PDA

View Full Version : RAF Khormaksar-HMS Fearless package

ian elliot
November 1st, 2008, 12:27
Something a bit different from me, A major RAF station in Aden on the Persian Gulf during the 1960's, this has been a quite involving project including figuring out how to alter coastlines and create islands, you also get a fully helicopter landable model of the assult ship HMS Fearless,

A little bit of history
Originally opened in 1917 and enlarged in 1946, Due to its strategic position in the gulf of Arabia,
Khormaksar became the busiest RAF stations of all time, in 1958, in response to attacks by
Yemeni backed terrorist's, a state of emergancy was decleard by the British Goverment and Khormaksar
became the centre of anti terrorist operations involving the British army supported by RAF Squadrons
A major base for RAF Transport command, virtally every heavy in RAF service in the 60's visited and
operated from Khormaksar including Britannia's, Argosy's, Belfast's and Beverly's, Valiant and Vulcan
V bombers were also regular visitors and Avro Shackletons were used for maritime patrol duties.
A Hawker Hunter fighter wing was on station throughout decade. Other residents included Army air assets
from Austers to Twin Pioneers, The Royal Navy fleet air arm where also regular visitors and occasionally
US Navy carrier aircraft could also be spotted.
Khormasksar was also a major international civil airfield with
the main passenger terminal at the eastern end of the runway and was the home of 15 regional airlines
and was a major stagging post for many international airlines, Testing and development of new airliners
including the VC10 was also carried out from here.
In 1966, after terrorist attacks in the city of Aden and on the
airfield itself the British Government anounced a withdrawl of forces from the area and the base was
closed on 29th November 1968.

Ive made up a basic traffic file but there's enough scope for your imagination to make your own traffic weather your into cold war military or classic airliner, Check out the read-me for installation.
hope you like, cheers ian

SteveB
November 1st, 2008, 13:30
Cheers Ian, always nice to get bases outside Europe to fly from.

Steve

Cees Donker
November 1st, 2008, 13:50
Looks like a great job again Ian!

:wavey:

Cees

Jagdflieger
November 1st, 2008, 15:45
Thanks Ian! It's just the ticket as all my AFCADs and airfields (when possible) are of 1960s vintage.

Rich
November 1st, 2008, 17:50
Ian it looks ok in FSX too, unfortunately Ms changed default textures sand everywhere and very little of the rock we so loved up around Dhala, the mesh I used in Fs seems to work ok in FSX so more belivable.

Just had a fly around Aden city area looks, fine and Fearless is also showing ok but did'nt land on yet, also did a flight from Dhala in the Beverley but forgot I had the full load version and only just got off, flew dowh to and landed at Khormaksar.

A nice bit of work many thanks.

:applause::ernae:

harrybasset
November 2nd, 2008, 00:23
Apologies if I have missed something obvious but I can't see any link to this. Please will someone tell me where can I get it from?

The penny has now dropped, I looked the Scenery section and there it is. I will go back in my basket

huub vink
November 2nd, 2008, 00:29
Thanks Ian,

As already mentioned, it is nice to have some detailed airfields in other regions.

Huub

ian elliot
November 2nd, 2008, 13:59
Ian it looks ok in FSX too
Really ? i thought Afcads and some ground polys dont work in FSX
o well, if it works, it works, at the moment im not reallly intrested in FSX, so i dont really know how it works, glad your enjoying it :wavey:
cheers ian

GZR_Sactargets
November 2nd, 2008, 16:13
Just downloaded nice set for a neglected area of the FS world. Thanks Ian!:applause:

Rich
November 2nd, 2008, 22:04
Ian, I spent 6 months in Aden courtesy of HM in 66/67 both in the city area and upcountry Dhala being one of the resorts which is why I am pleased to have your present.

One odd thing in FSX 3 x Twin Pioneers appeared I have not added any AI in FSX !! ?? the oddest bit is they were all my own personal repaints in Philippine Airlines colours

Still new to FSX and its foibles so still have Fs9 till I decide whether to stay with FSX.

