PDA

View Full Version : New SBD screens, lets change the mood a little

Deano
January 4th, 2010, 12:35
and here it is, more can be see on the SBD gallery page :salute:

PS w'eve now migrated to the new server and everything should now be back to normal, thanks for your understanding.

http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/files/product_images/newskin2.gif

JAMIE
January 4th, 2010, 12:56
Any time frame on possible delivery

Deano
January 4th, 2010, 13:04
The lastest release is being sent out to the beta team in a hour or so.. depending on what there findings are it could be relatively soon. Its basically out of my hands, if they cant see any fault then it will be released immediately.

MCDesigns
January 4th, 2010, 14:39
SSSWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT! Looking forward to this Dean, thanks for the update!!:ernae:

2Low
January 4th, 2010, 15:00
Stunning! My "to buy soon" list is now up to 3 entrants long. Hope the final beta goes nice and smooth for ya.

Deano
January 4th, 2010, 15:08
thanks guys, the in house teams done a nice job :ernae:, the beta testing makes me have sleepless nights and plenty of beer prior, resulting in "what time do you call this, Im up at work in 3 hours, yes dear so sorry :sleep:"

And I'll have a pint of your best growl please :ernae:

stiz
January 4th, 2010, 15:09
looks like a must buy for sure!! devastor one day as well maybe?? :engel016:

BOOM
January 4th, 2010, 15:22
Oh that's a beauty!!!!!:ernae:

Pips
January 4th, 2010, 15:36
Ooohhh la la!:jump: I'm re-reading Barrett Tillman's novel 'Dauntless' to get in the mood. :) looks like I won't be disappointed

PRB
January 4th, 2010, 16:11
I must have read this book ten times when I was growing up. Robb White wrote several novels about the War in the Pacific, and I read them all a couple of times, but this one (and Up Periscope) has always been my favorite. It has made the SBD a favorite of mine ever since. This one is looking great. Can't wait to make dive bombing runs on those cruise ships that all all over the place! Now I dare not even open this book up, it's so fragile and falling apart. I'd like to find one in good condition.

Deano
January 4th, 2010, 16:19
hmm I may give this a try and see if I cant fine a re-print

Deano
January 4th, 2010, 16:21
Here you go Paul :

Flight Deck
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=2361973&matches=22&author=White,+Robb&browse=1&cm_sp=works*listing*title

Up Periscope
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=6948878&matches=46&author=White,+Robb&browse=1&cm_sp=works*listing*title

DX-FMJ
January 4th, 2010, 16:39
WOW! :jawdrop:

PRB
January 4th, 2010, 16:47
Here you go Paul :

Flight Deck
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=2361973&matches=22&author=White,+Robb&browse=1&cm_sp=works*listing*title

Up Periscope
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=6948878&matches=46&author=White,+Robb&browse=1&cm_sp=works*listing*title

Thanks, Deano!
:ernae:

RobH
January 4th, 2010, 17:01
Amazing!! Really looking forward to getting her Dean, thanks!:ernae:

ColoKent
January 4th, 2010, 17:08
...PRB is right---EVERYTIME I see the SBD I think of John (the protagonist in Robb White's book), finally getting the radio to run so that he can warn Guadal about the approaching Vals...

Another good Robb White book is "Silent Ship, Silent Sea..."

Kent

Deano
January 4th, 2010, 17:08
Heres something a little different, this time the P36's rear fuselage section.

The reason for the detail, it will have a damage model and also once the rear hatch is opened there will be something nice to look at :)

http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/files/product_images/hawk.gif

muletrain
January 4th, 2010, 17:53
Am looking forward to your SBD:ernae:

PRB
January 4th, 2010, 18:23
...PRB is right---EVERYTIME I see the SBD I think of John (the protagonist in Robb White's book), finally getting the radio to run so that he can warn Guadal about the approaching Vals...

Another good Robb White book is "Silent Ship, Silent Sea..."

Kent

Good stuff! The scene when his brother returns the next night to check up on him is still powerfull. Great stories.

Looking forward to the SBD. And that P-36!

Old Crow
January 4th, 2010, 19:37
Deano, that skeleton looks really nice! :salute:
This brings up a question that has been on my mind for some time.......
As a 20+ year CAD Draftsman and Designer I have always wondered if Solid Modeling is used to create Aircraft, etc. or is it necessary to use wireframe and mesh. Also, I have wondered if it is possible to create the Virtual Cockpit within the Aircraft Model using Assemblies. I guess I am asking if an Aircraft can be created using an Assembly Structure as in AutoCAD, Inventor, ProEngineer/Wildfire or any similar CAD Software, then imported into Gmax/3Dmax? :isadizzy:

Deano
January 4th, 2010, 19:52
hi Old Crow to be honest with you, I have no idea - my poly bender seems to know what hes doing, so I cant really quote on that, however the guys around here are a good bunch which are more experienced in answering your question thoroughly. Sorry I couldn't be of much help there.

Old Crow
January 4th, 2010, 21:26
No worries Deano. I guess that I assumed you were the Modeler.

By the way, that SBD looks gooooood!

