PDA

View Full Version : Browncoats!!!

Eoraptor1
December 21st, 2009, 16:51
I know you're here.

I just finished watching the DVD set of Firefly. I've always enjoyed the show, but until now I've never seen all the episodes. I have a few questions:

Is it just me, or did anyone else get the idea Shepard Book was once a Jack Bauer/Jason Bourne type who grew disgusted with the Alliance?

Was that Bryce Dallas Howard, or the office manager from MadMen (I've misplaced the actress' name for the moment) who played Saffron, the beautiful, but pschyopathic con artist? I get the two of them confused. I should have gotten her name from the show credits, but I wanted wanted to get the set back in case the snow dumped on us.

Did this show regularly turn from high-tech Sci-Fi to The Outlaw Josey Wales and back again? Is that just me? I noticed a lot of Winchesters and Colt revolvers. I suppose it's no more anachronistic than all the swordfighting we see in SF. I can't speak for anyone else, but if I had a phaser, there wouldn't be any sword fighting.

JAMES

Dain Arns
December 21st, 2009, 17:05
Yes.

Yes, our Mrs. Reynolds.

Yes. That was it's charm for me, western in space. It's familiar, yet futuristic enough to keep you off kilter. Is it a 100 years in the future or 1000?.
But without the swords you could not have had the great line, "You know, they say mercy is the mark of a great man, (*poke with sword*) I guess I'm just good man, (*poke with sword*) Well, I'm all right. :icon_lol:

It's really unfortunate that Book's character could not be explored with this great series being canceled way before it's time. In the pilot, we get a hint that he is more than a simple shepherd from the abbey. Obviously in the one episode, Book is someone the Alliance must respect, and possibly feared. We'll never know.

Great writing. Great cast and acting. Great show. Glad you got to see it complete. :applause:

Willy
December 21st, 2009, 17:40
I loved the series and it was all too short.

Sci Fi Channel occasionally runs it if you don't have the DVD set (I do).

voyager
December 21st, 2009, 17:51
Now you have to see "Serenity". The movie ties up a few of the loose ends. Unfortunately not everyone survives.

voyager

Eoraptor1
December 21st, 2009, 18:34
I've seen Serenity. That's what inspired me to check the DVD set out of the library.

It was Christina Hendricks who played Saffron. She's now a regular on MadMen playing "Joan" the office manager. I looked it up on the MadMen and Firefly wikipedia pages. I get her and Bryce Dallas Howard confused a lot; they look like sisters.

JAMES

Lionheart
December 21st, 2009, 18:51
Hey James,

Pretty cool, eh?

Loved that show.

The fans really put up a fight when it was announced they were closing the series. A shame. I wish I could have stood with them.

I am still impressed with the ship, its interior design, the catwalk to the control deck/room.. The bedrooms located under the neck of the ship. The cool 1970's style living room near the mess galley.

Loved that show..

Very unique actors as well. So dang diverse..

Loved the toy dinasaurs on the panel of the pilots station.

"I am a leaf on the wind.... "

Bill

Silver Fox
December 21st, 2009, 21:12
Hilarious! I read this thread... and then turned on the Castle rerun. Tonite's episode was Castle dressed as Mal for Hallowe'en. Great timing!

Dain Arns
December 21st, 2009, 22:29
I've seen Serenity. That's what inspired me to check the DVD set out of the library.

It was Christina Hendricks who played Saffron. She's now a regular on MadMen playing "Joan" the office manager. I looked it up on the MadMen and Firefly wikipedia pages. I get her and Bryce Dallas Howard confused a lot; they look like sisters.

JAMES

Okay. I knew she was on MadMen, but since I've never seen the show, I was unaware what part she played.

Piglet
December 22nd, 2009, 00:39
I wanted to get into Firefly, but it just struck me as kinda flat. The "retro look in space" is really Hollywood-speak for "low budget". Basically 20th century with a few spaceships, and sometimes aliens thrown in.
Having said all that, the cool lookin' guns were done by an outfit we used to rent from in the toy biz days.
Serenity was a good movie!:ernae:

Dain Arns
December 22nd, 2009, 06:41
I wanted to get into Firefly, but it just struck me as kinda flat. The "retro look in space" is really Hollywood-speak for "low budget". Basically 20th century with a few spaceships, and sometimes aliens thrown in.
Having said all that, the cool lookin' guns were done by an outfit we used to rent from in the toy biz days.
Serenity was a good movie!:ernae:

Watching the episodes in order, on DVD, is what did it for me. FOX really messed up the show with it's odd on air scheduling. Wonder if that was intentional now.

