certain repaints like some Swiss ones that have the registration on the bottom wing and the flag on the outside of the V-tail. Aside from that nit picking I love it! Amazing work.

stiz
January 20th, 2010, 11:56
That light is a head-scratcher.. I tried making a "shield" (one-sided canopy), but it didn't help. I intended to research it later, but it got lost in the shuffle

you get that affect if the material doesnt have any spec maps. However if you dont want the hassel of doing spec maps just scroll down in the material properties and tick "no base material spec" (or something similer, cant rember the exact name) and you can then use the old fs9 method of setting shine etc useing the sliders at the top of the material properties :engel016:

kimdahl
January 20th, 2010, 12:09
Hi Brett

The comments by jimjones and Stiz got me to think of a solution that I have applied to some building in our Denmark Scenery project, which had a similar shiny effect. They were the only objects in the scenery made with FSX materials, and the cure for the unwanted shine was to adjust the basic specular shine in the material editor as seen below. The default values are 229, 229, 229, and setting them to 0, 0, 0 will give you a non shiny surface. Maybe this is the easiest solution?

Regards
Kim

stiz
January 21st, 2010, 00:26
Heres the method i use with a picture, i prefer it to changeing the spec colour as it doesnt make the model "flat" so to speak, you can also still change the spec colour and still have some shine, just play about and see what works :)

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/Stiz987/th_matsettings.jpg (http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/Stiz987/?action=view&current=matsettings.jpg)

(click for bigger pic)

Brett_Henderson
January 21st, 2010, 02:44
Interesting stuff... :ernae:

I do have a material in there, named "dull". I can't remember the exact recipe, but it was for the tires, and the traction tape on the right wing. My crude modeling style, is to just keep throwing stuff around until something works..:kilroy: And each model gets a little better.

I've taken up work on the Bae146, and it's hard for this old brain to shift gears.. but this model is popular enough to warrant a "service pack", at some point in the future :mixedsmi:

heywooood
January 23rd, 2010, 19:02
playing with gimp...but I don't get the whole 'alpha' layer thinger...

Brett_Henderson
January 23rd, 2010, 19:40
They look good :applause:

Without the alpha channel though.. you can see where the chrome (spinner and many smaller parts), end up not looking very "chromy". The glass suffers a bit too..

You can use freeware like DxtBmp to "insert" the alpha channel.. and then save it as an extended bitmap (DXT5).. and then for extra efficiency, change that into the DXT file type with ImageTool..

To get the alpha bitmap.. just make it the only visible layer in the paintkit.. and save it as a regular bitmap (that bitmap is what you import into DxtBmp)..

There are several tutorials out there on repainting..

heywooood
January 23rd, 2010, 20:25
thank you Brett - I will look into the tutorials and I appreciate the kind assessment

it has been fun both to fly and paint your P35 :ernae:

Killbilly
January 24th, 2010, 16:35
Hey, I've been working on another nostalgic paint, but there are a couple of parts I can't seem to find in the paint kit. Could somebody point me in the right direction? See the images below.

Also, I've been working on a new panel. What do you think?

Brett_Henderson
January 25th, 2010, 03:24
Looks goood :salute:

Misc.. parts were all mapped in the free area "between" the two empenage sides.. this should get you close..

Killbilly
January 25th, 2010, 05:32
Thanks! I'll see if I can find them there.

Navy Chief
January 28th, 2010, 06:17
Brett,

Thank you for this wonderful aircraft. She is a joy to fly, and I'm really enjoying it!

NC

wconkle
January 30th, 2010, 20:12
Also, I thank you for this great plane. To be able to download aircraft like this for free is a great part of what makes FSX so enjoyable!