Deano
January 4th, 2010, 23:10
Hi again, sorry I just run the company.

krazycolin
January 5th, 2010, 02:15
As a 20+ year CAD Draftsman and Designer I have always wondered if Solid Modeling is used to create Aircraft, etc. or is it necessary to use wireframe and mesh. Also, I have wondered if it is possible to create the Virtual Cockpit within the Aircraft Model using Assemblies. I guess I am asking if an Aircraft can be created using an Assembly Structure as in AutoCAD, Inventor, ProEngineer/Wildfire or any similar CAD Software, then imported into Gmax/3Dmax? :isadizzy:

If I may, the short answer is yes. But only if, when the export to Max/Gmax is done, the triangle count is within reason. That's the main issue. CAD programs, as a general rule, don't care one iota about triangle counts because of what they are designed to do. FSX on the hand, cares LOTS.

kc

Old Crow
January 5th, 2010, 14:46
Thanks KC, I guess the Polygon/Mesh issue in Gmax terms does not translate for me much anymore. It seems such a step back from intuitive Solid Modeling. I really have no idea how or if Solid Modeling is realistically feasible for gaming/simulation. Wireframe and Mesh "if it relates to Gmax style Polygon/Mesh seems so process intensive compared to Solids.

Thanks again for the reply. :wavey:

peter12213
January 6th, 2010, 00:04
Really looking forward to these two aircraft!

bazzar
January 6th, 2010, 13:30

Hi OC,

If a modeler uses 3DS Max, then a wide variety of original formats is available to them to use as a basis for the 3D flightsim model. One can import most things including CAD and Adobe Illustrator drawings for extrapolation in 3DSMax. GMax does not have the ability to import, outside of converted dxf and 3DS formats. But then it is free software which when one considers how many models have been produced using it, makes it exceptional value.

3DSMax, however, gives you a broad range of delightful tools to use which can shorten the build process significantly, along with a blisteringly fast output system (just a few seconds for a 70,000+ poly model)

That's a very nice SBD there Deano, my congrats on what I am sure will be a popular addition to the FSX skies.:icon29::engel016:

PRB
January 16th, 2010, 14:21
The lastest release is being sent out to the beta team in a hour or so.. depending on what there findings are it could be relatively soon. Its basically out of my hands, if they cant see any fault then it will be released immediately.

I have this sudden and uncontrolable urge to dive bomb something! I want my windows and bomb sight glass to fog up as I dive down from the cold dry air at 18,000 feet, to the warm humid air at 2000 feet over the Coral Sea in May 1942!

Deano
January 16th, 2010, 14:29
Hi PRB, shes still in progress at the moment, the reason for the delay is we're implementing engine overheat, nothing as extensive as engine failure but enough for the pilot to think ok, somethings not right which should encourage the pilot to lower CHT, the only thing that CHT will do is create some engine smoke to get the pilot to spring into action and manage his engine little better.

PRB
January 16th, 2010, 14:36
Thanks, Deano! No worries here. Just "tweakin" you guys a tad! Love the SBD!

MudMarine
January 16th, 2010, 17:38
I'm going to be all over this one like a fly on poo!!:applause::jump:

WillKGTF
January 16th, 2010, 20:07
Very nice looking. I'm eager for purchase. F6F was very good, so I suspect this will be as well.
On a side note, have you considered making a SB2C helldiver? Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but I don't recall this aircraft ever being produced for MS flight sim.

Deano
January 17th, 2010, 07:56
At the moment we're finishing off the P36 and then completion of the F8F Bearcat, then we'll be modeling the F4F Wildcat and then a twin engine fighter bomber.

BOOM
January 17th, 2010, 08:06
Fantastic news about The WildCat!!!!!

Deano
January 17th, 2010, 08:30
:jump:

HundertzehnGustav
January 17th, 2010, 08:35
... and then a twin engine fighter bomber.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/imgs/grumman-f7f-tigercat.jpg

Deano
January 17th, 2010, 09:58
nearly right ;)

crashaz
January 21st, 2010, 13:57
WooHoo! Put out these piston powered warbirds!! Man love the work you guys are doing!

Dixon to carrier: Scratch one Flat Top

JohnC
January 21st, 2010, 14:14
If I may, the short answer is yes. But only if, when the export to Max/Gmax is done, the triangle count is within reason. That's the main issue. CAD programs, as a general rule, don't care one iota about triangle counts because of what they are designed to do. FSX on the hand, cares LOTS.

kc

Colin,

Have you actually imported a CAD model into MAX before? I attempted it once with an Inventor model into MAX, and found the import process to be unsatisfactory. The model consisted primarily of lofted cross-sections with splines as guide rails, and on import the guide rails were clearly visible in the visual model. There were also some graphical singularities around complex geometries which I was only able to remove with a high mesh resolution. Have you found a satisfactory work around to this? The mathematical nature of CAD has always been more appealing (to me) than visual modeling, but I've not been able to find a way make it work.

fliger747
January 21st, 2010, 20:35
Yes the SB2C "Helldiver" was done for FS9.....

krazycolin
January 22nd, 2010, 04:47
[QUOTE=JohnC;343608]Colin,

Have you actually imported a CAD model into MAX before? I attempted it once with an Inventor model into MAX, and found the import process to be unsatisfactory. The model consisted primarily of lofted cross-sections with splines as guide rails, and on import the guide rails were clearly visible in the visual model. There were also some graphical singularities around complex geometries which I was only able to remove with a high mesh resolution. Have you found a satisfactory work around to this? The mathematical nature of CAD has always been more appealing (to me) than visual modeling, but I've not been able to find a way make it work.[/QUOTE

John, sent a PM. I think this should be done elsewhere seeing as it's not "my" thread nor is it relevant to the SBD.

thanks.

fliger747
January 22nd, 2010, 08:22
These things do tend to wander. For instance we have a whole set of forums for designers which seem to get ignored. I am involved in the Flight Dynamics one, but more such questions tend to show up in the general forums.

I hope you can continue this informative design discussion in one of them!

Cheers to all and I am happy to se a series of these historic planes being done! T