PDA

View Full Version : C-141 site

OBIO
December 21st, 2009, 14:41
Doing soem tinkering on the freeware Alphasim C-141 package and came across this link during my research. Tons and tons of info on the C-141...they are working on having pics of every C-141 made.

Did you know that the C-141 had 10 fuel tanks? TEN! There is no way in heck I am going to be able to simulate that in the AS C-141, but I did get the fuel load set to the proper amount....23,800 gallons max fuel for ferry flights.

http://www.c141heaven.com/

OBIO

exc141ac
December 22nd, 2009, 05:44
Loved the C-141 -- it always got me there.

I did have an interesting refuel experience once --
Iran -- pumped fuel in liters, billed in gallons, flight planned in pounds --
talk about conversion nightmares.

I also ran all the tanks dry once
(all the boast pumps' lights were steady,
meant all the sumps were dry,
down to the fuel in the feed lines,
fortunately on short final at the time,
load was 60,000 pounds of artillery shells at the time) --
but that is another story.

Jagdflieger
December 22nd, 2009, 09:12
I had a love-hate relationship with the old Starlifter. It was the most uncomfortable plane that I knew of for long range infiltrations or trips. I remember sleeping on the floor several times and waking up frozen with frost on the deck. When the B model came out with in-flight refueling, those trips just seemed to get longer and longer.

On the other hand, it was an easy plane to jumpmaster from and with a bunch of jumps from 'em over the years, the Starlifter certainly helped me keep my jump pay over a couple of decades. Unlike the C-5A, it usually got you to where you were going without the en route stops for repairs that the Galaxy was renowned for.

Speaking of fun stories with fuel and Starlifters, an acquaintance of my wife's (father of a child she had in her 2nd grade class) had to pay with his own credit card to refuel a Starlifter on the way over to Desert Storm 1 when that kicked off. His credit card company bumped his credit limit up significantly after that. Of course Uncle Sam reimbursed him quickly when he filed his DD 1531 travel voucher.

smilo
December 22nd, 2009, 09:27
I'll never forget that C-141 flight from Adak to Vegas.
we were either freezing our chicklettes off, or roasting them.
and those jump seats were so comfie.
when we landed, I started working and about fell on my face.
the body wasn't quite ready
for the 20* to 100* outside temperature transition, yet.

exc141ac
December 24th, 2009, 04:40
It is true --
several times we paid for fuel with one of the crew's credit cards.

FWIW -- the Flight Engineer station had a huge heat register -- the pilots are sitting in front with glass and the unheated electronics bay below them. The Flight Engineers controlled the heat. Being cold did tend to keep you awake, however.