I liked both, but I actually prefer the series. Just great writing. So many great lines. :icon_lol:

EDIT: Shoot, now I'm going to have to sit down and watch them all again.

MaddogK
December 22nd, 2009, 06:53
Hilarious! I read this thread... and then turned on the Castle rerun. Tonite's episode was Castle dressed as Mal for Hallowe'en. Great timing!

Great episode, my wife didn't understand when I busted out laughing when Castle came out in Mals costume, and I couldn't explain it to her. All I could picture was Mal asking Jayne if he remembered to bring grenades.

...Some people just don't get it.

voyager
December 22nd, 2009, 07:45
Disk 1 of Firefly has just been loaded.

Lionheart
December 22nd, 2009, 09:32
For those that didnt know, you can get an Addon that has Serenity in it for the game X3 Terran Conflict.

I do not know if it has a VC, but in the game X3TC, it has an awesome environment. Sort of the FSX of space simulators..

Bill

Willy
December 22nd, 2009, 09:43
There's also Serenity for FS9 as well.

Lionheart
December 22nd, 2009, 09:45

Yep! If you get the FS9 version, you might try my airfile set I did for it. It will fly more stable at full throttle and lands a little bit easier. Darned VTOL files are difficult to do..

Bill

Dain Arns
December 22nd, 2009, 14:24

Does it port to FSX? I haven't used FS9 since 2006. :kilroy:

Brian_Gladden
December 22nd, 2009, 14:33
Ahhhh... A subject dear to my (Brown) heart.

Bok's back story will be explained sometime in the near future in a comic written by Joss Whedon, the creator of Firefly.

The premise of everyone carrying firearms rather than lasers was explained by Joss. His feeling was that there are lasers but they are so expensive that not many can afford them. In the episode "Heart of Gold" the main bad guy carries a laser but in a firefight, the battery runs out and he's left defenseless.

Also there are NO aliens. the closest we get are the reavers.

Firefly was also the first Sci-Fi other than 2001 and 2010 to make space quiet... Years before BSG (the new version) did (Same CGI company though)

Joss' inspiration for Firefly was the book "The Killer Angels". He thought what would happen if you took the loosers of a civil war and threw them into the edges of space.

Firefly wasn't low budget so much as Joss wanted it to look a certain way.

People either get Firefly or they don't. Most that watch it get it and thus join the ranks of the Browncoats.

Many of us are so desperate for more stories from the 'Verse they write fan fiction using the original characters as well as new ones (Myself included)

Heck, I've written over 300,000 words worth of Firefly fan fiction over the last two years.

Then there's the fan made videos...

MdXkGXD7gDc

6PlNJU7qBaU

gwPtZHhwJmw

nZSTqa7L2R0

Then you have the forthcoming fan made film (Endorsed by Joss) that will be coming out next year. A few friends of mine have bit parts in it. My pal Chris can be seen drawing his gun in the preview at about 40 seconds in.

gHvMWUhhx7A

Then if you really want to see chris screw things up.. check out his bloopers tape for the Intro to the Can't stop the Serenity charity screenings from a year ago. (Language warning)

QSMuGo4P7zg

and what all the messing up resulted in

k80JXaZfq6s

Stay Shiny!

Brian

Cloud9Gal
December 22nd, 2009, 15:26
Ok, my husband loves Sci-Fi, he watches everything from Star Trek, to Battlestar Gallatica, etc. I have never heard him say anything about a series called "Firefly"? I'm looking to buy him a couple of boxsets for Christmas- would that be something he would enjoy you think? Is it out on BluRay?

Thanks guys!

Dain Arns
December 22nd, 2009, 15:29
Ok, my husband loves Sci-Fi, he watches everything from Star Trek, to Battlestar Gallatica, etc. I have never heard him say anything about a series called "Firefly"? I'm looking to buy him a couple of boxsets for Christmas- would that be something he would enjoy you think? Is it out on BluRay?

Thanks guys!

Yes, and yes. I've even seen the BluRay version at Wal-Mart.

Eoraptor1
December 22nd, 2009, 16:18

There's a Serenity pack for Orbiter at www.orbithanger.com (http://www.orbithanger.com) that includes Serenity, the ground vehicles, and (I think) the shuttles.

I saw the reference to Michael Shaara's "The Killer Angels" in the special features of the Serenity DVD. This is one of my favorite books. I liked how it follows the point of view of several different characters and how they all believe (despite their goverments' shortcomings) that their cause is just, and that God is on their side. I also liked the movie based on the book, Gettysburg. I have the DVD, and the extended cut on VHS. This is a real love it or hate it movie. I have friends whose opinions I respect who think it's a crashing bore, but I loved it. I also liked Jeff Shaara's book, "Gods and Generals" but hated the movie. It actually gave me a blinding headache.

