PDA

View Full Version : Bitter Disappointment...

n4gix
December 24th, 2009, 18:44
I was so excited! After years of searching, I finally found a movie that I've been wanting for the past forty-some years, the Disney release of "Almost Angels," the U.S. version of the European title "Born to Sing."

It is the heart-warming story of a young Austrian lad who's greatest desire is to be a Vienna Choir boy.

Disney cannot re-release it because of copyright restrictions placed on it by their agreement with the Vienna Boys Choir, so it is extremely rare and hard to find...

...so when I found a vendor on eBay who had a handful listed for sale, I immediately hit the "Buy Now" button.

I started becoming a bit suspicious when ten days after paying for the order, it still hadn't shipped...

...as well as the number of available count suddenly increasing from 3 to 8 overnight!

<!--StartFragment -->I am bitterly disappointed to have received a cheap, knock-off, PIRATED copy of the VHS tape, "Almost Angels."

That is is a pirated copy there can be absolutely NO DOUBT, since the tape wasn't even long enough to have the entire film copied...

...the movie ends right at the end of the Sydney concert during the applause. No credits, and no title music during a rollout! :pop4:

I have already notified eBay and Disney, as well as the FBI.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Almost-Angels-Movie-disney-Peter-Weck-EXCELLENT_W0QQitemZ260517968987QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ VHS?hash=item3ca814bc5b<!--StartFragment -->

harleyman
December 24th, 2009, 18:56
Man...That sux for sure..

Glad to hear you will make them squeel for that....

Chacha
December 24th, 2009, 19:56
That definitely sucks, Bill!

....:isadizzy:

I remember you were too excited that finally you FOUND IT on VHS...

Now, is your turn....

FBI get all of them pirates!

n4gix
December 24th, 2009, 20:48
I remember you were too excited that finally you FOUND IT on VHS...

Now, is your turn....

FBI get all of them pirates!

I did locate six legitimate copies available through Amazon.com from "reputable vendors" (yeah, right!) ranging from $65 to $100...

I've also filed a claim for the ~$50 I paid for the pirated copy from PayPal, since they supposedly provide this person from whom I bought my pirated copy with a "Guarantee..."

We'll see how that pans out...

I was a bit disturbed by the "canned response" from eBay:

<!--StartFragment -->

We'll review what you've reported for violations of our recordable mediapolicy. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We'll review the listing or post carefully. If we determine that it violates eBay policy, we may: -- send the seller a warning -- remove the listing-- limit the seller's buying and selling privilegesWe usually won't suspend a seller's account unless the seller has violated our policies multiple times. To protect the privacy of our members, we don't share what actions we choose to take.We may also send your report to the rights owner for review. If the rights owner believes that the item is infringing, they may choose to send eBay a formal request to remove the listing. </PRE>

Lionheart
December 24th, 2009, 20:53
Sorry to hear about this Bill. Must be pretty upsetting. I hope you finally get your real copy soon.

In the mean time, have an awesome Christmas and dont let this bring you down.

Bill

Dain Arns
December 24th, 2009, 21:20
I did locate six legitimate copies available through Amazon.com from "reputable vendors" (yeah, right!) ranging from $65 to $100...

I've also filed a claim for the ~$50 I paid for the pirated copy from PayPal, since they supposedly provide this person from whom I bought my pirated copy with a "Guarantee..."

We'll see how that pans out...

I've had to do this a couple times with some sellers unfortunately. Its a very lengthy process, but both times we've gotten our money returned.

OleBoy
December 24th, 2009, 21:33
Rest assured Bill. I have dealt with flakey sellers on eBay also. My purchases were made via Paypal. In my situations, I tried dealing directly with the seller at first, as eBay and Paypal required to see if it could get resolved. Upon no gratifying end to the scenario, I then contacted Paypal disputes and filed a complaint. The disputes were handled directly through Paypals site. They filed the grievance, the seller responded to my statement, I responded back and provided the needed information for a winning argument. Paypal took my evidence, and the evidence from eBays listing archives, sorted through it, and responded. The stated to me that a refund would be granted for a false listing. Within 10 days my account was reimbursed both times.

Considering the seller is selling copy written material, he's nailed to the stake for that alone. Not to mention an incomplete movie

6297J
December 24th, 2009, 22:49

And how did the FBI respond?