Panther_99FS
December 24th, 2009, 10:37
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/091216-F-2449R-535.jpg

stiz
December 24th, 2009, 10:43
an expensive one! :running:

N2056
December 24th, 2009, 10:50
I'm going to make a possibly very wild guess...
Hypoxia demonstrator? :isadizzy:

waco
December 24th, 2009, 10:53
Predator?

OBIO
December 24th, 2009, 11:02
Stiz beat me with the "expensive one" response. For the millions paid for that thing, you'd think it would have a decent VC view instead of that lack luster 2D that doesn't even fill the screen.

OBIO

Bjoern
December 24th, 2009, 11:09
At least the graphics appear to be better than the early 1990s look of the tank simulators used by the german army.

dominique
December 24th, 2009, 11:11
doesn't look like a F15E, does it ?

EDIT : or maybe it's Sid Meier's 1989 sim :icon_lol:

cheezyflier
December 24th, 2009, 11:29
At least the graphics appear to be better than the early 1990s look of the tank simulators used by the german army.

http://www.20thcenturytech.com/w/images/2/29/Tank_01.jpg

Panther_99FS
December 24th, 2009, 12:27
I'm going to make a possibly very wild guess...
Hypoxia demonstrator? :isadizzy:

:ernae::ernae::ernae:

Jagdflieger
December 24th, 2009, 13:01
Back when I was on HALO status, we had to take a chamber ride to stay on status and part of that was to go a bit hypoxic. It's an insidious debilitation that can get you killed pretty fast.

tigisfat
December 24th, 2009, 13:29
That's X-plane. :salute:

The Air Force has been using it semi-officially for various purposes that don't include logging time in the aircraft like more elaborate sims.

Willy
December 24th, 2009, 15:06
Ya know, if one of us suited up like that to fly a sim, folks would think we were a little nuts. :d

OBIO
December 24th, 2009, 16:55
Ya know, if one of us suited up like that to fly a sim, folks would think we were a little nuts. :d

I once donned the USAF flight helmet that I own...an early 60s model that was used by a Major Young (that is all I know about the guy, I also have his flight suit, a pair of coveralls and his thigh board thingie...the clip board that straps to a pilot's thigh). I slid the visor down and flew around in the freeware Alphasim F-8E. Got done flying, went to take the helmet off...and it would not come off. The helmet, as it turns out, is possessed by some sort of demon. Once the helmet is one a person's head, the demon pulls their ears deeply into the ear cups of the internal headphones and glues them there with some kind of hell-spawned epoxy. My ears were firmly planted into those ear cups....darn near ripped my ears off getting the helmet off my head...and my loving wife stood by watching me fighting to free my cranium from the helmet-shaped torture device, and doing her best not to pee her pants from laughter. When I finally succeeded in getting the helmet off...Deb stopped laughing long enough to say "And you really thought that big fat head of yours was going to fit inside that little helmet? With those big ears of yours sticking out like that?" A man just has to love having such a supporting wife who will stand by you through thick and thin...just in case you do something stupid that will give her a good laugh.

OBIO

jmig
December 24th, 2009, 17:39
I once donned the USAF flight helmet that I own...an early 60s model that was used by a Major Young (that is all I know about the guy, I also have his flight suit, a pair of coveralls and his thigh board thingie...the clip board that straps to a pilot's thigh). I slid the visor down and flew around in the freeware Alphasim F-8E. Got done flying, went to take the helmet off...and it would not come off. The helmet, as it turns out, is possessed by some sort of demon. Once the helmet is one a person's head, the demon pulls their ears deeply into the ear cups of the internal headphones and glues them there with some kind of hell-spawned epoxy. My ears were firmly planted into those ear cups....darn near ripped my ears off getting the helmet off my head...and my loving wife stood by watching me fighting to free my cranium from the helmet-shaped torture device, and doing her best not to pee her pants from laughter. When I finally succeeded in getting the helmet off...Deb stopped laughing long enough to say "And you really thought that big fat head of yours was going to fit inside that little helmet? With those big ears of yours sticking out like that?" A man just has to love having such a supporting wife who will stand by you through thick and thin...just in case you do something stupid that will give her a good laugh.

OBIO

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

I love that story! I still have my helmet and flightsuits. I gave back the G-suit...drats!

If that is a hypoxia simulator they must be giving them an oxygen scarce breathing gas? I had to take an altitude chamber ride every three years to keep current on my hypoxia symptoms.

Marlin
December 24th, 2009, 18:16
A man just has to love having such a supporting wife who will stand by you through thick and thin...just in case you do something stupid that will give her a good laugh.

OBIO

Doesn't get any better than that!!!:icon_lol:

Just as long as she remembers that IS a two way street. :icon_lol::monkies:

GT182
December 24th, 2009, 19:13

LOL.... there are some out there that do Willy. And they are not military.... they are doing the same as we do.

I still have my helmet and flightsuits. I gave back the G-suit...drats!

Darn, and I've been looking for a G-suit too. And still looking for a flight helmet also.

Bjoern
December 25th, 2009, 11:14
[Pic]

Nah, the driving sims looked more like Stunts.