Rich

johnfromoz
December 7th, 2008, 14:29
Curses! I just finished making my own Khormaskar with Instant Scenery, then discovered this!
Excellent work, especially the bonus detail in the bay as a backdrop. I have trashed most of my version now. I found some pics online indicating the Hunters parked in partitioned bays on one of the aprons and added those, and the base residences just out of the airport (they look like sweat-boxes!), but Ian's work looks great, especially on the limited information I found. With some colourful period AI it's a real gem. Thanks Ian!

ian elliot
December 7th, 2008, 14:49
Thanks for the kind words, although i feel guilty about you trashing your's, your not the guy who posted on Calclassics? that Khormaksar was from a different era and biased towards the civil operations of the 1950's/60's, there's plenty of room for different versions of anything.
As for the Hunter partitions, i belive they where red and white oil drums stacked 3 high, i nearly included them myself but i was hitting the limit frame rate wise so i left them out, if you have the Ukmil RAF Honnington scenery, that came with some very nice Hunter Ai that you can use.
cheers ian

johnfromoz
December 7th, 2008, 16:23
Thanks for the kind words, although i feel guilty about you trashing your's, your not the guy who posted on Calclassics? that Khormaksar was from a different era and biased towards the civil operations of the 1950's/60's, there's plenty of room for different versions of anything.
As for the Hunter partitions, i belive they where red and white oil drums stacked 3 high, i nearly included them myself but i was hitting the limit frame rate wise so i left them out, if you have the Ukmil RAF Honnington scenery, that came with some very nice Hunter Ai that you can use.
cheers ian
I have posted over there on a similar subject, so - probably one of them, yes. But your scenery is spot-on to an aerial shot I saw which I think was taken from a Hunter in the late sixties. That is close to the period I want anyway. I get the impression of tremendous expansion from the fifties to sixties. I now feel guilty for making you feel guilty...:redf:

By way of a quick fix I used a round-topped red-brick wall segment for the parking, adequate for all but close inspection. I think (I'm not home just now) you did three AFCADs - one for the airfield, one for Fearless, and one for the causeway.

But I think the causeway got an ICAO of OYAA and the airfield got OYA1 or something. I switched them because my AI looks for OYAA and there's nowhere on the causeway to park a Beverley!:icon_lol: I have both my mod of your airfield AFCAD (I needed more parks, and needed to fit to the Hunter bays) and a BGL for the "walls" in the bay I can mail if anyone wants to PM me. I switched the causeway and airfield ICAOs but don't have the modded causeway with me.

What I originally did was a landclass to thin out the city sprawl and put in some representation of the salt pans I believe were north and west around the top of the harbour. I then added a representation of the living quarters just short of the field, which seem to have been very distinctive from the direction of Crater. They relied on objects from John Stinstrom's Naval airship Stations (world_war_ii_naval_air_stations.zip at AVSIM) which need to be installed - most survived well beyond WW2 as helo or civvy fields I think, so they won't be too out of place. All in all I am having a lot of fun in the area.

Don't have the landclass file right here but like I say, anyone interested is welcome, I can post it from home. Or upload it here as a "supplement" if Ian's happy for me to tromp all over his good work.:running:

I have also done a sixties WSSS Changi, all EZ libraries and not up to the par of real designers like Ian, it requires several libraries, mostly common but some new like Ted Andrews' new RAF buildings libraries. I am considering releasing it regardless, but if some good designer gets in first I will be well pleased!:friday:

Angelsoft
December 23rd, 2008, 03:54
Johnfromoz,

I would be very pleased to see your supplementary landclass file, if it would enhance Ian's great work on Khormaksar.

johnfromoz
January 13th, 2009, 17:51
Johnfromoz,

I would be very pleased to see your supplementary landclass file, if it would enhance Ian's great work on Khormaksar.

My PC crashed and burned over Christmas :faint: and I am busy reinstalling stuff. I used to have three versions of FS9 but for now I am sticking to the 1960s one only and fortunately almost all I need was backed up, but it slowed down my tweaking and fiddling. But I'll sort something out about that.

I was in the act of packaging RAF Tengah and RAF Changi for upload when it all happened. I've been reticent because they not only draw on regular EZ libraries but on Cal Classic sceneries such as their recent excellent :applause: DDR_1963.zip (AVSIM). I assume, though, that retro buffs would happily have installed that, or be willing to. Changi also needs some exclude juggling, especially in relation to some other addons, so my readme will need to be read!