PDA

View Full Version : Me again with a dumb question.

OKOutlaw
January 2nd, 2010, 12:08
How do I get into the ETO?
I am (of course) running in CFS2.
I know I ask a lot of stupid questions and I would like to say this will be the last, but, it most likely is not.
I surely must be missing something.
Thanks, AGAIN!!:isadizzy:

mariereid
January 2nd, 2010, 12:39
Hi Outlaw. I believe you have to add it all yourself, but you can find all the gear in the add-ons. The guys have pretty well made everthing you need. I am sure someone will tell you where to start. D'ont feel bad, I have never left the PTO. :ernae:

OKOutlaw
January 2nd, 2010, 12:46
Thanks mariereid, I will start digging.:salute:

ckissling
January 2nd, 2010, 12:47
OK,
#1 NO questions are dumb, someone learns something from the answer.
#2 go to CFS2 Utilites on the right of the main home page, there is info on
installing The ETO and installing a second install of CFS2 That can be a
ETO only or whatever you want. ckissling

OKOutlaw
January 2nd, 2010, 12:56
I'm telling you guys the Basement is a great place to be THANX!!:monkies:

Jagdflieger
January 2nd, 2010, 12:59
OK,

The easiest way is to go to Freeflight and then select an airfield that you have installed and is in the ETO. Second would be to install a mission made up for the ETO and select it from the single mission menu.

Let me assume that you have not installed any ETO infrastructure and let's get started. The ETO must be installed as optional scenery and airplanes. It's all fairly easy and straight forward and is a gradual process.

I guess the best way to explain it is to list the add ons that you'll need. Almost all of them are in the library here. All come with instructions to install them. Once you get the airfields installed, the CFS 2 program will give you the option of flying from those airfields in the Freeflight menu.

What you'll need:

1. Airfieds. 2TAF or Achim's fine aerodromes to start with
2. Mesh (mountains and valleys).
3. Textures for Europe (SDC or the new FS X conversions)
4. Airplanes (German-French-British-USAAC-Romanian-Etc.)

We can use this thread as a "how to" in order to get started and flying in the ETO.

First: Go to this link and download the British aerodromes by Achim:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=12910

Install per the instructions and activate through the Scenery Library in CFS 2. These airfields will require you to install some other scenery files, but the readme file by Achim is very well written and will give you all the links you need to do so. Take your time as once these extra files are installed, they will also work for airfields all over Europe and the MTO.

Second: Install these two aeroplanes:

Do 17z-2: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=9409

Hurricane Mk 1a: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=2996#download

Once you have these installed, post on this thread and I'll make up a quick mission for you to play with and will get you over London circa the late summer of 1940.

OKOutlaw
January 2nd, 2010, 13:11
Thanks Jad,
Not going to be able to get this done today. Just got busy at other things. But I will try tomorrow, and probably be back here asking more questions.
:salute:

Jagdflieger
January 2nd, 2010, 16:08
No hurry. I've got a few more days of leave yet.

Here's a quick and simple intercept mission over London. It's an air start, so you won't need the airfields just yet unless you feel like a challenge. Just install the two airplanes above and you'll be in the ETO. Download and unzip the mission to your Missions folder, start CFS 2 and look for the mission at Menu > Missions > British > Do 17Z Intercept.

tonybones2112
January 2nd, 2010, 21:30
How do I get into the ETO?
I am (of course) running in CFS2.
I know I ask a lot of stupid questions and I would like to say this will be the last, but, it most likely is not.
I surely must be missing something.
Thanks, AGAIN!!:isadizzy:

Outlaw, I have the sim, the planes, the book, and a life-long learning disability. Most of this has me baffled, but the reason this sim has lasted this long is the guy in the next foxhole is there to show you which way to shoot. I'm sure there are many fine forums out there, this is home for CFS2 for me.

Bones

Jagdflieger
January 2nd, 2010, 21:45
I updated the mission a bit. After being deployed for some time without CFS 2, I forgot a few little details like disabling the warp and adding front lines. Delete the mission from above and add the one below to your missions folder. It'll play out a bit better.

dhasdell
January 2nd, 2010, 22:28
You might prefer one of the Hurricanes at this site (http://www.btinternet.com/%7Eduxford.legends/), as they are in Battle of Britain colours. HuriLEDCFS2FS2002.zip (http://www.btinternet.com/%7Eduxford.legends/downloads/Hurricanes/HuriLEDCFS2FS2002.zip) is Douglas Bader's.

hewman100
January 3rd, 2010, 02:59
There is of course Ramis 'Guide to ETO scenery installation' which gives you practically all the info you need for scenery!

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=12468

The only problem will possibly be getting SdCs stuff.

When are we going to organise to put it up here at SOH? The unreliabilty of acquiring it direct must annoy people.

Devildog73
January 3rd, 2010, 03:53
OKOutlaw,
Some guys do it differently, but I found the easiest way to have multiple installs of CFS2 is to use the old DOS remark "REM " in front of the Combat Flight Simulator 2 folder after the first install. Just right click the folder and click "rename" then 'arrow' over to the front of the name and type REM (space) name of folder.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\REM Combat Flight Simulator 2

Then make a new folder: ETO or Europe, etc.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ETO

Then run install of CFS2 and select "Custom" and guide it to the new folder ETO. Once installed remove the REM from the original.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ETO\Combat Flight Simulator 2

You now have 2 installs of CFS2. You then make shortcuts on the desktop to the CFS2.exe for both and name them PTO and ETO. I also make shortcuts to the Mission Builder for each.

The other way to do it is to just copy and past CFS2 into as many ETO, MTO, PTO Early, PTO Mid, PTO Late, etc. folders as you like. I usually do this ONLY AFTER INSTALLING ALL library objects, buildings, damaged infrastructure, trees, vehicles, ships that are generic to all theaters.

mariereid
January 3rd, 2010, 05:03
Sorry, OK, I just want to ask a question on the topic of multi installs. I just copied 1 of my installs to the desktop, to a new renamed folder. I can run the sim by using the cfs2 app in the new folder. I removed an aircraft, just to see if it would have any effect on my other installs. It did not. I am wondering if this will cause any problems?
The reason I did this was because I am having a problem getting anymore installs to install. I have 2 (not counting the one I just made) I tried the approved ways mentioned above. They worked for me before, I have a feeling that I messed something up making shortcuts or something. If there will not be any problems, this will work for me, untill I figure out where I screwed up.
Back to you, OKOutlaw.:salute:

OKOutlaw
January 3rd, 2010, 16:14
First Jadg, so I don't miss the chance to thank you enough before your leave is up, Thanks a lot. I am still trying to get back to this.

The same to the rest of you guys, I really mean it when I say the Basement is the best place to hang out, THANKS!!

Devildog73
January 3rd, 2010, 16:53
mariereid,

Let me be sure I understand you; did you copy your entire CFS2 to your desktop, or just the shortcut?

This is what your properties of your shortcuts should resemble.

Devildog73
January 3rd, 2010, 16:57
Here is what my Microsoft Games\ looks like.

mariereid
January 4th, 2010, 05:19
Hi DD; All I did was, make a new folder on my desktop called "Combat Flight Simulator 2 three". Next I copied and pasted all the files from my "dvslats" install. That's it. Everything seems to work fine. I just noticed an icon in the start up menu and it starts from there. It seems so easy, I figure there must be some problems that I will run into. I have backed up a stock copy, a "rhump's" copy and a "dvslats" copy on discs. I figure that I can just copy one of these and add or subtract whatever I need.
I just did this because even after renaming my installs, I cannot get disc one install to work. I just have the option to re install or uninstall.
After a few chores, I am going to do the same thing with mission builder.
Can you see any promblems with doing it this way?:salute:

PS I copied the files from my "dvslats files" shortcut on my desk top. Sorry if this is confusing, my pc lingo, she ain't so good!

Devildog73
January 4th, 2010, 14:41
The only problem I see is that by placing the program on your desktop instead of just the shortcut, you will be using alot of resources that will slow the PC down as you put more and more on the desktop. Desktop programs use a lot of the computer's resources.

mariereid
January 4th, 2010, 16:04
Thanks Devildog 73, with a little foolin' around I maybe able to get rid of it and make a shortcut from the startup Icon. I almost think I know what I'm doing! It's never good when that happens!:ernae::salute:

Rusty
January 4th, 2010, 16:44
I want to thank you for the Donationware aircraft over the Holidays, but when I tried to get some of the skins for the P-36 I got a page error, are they still available?

Jagdflieger
January 4th, 2010, 16:50
Rusty,

First, welcome to the Outhouse. Good to have you in the Basement with the rest of the Faithful.

We lost some of our library in a server crash last February. While we have recovered most and have re-uploaded many, there are still quite a few missing files. Not sure if we'll ever recover all of 'em.

msfossey
January 4th, 2010, 19:16
Rusty, which skins are you looking for. I have several, maybe the one you want?

msfossey

OKOutlaw
January 4th, 2010, 19:30
Actually I have three complete installations. The standard, one for FOX FOUR, and now I am trying to set up ETO. This is the first time trying anything I my own though. It seems to be a lot of work, but a LOT of fun.:icon_lol:

Jagdflieger
January 4th, 2010, 19:40
OK,

Rami's tutorial ought to be the perfect tool to get you started. The ETO can be quite a detailed and accurate location in CFS 2.

mariereid
January 5th, 2010, 04:18
It is fun! I may never understand how it all works, but it sure is great when it all comes together! OK, I think you will have a great time with it. Thanks for asking your question, I learned a bit more. :ernae:

miamieagle
January 5th, 2010, 06:38
Now you can fly all over the World.

Another way is doing it through the Mission Builder. Press the Start Buttom and use the Mouse pointer to all program.A column of program install now appears. Glance your Mouse pointer to where it says Mocrosft/Combat flight Simulator 2/Mission Builder. Click on where it says Mission Builder. Load it up and then turn it off. If you have XP Window you do this several timer. After you do this several times a Mission Builder Icon appears on the top of the Start Bottom on your Window display tool Bar. Press the Start Buttom and you should see it as your most resent most common program been use. Copy it and place it on your Window display. Change its name to Mission Builder Combat Flight Simulator 2 or to Whatever name you desire.

After that go Jag SOH http://www.combatfs.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Jagdflieger

and download his
http://www.combatfs.com/images/jpg.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))http://www.combatfs.com/images/zip.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))Oparea File Update V1.3 for Mission (http://www.combatfs.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=info&FileUploadName=Jagdflieger&FileID=10885)

Now look for the Info Folder thats Inside the Combat flight Simulator Folder.After that look for a File thats is call Opareas and open it up with Note book and erase its content and replace it with Jags Opeares instead. It a lot better than the original one.

Now I recopmmend you get Coyotes Mission Builder Tutorial.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=Cody Coyote

miamieagle
January 5th, 2010, 07:16
Now Open the Mission Builder and Look for a Icon on the extrem left. Here is where you start a new Mission. Click on it and you will a see Map of the Solomon area with two Options. One call Airfields and the other one call Areas. Click on Areas and you bee given several areas to chose from. Chose Europe and you will end up in Europe.

OKOutlaw
January 10th, 2010, 11:32
Thanks Miami, I have all this downloaded. Now all I have to do is find time to check it out, maybe in a day or two I hope.
Have to dig out of the snow by tomorrow so I better get busy.
We have drifts of up to about 12 or 14 inches in our driveway and I have people coming over. GOOD TIMING!! LOL