PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Aircraft Textures

Pips
December 22nd, 2009, 22:26
Just wondering if there is any science to deleting some of the (to me) unnecessary texture folders from some of my aircraft.

For example the CBFS Beaufighter, Just Flight Tiger Moth, Real Air Spitfire and the Crusader all have more models and textures than I'll ever use. And I hate space taken up with things I don't need. I'd like to reduce them (and others) down to just a few select choices, if that is at all possible.

So..... is it just a matter of deleting the texture files I don't want? Or are they all tied up together with the various model folders as well?

Cheers. :)

falcon409
December 22nd, 2009, 22:36
Take a look inside the aircraft folders you want to trim down. If you see just one model folder. . .that's a lot easier. The aircraft config file has everything for every texture set related to that aircraft. When you open the cfg file you'll see those blocks of information and within each section, you'll see a line that says "texture=" (what comes after the = sign corresponds to the texture folder). Basically, trimming down unwanted textures is a simple process of going through the config file, removing the texture sets you don't want and then deleting the corresponding texture folders. Once you're done, remember to go back and renumber the texture sets so they're in the correct number sequence.

In FSX, some payware and maybe even some freeware aircraft have a base texture folder that is linked to all the other aircraft textures, basically to keep the file sizes as small as possible, so be sure that isn't something you delete by mistake. I know this may all sound a bit daunting, but once you do a few, there's nothing to it.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************
Here's what you're looking for: The lines in red, indicate the model folder name and the texture folder name. When you finish, the [fltsim.0] is what needs to be renumbered to the correct sequence.

[fltsim.0]
title=ALPHA Rutan 61 Long-EZ O-235 01
sim=ALPHA_LongEZ_o235
model=SR
panel=
sound=
texture=HB-YCG
kb_checklists=LongEZ_check
kb_reference=LongEZ_ref
atc_id=HB-YCG
ui_manufacturer=Rutan
ui_type="Model 61 Long-EZ"
ui_variation="HB-YCG (O-235)"
ui_typerole="Home-built Aircraft"
ui_createdby="AlphaSim Ltd"
description=© AlphaSim 2008\n\nRutan 61 Long-EZ\n\nThe Rutan Long-EZ for Flight Sim is the first in a next-generation line of AlphaSim products. The Long-EZ is an incredibly popular home-built aircraft flown by pilots all over the world. The prototype of the Long-EZ first flew in 1979. Approximately 700 Long-EZ exist in the USA alone, with many more being built.
atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_heavy=0
visual_damage=0

jeansy
December 22nd, 2009, 22:42
sorry falcon beat me to it as i taking to long to reply

no you can remove paints from the aircraft cfg and folder , just remember to re number the paint order in your cfg

but most importantly most fsx aircraft share textures whether its a folder called shared or a paint scheme

easiest was to check this is look in the texture folder and read the texture.cfg folder and find out what texture folder is the fallback( the one that is sharing the other textures)

just dont delete that folder otherwise you will loose everything, you dont have to have that folder in your aircraft.cfg either

Pips
December 23rd, 2009, 00:08
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. :)

Oooooohhh Kay, it's a little bit more involved than I thought. :) Lets take the CBFS Beaufighter as a test.

There are 2 models folders - model.c, model.f; and 10 texture folders. One texture folder is simply called texture, the other 9 are also named texture, but each with an different aircraft serial number eg V8052. All 9 refer to the plain named texture folder in their cfg files as that being the fallback.

So that one I wouldn't delete. But the others I can play around with.

So now I have to match up which texture folders match the entry in the aircraft cgf file right?? And I'm guessing that I have to keep one texture folder for each of the model folders?

Ok, the two textures I want to keep - besides the general texture folder - are [fltsim.5] and [fltsim.7]. 5 is a model c, and 7 is a model f.

So now I can delete fltsim.0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8; and renumber [fltsim.5] to [fltsim.0]; and [fltsim.7] to fltsim.1]. Correct?

And all will be hunky dory?

viking3
December 23rd, 2009, 00:31
You are correct Pips. Always ensure that you start with [fltsim.0] and that the other repaints(if applicable) follow sequentially.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

Pips
December 23rd, 2009, 00:38
Thanks for confirming that Bob. I'll clear out the Beaufighter, and then have a go with the Just Flight Tiger Moth.

That's going to be messy, there are so many models and textures. I'll probably be calling for help. :)

falcon409
December 23rd, 2009, 03:33
Good luck there Pips. Like I said, once you've done a few of these it get's a lot easier. I have to confess to doing exactly what you're doing though. Normally it's always a military aircraft that comes with 20 different loadouts and textures from every country in the world and then some, lol. I usually find 1 or 2 loadouts I like and whatever US Unit textures I like and the rest are "outta here". lol