I'd liked to have learned more about the Reunification War on Firefly, but as has already been pointed out, the show didn't last long enough. I, personally, never saw a complete episode until they started showing it on SyFy.

Watched Serenity again today. I'm now convinced that Book, in his younger days, was an Operative like the one pursuing River Tam, and I also got the feeling that Operative (if he survives his depression) will end up becoming somewhat like Book.

JAMES

Brian_Gladden
December 22nd, 2009, 17:01

Thanks guys!

It's on Blueray. I would suggest that you get the series box set and then the Movie Serenity.

Watch them in order, the movie last. All with be explained then watch all the extras on both sets.

Best Buy has the DVD set for $40 and the Blueray for $70.

Serenity in widescreen DVD is $10 and the colectors edition DVD is $20. Blueray is $25.

Serenity trailer

0BvP99-Ci6k

Brian

Cloud9Gal
December 22nd, 2009, 17:17
Brian and Dain~ Thanks both for replying. http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Others/others-076.GIF (http://freesmileyface.net)

Brian- just found the BluRay set on Amazon for $56 (brand new) Ordered!

Willy
December 22nd, 2009, 17:36
I was a Star Trek fan for years, but these days I'd much rather see something new out of Firefly/Serenity than anything Trek.

thedude247
December 22nd, 2009, 17:38
Firefly/Serenity will always be a show that never got its full chance to shine. Cause let me tell you something, it would have been an even bigger hit than it is now. :ernae:

Dain Arns
December 22nd, 2009, 17:48
I was a Star Trek fan for years, but these days I'd much rather see something new out of Firefly/Serenity than anything Trek.

I agree. What really changed my mind about watching ST was "Babylon 5", which was low budget, but had good writing. Also another FOX victim, "Space: Above and Beyond".

Silver Fox
December 22nd, 2009, 18:17
The fans were the downfall of Trek...

Too few hardcore fans to stretch Trek beyond 'The Next Generation', but too valuable a commercial property to be allowed to sit and rot. So, we get DS9... and an attempt to expand the fanbase into new territory. Then Voyager, where Trek really jumps the shark. The fans like it though, so it's not until the end that it falls apart. Then... 'Enterprise', a bold attempt to rationalize the confusing and contradictory almighty God 'Canon'. The fans revolt, in droves. Canon is sacrosanct! It cannot be 'fixed' and heretics (and their TV series) must be shunned. So now a new Trek, parallel and not subject to canon. We may never revisit the original timeline, but I'm OK with that.

Star Trek is dead! Long Live Star Trek!

Bjoern
December 22nd, 2009, 18:30
The "retro look in space" is really Hollywood-speak for "low budget".

Well, as long as you can accept seeing a 737 throttle lever in Kaylee's engine room and having a Mi-24 fuselage serving for the base of a medical transporter and other chronistic oddities, you're in for a nice ride.

The good thing about Firefly's early cancellation is that you might have just one season, but a season of excellent quality.
I fear that the whole deal could have went down BSG's path. Excellent first season, but steadily downhill with a slight upwards trend near the conclusion.

"I aim to misbehave."

MaddogK
December 23rd, 2009, 06:35
I agree. What really changed my mind about watching ST was "Babylon 5", which was low budget, but had good writing. Also another FOX victim, "Space: Above and Beyond".

AB-SO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY ! S:AAB was one of the best sci-fi offerings on TV in the last 25 years, and I nearly cried when they cancelled it. I bought the box set and tho my wife hates sci-fi she also likes this series. She also wonders why I have over 75 video tapes of B5 on my bookcase, I tell her 'because I can't afford the DVD's yet', I kinda lost interest in B5 in the final season but I never considered it 'low budget'.

Rather interesting that 3 of my all time fav sci-fi series' all mentioned in the same thread.

Dain Arns
December 23rd, 2009, 06:59
"Low budget" wasn't meant as an insult, just a statement of fact and reality for B5. Remember, B5 was not on a network, it was a strictly syndicated show. Local channels had to buy it. And because it didn't have the backing of a major studio, ala ST:TNG and it's elaborate sets and costumes, B5 was constantly struggling with it's budget.

As such, B5 often had to to do creative re-use of standard sets and costumes, and full on CGI for it's special effects, but solid dialog and story really made the show and it didn't matter in the end. It was just good stuff to watch each week, and the show rewarded long time viewers in the end.

