PDA

View Full Version : Woodstock..?

PRB
December 24th, 2009, 13:27
I don't get what was the “big deal” with Woodstock. A big outdoor concert, and everyone got drunk and high on dope. Fun? Maybe so. Historical significance? I think not. Sorry. Just sayin. One of those History/Discovery/National Geographic/Etc. Channels has a two hour special on Woodstock tonight. Huh? Half hour, maybe. What can you say about Woodstaock that takes two hours? Good grief.

Navy Chief
December 24th, 2009, 14:08
Maybe the documentary was made by some old hippies that wish they could back in time to that era.

Although I didn't go to it, I was around then. I did my share of partying my first four years in the Navy. Remember when old Zumwalt was in charge? Whoo boy! All the rules went out the door when he ran things. So did discipline.

NC

Cazzie
December 24th, 2009, 14:33
I just saw a History Channel Special on "Woodstock: Then and Now". It was a truly well done program, interviews with old hippies, old musicians that played there, old footage, the couple on the Woodstock Album.

It was really engrossing, because it covered my generation, kid's my age, good times, the last age of innocence. I attended several rock concerts, though not Woodstock, but I had a very country background and grew up roughing it, hunting and staying all night in tents or even just sleeping bags, foraging for one's own food, bringing plenty of fluid (and not of the alcohol variety). Some of these city folks just had no idea what survival among 500,000 stoned out hippies was like.

The concert itself was a financial disaster, what saved Woodstock was the amateur movie and recording people, who generated record movie and the record sales.

It was a lost era. We were lost souls. Some of us found the light, other became lawyers and politicians.

Caz

PRB
December 24th, 2009, 14:33
Well, I've been drunk at a party (or two) too! My only point is that it doesn't warrant a 2 hour History Channel production. Thousands of kids running around getting drunk, chasing hookers, and listening to loud music? Heck, those Discovery Channel folks could make a whole mini-series out of Subic Bay from 1965 to 1991! :icon_lol: This happened in 1969? We went to the Moon in 1969! Well, some people went to the Moon. Others went to a party and got drunk in a field in New York and passed out. Today the word “Woodstock” is uttered in the same hushed tones as “Gettysburg” and “Tranquility Sea”. Ridiculous!

Willy
December 24th, 2009, 15:02
It does seem a bit blown out of proportion to me.

I remember the Zumwalt days in the Navy. To be honest, I had a pretty darn good time back then although later on if one of my sailors acted like I did back then, I'd have killed 'em.

smilo
December 24th, 2009, 15:06
it's just the other side of the coin.
if you choose not to look at it,
so be it.

with all due respect,
I believe you are misinformed.

at the very least,
2 hours barely scratches the surface
of the performances that were presented.

tigisfat
December 24th, 2009, 17:07
EVERYTHING changed from the 50's to the 70's. People really opened their eyes. The music could be wildly popular, AND straight from the heart, something that is gone now. I wasn't alive then, and I still appreciate woodstock. You can keep all the drugs, but I would love to have been there for the music. My father was there and at altamont, and he always told stories.

I'll join the negative spirit of this thread for just a moment. The most wildly overrated band ever? The damn doors. Give me a break. All he did was create radio friendly versions of the style of music others were making. It was a complete fluke, as evidenced by his inability to make more of it.

smilo
December 24th, 2009, 17:12
did you ever see them in their prime
or for that matter, at all?

"...and he always told stories."
me, too.

Naismith
December 24th, 2009, 17:19
EVERYTHING changed from the 50's to the 70's. People really opened their eyes.

Then the 80's 90's and new millenium came and everyone shut their eyes again and became inward looking and self centered. lol
The 60's generation were many things but we should recall that they were partially responsible for Vietnam coming to an end. Look around, do you see any youth of today arguing against the current travesties?
Some of the 60's protest tunes were so poignant and relevant. Son't see anything like that nowadays.
Find Barry Maguires Eve of Destruction and give it a listen, it's as relevant now as it was then, maybe more so. So many great bands of the time, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Zappa. Today, not so much sadly.

tigisfat
December 24th, 2009, 17:23
did you ever see them in their prime
or for that matter, at all?

:icon_lol:I think we've established that I would never go see them. Anyway, I wasn't alive then.

@Naismith: There are too many youth complaining these days, and it's usually about things they don't know anything about.

smilo
December 24th, 2009, 17:29
pity, if you had, you might have seen something unforgettable.
and I am not talking about you tube clips.
I am talking, there, in front of the stage.
first tour.
rough, raw, and to the point.

jmig
December 24th, 2009, 17:31
Woodstock came to symbolize a generation of idealism and many losts souls. I believe the early deaths of Jimi Hendrix, Janus Joplin and others helped make Woodstock into a myth. Its association with the anti-Vietnam movement also helped.

