PDA

View Full Version : Some competition for Logitech

DaveKDEN
January 7th, 2010, 07:20
Saitek announces new system at CES 2010. Like the Logitech G940, it's a bit pricey, but it sure looks nice.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10427920-269.html

Cheers,
Dave

Edit: Here's the Saitek site;

http://www.saitekusa.com/prod/x65f.htm

Edit number 2: Here's the Logitech G940 link;

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/joysticks/devices/5855&cl=us,en

spotlope
January 7th, 2010, 07:32
Looks pretty snazzy. I'm amazed that the large peripheral manufacturers are actually ramping up production of flight-related gear for the PC. It seems like everywhere you turn, there's an expert mourning the demise of PC gaming in general. Guess things aren't quite as bleak as we've been led to believe ;). In any case, it sure is nice to see so many great new controllers coming online.

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2010, 07:32
Saitek announces new system at CES 2010. Like the Logitech G940, it's a bit pricey, but it sure looks nice.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10427920-269.html

Cheers,
Dave

So many toys, and not enough cash! Oh, I do like my CH Products controls though.

DaveKDEN
January 7th, 2010, 07:37
Logitech's G940 includes the rudder pedals. Looks like they're a separate purchase with Saitek.

MudMarine
January 7th, 2010, 07:40
The price will come down to earth soon enough. Flight simming is going to be around for a long time to come!

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2010, 07:46
The price will come down to earth soon enough. Flight simming is going to be around for a long time to come!

Thank goodness for that! In this age of insanity-running-rampant, I depend on flight simulation to keep me "down to Earth"!

NC

Lionheart
January 7th, 2010, 08:21
Man.. That is a sharp looking joystick set.

Thanks for the heads up Dave,

Bill

2Low
January 7th, 2010, 08:26
Looks really cool but they are at least twice my price range. Also the stick not moving is too strange for me. That is more accurate for modern flight sticks I guess but I don't think I'd like it. The throttle set up looks great though.

DaveKDEN
January 7th, 2010, 08:57
Looks really cool but they are at least twice my price range. Also the stick not moving is too strange for me. That is more accurate for modern flight sticks I guess but I don't think I'd like it. The throttle set up looks great though.

I think the force feedback on the stick is a force in response to your input. The stick does move around, but the force feedback acts more of a counter to your input (reacts to your push vs. jerking around). Definitely something you'd have to get used to, if you're reference is conventional force feedback joysticks.

Cheers,
Dave

n4gix
January 7th, 2010, 09:11
I think the force feedback on the stick is a force in response to your input. The stick does move around, but the force feedback acts more of a counter to your input (reacts to your push vs. jerking around). Definitely something you'd have to get used to, if you're reference is conventional force feedback joysticks.

Cheers,
Dave

No, the stick does not move:

While most conventional flight sticks tilt with your movement, the X65F responds solely to pressure while remaining still.

The new paradigm for flight sticks is to monitor the pressure the pilot applies to the stick, and interpolate that into actual movement of the control surfaces.

jmig
January 7th, 2010, 09:20
A squadron buddy of mine got a F-16 slot to Hill. I met him at Hill AFB a year or so later and we got to talking. i asked him how long it took for him to get used to the F-16 pressure transduction side-stick. His answer....

About halfway down the runway on take off. :bump:

The sim community will get used to it, also.

Cazzie
January 7th, 2010, 09:24
I just wish Microsoft would update and release a new Sindwinder series after all these years. I know they still make Sindwionder controllers, why not jump back in the joystick market. Bwest joystick I ever owned. No gimmicks, just a great performing stick that had the right feel.

Caz

Dain Arns
January 7th, 2010, 09:40
Just so folks are clear,

Saitek's joystick, no force feedback, no movement.
Logitech, yes force feedback, yes movement.

( I know. I'm one of those stinky G940 owners.) :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Boomer
January 7th, 2010, 09:42
Looks pretty slick but I will pass.

I bit on the G940 & didnt like it so I gave it to a buddy of mine & went back to my Thrustmaster Cougar.

warchild
January 7th, 2010, 10:07
I'll give Saitek cudos for accuracy, as they modeled the 940 after the stick in the F-16s. Someone tried selling me an F-16s stick a couple years ago, but i thought it was too weird that it didnt move.. I could just see myself getting all tensed up and throwing the plane into an uncontrollable spin because i squeezed to hard, and i sure dont intend to start doing yoga in the cockpit.. besides that, it's just too darned expensive for my income.. I'll stick with the X-52.. it's a good stick..

DaveKDEN
January 7th, 2010, 10:35
No, the stick does not move:

The new paradigm for flight sticks is to monitor the pressure the pilot applies to the stick, and interpolate that into actual movement of the control surfaces.

Oh boy, I re-read the specs and it appears that it doesn't move. Sounds like the original design of the F-16 side-stick. Hmm, very interesting indeed.

Cheers,
Dave

Edit: I completely mis-read the article the first time through. My apologies for any mis-understanding.

DaveKDEN
January 7th, 2010, 10:37
Looks pretty slick but I will pass.

I bit on the G940 & didnt like it so I gave it to a buddy of mine & went back to my Thrustmaster Cougar.

Hey Bob,
Why didn't you like the G940? I've been debating it, but am waiting until my Thrustmaster gives up completely (which it's on it's way there right now).