Really, B5 was utilizing the same techniques the first Star Trek back in the 60's was was forced to do, another low budget production. ;)

n4gix
December 23rd, 2009, 11:24
but solid dialog and story really made the show and it didn't matter in the end. It was just good stuff to watch each week, and the show rewarded long time viewers in the end.

B5 was as brilliant as it is, mainly because the entire story was written by one of the most gifted in the business; Joseph Michael Straczynski (aka: JMS), who began by creating the entire five-year story arc to define the enormous scope of the story.

JMS wrote 92 out of the 110 Babylon 5 episodes, notably including an unbroken 59-episode run through all of the third and fourth seasons, and all but one episode of the fifth season. He also wrote the four Babylon 5 TV movies produced alongside the series. Of the episodes which JMS did not himself write, he did all the final editing of the script prior to filming, as well as insisting on he alone being the showrunner (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/wiki/Show_runner) during the entire five year arc.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned EE "Doc" Smith's Lensman series. In June 2008, Daily Variety (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/wiki/Daily_Variety) named Straczynski one of the top Ten Screenwriters to Watch. They also announced that Straczynski was writing Lensman (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/wiki/Lensman) for Ron Howard (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/wiki/Ron_Howard) (to whom he had also sold an original screenplay entitled The Flickering Light (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/w/index.php?title=The_Flickering_Light&action=edit&redlink=1)), that he was selling another spec, Proving Ground (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/wiki/Proving_Ground), to Tom Cruise (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/wiki/Tom_Cruise) and United Artists (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/wiki/United_Artists).

I haven't been able to locate any update on what -if any- progress has been made on the Lensman project.

Years ago I was a very active participant in the Rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated) newsgroup, and had the enormous privilege of exchanging ideas and comments with JMS directly. :ernae:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Michael_Straczynski

Brian_Gladden
December 23rd, 2009, 17:43
Well, as long as you can accept seeing a 737 throttle lever in Kaylee's engine room and having a Mi-24 fuselage serving for the base of a medical transporter and other chronistic oddities, you're in for a nice ride.

Speaking of the MI-24 fuselage... It has been rescued and is now owned by some dedicated Browncoats.

http://www.arielambulance.org/

Brian

thedude247
December 23rd, 2009, 17:55
Speaking of the MI-24 fuselage... It has been rescued and is now owned by some dedicated Browncoats.

Brian

I thought that looked familiar, SWEET.:applause:

MCDesigns
December 23rd, 2009, 18:06

Shiny!
Oh man, I love that episode of Castle :ernae: My GF was out of it also on that, had to show her firefly for her to understand, women, LOL.

IMO, what made firefly great was the cast, they all fit so well together and it made it easy for me to overlook any sci fi oddities that I noticed. I especially loved the interaction between Mal and Inara, always wanted to see them hook up. Shindig was one of my fav episodes.

I've been spending lots of time on Hulu.com and started trying to get into Babylon 5 and it's just not happening

NickB
December 24th, 2009, 07:54
Shiny!
IMO, what made firefly great was the cast, they all fit so well together and it made it easy for me to overlook any sci fi oddities that I noticed.

Couldn't agree more. Well written and funny. Great chracters, particularly liked Jayne and his shoot first attitude.
Have to get the DVDs out and watch a couple now. "Out of gas" I think is my fave.
They could of at least let Mr Whedon finish the first series.:blind:

Brian_Gladden
December 24th, 2009, 08:28
Saw this cartoon a while back and had to save it....

Brian

Bjoern
December 24th, 2009, 08:48

Shiny!

Lionheart
December 24th, 2009, 09:12
Saw this cartoon a while back and had to save it....

Brian

LOLOLOL.....

Thats about what it was in each of their encounters... Hilarious..

Bill

Eoraptor1
December 24th, 2009, 19:29
One thing I did notice, Zoe continually calls Mal, an ex non-com, "Sir" and he doesn't immediately shout, "Don't call me 'Sir'! I WORK for a living!!!"

Everyone be safe tomorrow.

JAMES

Brian_Gladden
December 24th, 2009, 19:42
It's been established in the "Canon" that Mal and Zoe received battlefield promotions after Serenity Valley. Mal to Captain and Zoe to Lieutenant. Since they were the highest ranks to survive the battle.

So Zoe calling Mal, Sir does fit... even though she called him Sir before the end as shown in the pilot episode.

Brian

Eoraptor1
December 29th, 2009, 13:38
I helped my mother with some online business earlier today and when she went to Sam's Club she got me the Serenity DVD set for 18.88 USD as a late Christmas present. That's the price of a single DVD in some places. Get them while they last.

JAMES