PDA

View Full Version : I might be a "grandpa" soon.

OBIO
January 6th, 2010, 15:05
Deb and I don't have the annoying, whining and demanding kind of children...we have fur and fin kids. Dogs, Cat, Ferrets, Fish and Bird. I happened to look over to my left...to the 30 gallon fish tank...and saw our 2 Angelfish laying eggs. There must be a hundred pale tan eggs clinging to the intake tube of the power filter. Must have been the left over shrimp from New Years Eve that I have been feeding my fish that put them into a breeding state...or the reduction in tank population, as we rehomed (gave away) three other Angelfish a couple nights ago. I am not even sure if the Angelfish are Male and Female...they could both be female and just going through the motions....will know in a day or two if the eggs are fertilized and viable.

Now, what the heck and I going to do with a hundred baby Angelfish?

OBIO

Bjoern
January 6th, 2010, 15:16
Now, what the heck and I going to do with a hundred baby Angelfish?

Give 'em to a pet shop. They might be grateful.

luckydog
January 6th, 2010, 15:34
Make angel fish cake ??

Wittpilot
January 6th, 2010, 15:41
Make angel fish cake ??

lol

Thats horrible...and yet hillarious...

OBIO
January 6th, 2010, 15:47
Give 'em to a pet shop. They might be grateful.

We have three pet stores locally...Two are corporate chain pet stores...and know nothing about properly housing and caring for fish....they just sell them to make a profit. The third is a small privately owned store....they may take a few of them...but not nearly enough.

Angelfish Cake....that is funnnnneeeeee!

I took a short video of the fish doing their thing....it is uploading to YouTube now....as soon as it is available, I will supply a link to it. You folks will get to see three of my fish and get to hear my voice....luckily I don't sound totally like a hilljack in this video.

OBIO

Snuffy
January 6th, 2010, 15:53
... Now, what the heck and I going to do with a hundred baby Angelfish?

OBIO

Save on cat food for a month? :173go1: j/k ....

stansdds
January 6th, 2010, 15:57
lol

Thats horrible...and yet hillarious...

Yes, yes it is and I can't stop laughing! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

OBIO
January 6th, 2010, 16:18
And here's the link to the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5eh9xSB4Pg

brad kaste
January 6th, 2010, 16:27
Tim,....nice video clip. I'm surprised to see a black and calico type angelfish. I thought all angelfish are the silvery type in color. The ones you have,....are they a type of hybrid of some sorts?
Have you ever tried to raise discus,......relatives of the angelfish?

OBIO
January 6th, 2010, 18:56
Brad

Haven't tried Discus....they are a very difficult fish to keep. They require pristine water conditions and very specific water quality. My water parameters are superb...I do HUGE water changes every week, keep my tanks well maintained....but my water is very hard and very high Ph...Discus simply won't do well unless they are in soft, low Ph water. They are beautiful fish....but not really amongst my faves. I like stockier, hardier fish...Severums, Rams, Oscars, smaller South American catfish (have two Banjo Catfish...ugly as sin, but totally cool!), the Acara family of South American cichlids.

Angelfish come in a wide variety of colors....nearly all of them are color morphs....selectively bred for various colors and patterns and fin lengths. We had three long-finned Angels..two were silver with orangy "foreheads" and one was a silver, bronze and black Pearl Scale...the scales are not flat like normal scales, they are convex and look like small pearls on the fish...very beautiful....but those long fins are a nightmare...very prone to spitting and tearing.

OBIO

Allen
January 6th, 2010, 20:56
I do HUGE water changes every week

When I was A kid we had had lot of tanks.

35 octagone
50 gal Corner Tank. Brackish water
45 gal
50 gal salt water
100 gal
50 gal
45 Discus fish tank. We'd buy 5gal. bottle that are for water coolers. So it was already clean. With a standard over the top and Fluval canister filter.
15 gal
10 gal

Total 550 gal total in the house at one time!

We had just about every fish under the sun but Clyde stood out. He was a blue freshwater lobster.

OBIO
January 6th, 2010, 21:24
Blue Freshwater Lobster...now there is a money making racket. They aren't lobsters. They are crawdads/crawfish....just like the ones you find in creeks....just in a fairly rare blue color morph...it is a naturally occurring color mutation. Someone figured out that if you found a bunch of them, put them in a circulated pond together...they would mate and produce a whole bunch of blue babies. Let those babies grow for a while, harvest them, give them a fancy name and sell them for upwards of $30 bucks each.

I know a guy who bought one because he thought it would make a very neat tank mate for his Oscar.....that Oscar ate that Blue Lobster within 15 minutes of him putting it in the tank. Bet the Oscar enjoyed that $25 crawdad a lot more than the guy did.

OBIO

Allen
January 6th, 2010, 23:08
Clyde was free to us. I think a friend found him a creek. Making him crawdad as you said. As for Oscars. Never had any but my dad did before we were born the fish broke his first tank by spiting a rock braking the tank. It did it again 2st time thus committed suicide. As he was not save from drowning Eh airing? :icon_lol: