PDA

View Full Version : Don't get the deck dept. PO'd at you!

PRB
December 28th, 2009, 08:10
From The Ship that Held the Line – The USS Hornet and the First Year of the Pacific War, by Lisle A. Rose. Commander Frank Akers was the ship's navigator, and apparently not exactly universally liked aboard the Hornet. Rose is writing here about how cramped it was aboard even a large ship like an aircraft carrier at sea during WW-II.

"Frank Akers was the only senior officer aside from the captain who had a sea cabin in the island. It was essential for the ship's navigator to be close to his work and readily available at all hours of the day or night. But Akers did not always appreciate the privilege. He was especially irritated that water pressure up in the island was weak and undependable. Showers were often tepid little stream of water, and toilets seldom flushed fully after one or two tries. In the long weeks after leaving Norfolk, Akers's complaints became more frequent, bitter, and pointed. The culprit, he claimed, was the ship's first lieutenant, Lt. Comdr. Henry Moran, who was responsible for all deck work and repair activities. One day during the voyage to the New Hebrides, Akers left the bridge to go back to his cabin for a "rest." Suddenly he erupted back onto the bridge, sputtering and cursing; the bottom of his khaki uniform shirt was soaked and flecked with feces. Someone in the deck department had become fed up with Akers's bellyaching and had cut the main fire-fighting water line with its enormous pressure directly into the navigator's plumbing. Now Akers would have all the water power he needed for toilet or shower. Akers was furious. Mitscher [Captian Marc A Mitscher, then CO of Hornet] and his exec, George Henderson, exchanged amused glances and promised to try to find the culprit. That evening an anonymous "scatological poem" about the incident appeared on the wardroom bulletin board, no doubt the product of Henderson's fertile mind. Nothing more was heard from Akers about insufficient water pressure in his stateroom."

jmig
December 28th, 2009, 15:02
It is good to realize that even in time of war, silliness can still exist. I bet that Navigator had problems with lots of things in the world. :)

Thanks for the snapshot.

Willy
December 28th, 2009, 18:26
As an engineer, I'd say that sound more like something a "snipe" would pull. We used to pull similar stunts on my first ship. Most deck force types wouldn't know which valves to turn, but the engineers would.

I was trying to get some welding done by the shipfitter shop once without much luck. After I'd cut the fresh water off to their shop and they couldn't make coffee, I got my welding done.

PRB
December 28th, 2009, 19:11
As an engineer, I'd say that sound more like something a "snipe" would pull. We used to pull similar stunts on my first ship. Most deck force types wouldn't know which valves to turn, but the engineers would...

You know, that's exactly what I was thinking when reading that. But that's how it's written in the book. Heck, aviators and the rest of the air group probably couldn't tell the differenence between a "snipe" and a "deck ape" anyway. One of those "ship's company" guys!

Bjoern
December 29th, 2009, 07:17
Mean, but still funny. :icon_lol: