PDA

View Full Version : Hellcat on flight line at NAS Pensacola museum....

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2010, 19:32
I had taken some pictures of the Hellcat on the flight line, waiting for restoration at the Naval Aviation Museum, and forgot to post them.

NC

Willy
January 6th, 2010, 19:47
Is this one of the ones fished out of Lake Michigan? I hope they keep the summer 1943 national insignia when restored. You don't see that one much.

Navy Chief
January 6th, 2010, 20:47
Is this one of the ones fished out of Lake Michigan? I hope they keep the summer 1943 national insignia when restored. You don't see that one much.

Yup, that's the one. Didn't know there were others.

OBIO
January 6th, 2010, 21:25
Man, that thing is in almost as bad a shape as my Chevy Corsica....has more paint than my car, and not as much rust...tires are in better shape than the ones I'm driving on though.

OBIO

Willy
January 6th, 2010, 21:57
NC, I'm not sure of the types, but there's a bunch of WWII carrier aircraft down there from training accidents off the Great Lakes carriers.

TomSteber
January 7th, 2010, 03:44
Just a bit of work ahead for them. :isadizzy:

jmig
January 7th, 2010, 03:48
I am looking forward to seeing it restored. I have been to that museum more than once. It is a great place to get lost within.

exc141ac
January 7th, 2010, 04:00
"Some Assembly required. Batteries not included."

Snuffy
January 7th, 2010, 04:01
You mean it sits there out in the open? It's not protected from the elements? :173go1:

David_L6
January 7th, 2010, 04:47
"Some Assembly required. Batteries not included."

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Yeah, they have their work cut out.

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2010, 05:05
You mean it sits there out in the open? It's not protected from the elements? :173go1:

If you were to stand next to it, you'd understand why. It still has a lot of rotting sealife clinging to it, and the smell....WHEW! I can understand why they don't have it in the hangar yet!!

Curtis P40
January 7th, 2010, 05:38
Now..if you did move, you'd have something to keep you busy..:bump:
Curt:kilroy:

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2010, 06:28
Now..if you did move, you'd have something to keep you busy..:bump:
Curt:kilroy:

Oh, I spoke to the volunteer office at the museum. I would love to work on restoring those aircraft. But gotta sell my place first, and the current real estate market isn't too conducive for that. But will try anyway.

NC

Wittpilot
January 7th, 2010, 12:24
Wasn't someone raising a stink about the sea life dying that was left on the aircraft...

Perhaps that was one of those, "give it a minute and someone will complain about that" moments....

Great you got to get that close and have a looksee!

Emil Frand
January 7th, 2010, 12:52
Snuffy, its been sitting in a polluted lake for 60+ years, I doubt it cares at this point.

p14u2nv
January 7th, 2010, 13:17
Considering the years it's been underwater it doesn't have as much damage as one might think. I've seen sea buoys with far more growth after just 2 years. Maybe because it was ice cold fresh water that preserved it more so than what sea water would have. And yes I'm sure the smell is quite the same however.

Navy Chief
January 7th, 2010, 13:31
Wasn't someone raising a stink about the sea life dying that was left on the aircraft...

Perhaps that was one of those, "give it a minute and someone will complain about that" moments....

Great you got to get that close and have a looksee!

Yep, you're right. As in "give me a break"............sheez.....

GT182
January 7th, 2010, 15:02
Snuffy, its been sitting in a polluted lake for 60+ years, I doubt it cares at this point.

My sediments exactly. ;)

harleyman
January 8th, 2010, 02:04
Just in for its annual it appears...Check the oil, clean the plexi, and top off the tanks please... :salute:

It really would be cool to work on the team that restores it ...

TARPSBird
January 8th, 2010, 07:33
I sure wish somebody would finally salvage one or both of the two TBD's from the lagoon out in the Marshall Islands. :frown:

http://tighar.org/news/images/stories/1515_overview.jpg

aeromed202
January 8th, 2010, 07:41
Wow that thing is really showing its age. Its arrestor hook even needs a sling. I can just imagine the OMGs giving way to gleeful handrubbing as the crew gets into the work. I hope they have the funding.

Navy Chief
January 8th, 2010, 08:48
Wow that thing is really showing its age. Its arrestor hook even needs a sling. I can just imagine the OMGs giving way to gleeful handrubbing as the crew gets into the work. I hope they have the funding.

There's only 12 paid employees (at least in the restoration section). The rest are all volunteers!