PDA

View Full Version : Panels

Pips
January 4th, 2010, 15:06
Just wondering what's involved in switching panels between aircraft. Is there a tutorial sround somewhere? Feel like fiddling. :)

dhazelgrove
January 4th, 2010, 15:59
Easy. If you want alternate panels within the same aircraft, then just create a new folder 'panel.1' under the aircraft - and then modify the aircraft.cfg for the individual skin you want your new panel against. Look for the line "panel=", and just add a "1" after the "=". Simples!
Remember to put something in the new folder, even if it's only an alias.

Dave

Pips
January 4th, 2010, 20:22
Thanks Dave. And does that apply when I'm trying to fit a panel from one plane to another?

falcon409
January 4th, 2010, 20:56
Thanks Dave. And does that apply when I'm trying to fit a panel from one plane to another?
What airplane are you working on Pips?

Pips
January 5th, 2010, 02:46
The Real Air Spitfire and Scrub's freeware Spitfire Mk.XIX. I quite like the XIX, but it's cockpit panel is quite basic. Thought I would try to improve it. Just for my own use. :)

jmig
January 5th, 2010, 03:45
If you are talking VC panels, it is hard, if not impossible. I could be full of it here but....As I understand it, the VC panel bitmap image is hard wired in the MDL file. You may be able use a different image file by naming it the same as the existing VC image file. However, the new file may not match.

2D panels are easy to create using the technique dhazelgrove explained. You can even use gauges from other aircraft (most of the time) by adding the path and name of the new gauge in place of the existing gauge.

Hope this helps,

dhazelgrove
January 5th, 2010, 09:02
That's right.

2D panels can be aliased as required, but the VC these days is hard-wired into the model - even the gauges. There are a few things that might be done, but they involve playing with the interior model files and will probably not work anyway. Best avoided.

Dave

falcon409
January 5th, 2010, 09:07
I think the only possible way those would work would be if both were native FSX designed aircraft. The VC is a separate model in FSX and so it can be swapped to another like aircraft. If one is FSX native and the other a port, no go and obviously if they are both FS9 it won't work at all.

For 2d panels, as the guys have already explained, you can do most anything you want with those and it'll work just fine.

Pips
January 5th, 2010, 12:57
Ahh well, it was just an idle hope. :) The XIX is a port. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Mind you, I'm still in the fiddling mood. The Real Air Spitfire has a rather heavy frame rate hit on my old computer, which is a shame as it is a beautiful aircraft. Sooo, to make a VC for the Mk.XIX what's involved?