I am not saying it wasn't something special. However, I remember hearing about it shortly after it happened. For those of us who weren't there it was a music festival, not unlike many before and after. It was not until Jimi, Janus and others died of mostly OD's that they became bigger than life and so did the festival.

I do like the movie and have watch the documentary. I look at all those young kids and think, WOW, they are my age. :)

DaveKDEN
December 24th, 2009, 18:24
I don't get it either. Glorifying a bunch of idiots getting high and mud soaked in the rain.

harleyman
December 24th, 2009, 18:36
The message of woodstock was that 100,000 kids could come together , in a make shift city, without violence ....

ALSO...The worlds all time BEST drum solo ever recorded was that of carlos santanas drummer....Can you say fast????

I was very close to going to it...But a cute blond happened......She later became a Playboy Bunny In NY...

GT182
December 24th, 2009, 18:47
PRB, they weren't chasing "hookers". That was the era of "free sex". I know because I survived it. I mean the era, not Woodstock because I didn't go. Even tho I had the chance to go for free, I passed it up.

cheezyflier
December 24th, 2009, 19:48
The most wildly overrated band ever? The damn doors.

in my own mind there are 2 other bands i would put in front of them, but i definitely put them in the top 3 over rated (from that era)

there was some good music at woodstock, but, i don't like the hippie movement, and i think alot of bad came out of that generation. i'll (for once)
say no more.

tigisfat
December 24th, 2009, 20:04
What are the other bands?

luckydog
December 24th, 2009, 21:36
Never mind.

OleBoy
December 24th, 2009, 22:01
Woodstock is what Woodstock was. Then and now. It's mentioned above. A bunch of teens and early adults that wanted to celebrate peace, freedom, and love for thy neighbor. There were great bands there. They made Woodstock what it is. The people there were free, and happy.

What happened at Woodstock opened the doors for how music was. And how and why it is today. Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Joe Cocker, CSN&Y, Santana, CCR and all the rest made music what it was for many years after. Music.

I think Woodstock was one of the best. If not THE BEST experience I ever had. Drugs and all.

And don't knock what you don't know. I bet half of ya don't know what you're talking about.

And that documentary shows you what they want you to see.

No one said you had to watch it. It's called Freedom Of Choice. You had the freedom to change the channel, but you didn't. Now you're here complaining about it?

Rock music used to be good. I don't know what you call this stuff nowdays? I call it crap!!

I've said what I wanted to speak.

Naismith
December 24th, 2009, 22:14
What was the quote about the 60's? Something like, if you can remember the 60's then you weren't really part of it. lol
I wonder who said it.... ponder ponder.

Piglet
December 24th, 2009, 22:16
I think Woodstock was one of the best. If not THE BEST experience I ever had. Drugs and all.

I see your age is 48, you were, what, 10 yrs old during Woodstock?

tigisfat
December 24th, 2009, 22:21
hahahaha,

I never thought we'd be debating hippy culture. This is too much fun. It's funny how the misinformed can get things distorted. The modern hippy is a leftist freeloader who wants everyone equal. The true free spirits and thinkers are the right wing maniacs. :icon_lol: My dad, on the other hand, I think only got into being a hippy because it was cool and got him laid. At the end of the day, when I take off my (soon to be suit and tie) I want to listen to 'no quarter' and zone out. After that, I might call the rest of the guys in my band to get together or I'll review my investments. You don't have to drop out to be a hippy.

:ernae:

luckydog
December 24th, 2009, 22:22
Ole Boy..............

Your parents took you to Woodstock and let you do drugs at the age of 8 ???

OleBoy
December 24th, 2009, 22:22
I am 58 Piglet

tigisfat
December 24th, 2009, 22:24
I see your age is 48, you were, what, 10 yrs old during Woodstock?

This may be like the self-proclaimed "Constellation Captain" over at flightsim.com who was 17 when the last scheduled passenger propliner flight took place. They revere him over there.

luckydog
December 24th, 2009, 22:28
How old are you T-fat ??

What musical period did you grow up in ?? Disco ??

OleBoy
December 24th, 2009, 22:32
Tig......all I'll say is you're a self righteous SOB

I think that debate is over

luckydog
December 24th, 2009, 22:39

Temper, temper............

Update your stats, Oleboy....

tigisfat
December 24th, 2009, 23:13

What debate? :icon_lol: All I did was tell a story about an old liar over at flightsim.com. The only reason you got called out is because you put 48 in your age box. I encourage you to join me in the SOH happy place. There is a warm fire over here, and the beverage of your choice.

:ernae:

tigisfat
December 24th, 2009, 23:15
How old are you T-fat ??

What musical period did you grow up in ?? Disco ??

I'm much younger than that.......

I grew up rocking out with my first band and playing every Nirvana song I could learn.