PDA

View Full Version : FSX version of Greg Pepper's S-51 now available

X_eidos2
December 20th, 2009, 12:01
A FSX version of Greg Pepper's S-51 helicopter was uploaded this morning. Thanks to OBIO, Mick and Michael Davies for permission to use their files in making this classic model available to FSX. All the textures developed for the FS9 version should work with the FSX version, just don't overwrite the files for the rotors. The readme file will tell which files to be careful with. The only thing added to Greg's model was a pilot figure and a green top hat in the back seat.

MCDesigns
December 20th, 2009, 12:47
Wow, thanks for the HU! :ernae:

calypsos
December 20th, 2009, 13:23
Complete with Mickey Rooney!
Great work, the empty cockpit did look odd before.

Z-AZ1USN
December 20th, 2009, 13:43
When I selected this helo to fly got a notice that the Extra-300.Wiskey compass is for FS98, so maybe that is why the cockpit gauges are rather
stark. No compass and BTW none of the flip switches are operiational
either. Other then that, pretty neat helo and good work.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nk4ba0.jpg

jeansy
December 20th, 2009, 21:07
so please correct me if im wrong,

bleed through with the blades has been resolved?

Dain Arns
December 20th, 2009, 21:26
Sweet! I was really hoping this one would finally make it to FSX. It's one of my favorite Sikorsky helicopter designs. :applause:

Dain Arns
December 20th, 2009, 21:53
When I selected this helo to fly got a notice that the Extra-300.Wiskey compass is for FS98, so maybe that is why the cockpit gauges are rather
stark. No compass and BTW none of the flip switches are operiational
either. Other then that, pretty neat helo and good work.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nk4ba0.jpg

Same exact thing here. No gauges. Followed directions provided.

so please correct me if im wrong,

bleed through with the blades has been resolved?

Nope. See right through the Rotor head too.

*sigh* Oh well. I guess it's the thought that counts.

X_eidos2
December 21st, 2009, 04:24
Sorry to see people aren't getting the same results that I did when working with Greg's gmax files.

I did not try to make it DX 10 compliant.

The images show how the model appears on my set-up , FSXa.

The original rotor head at the blur state was a single object with transparent material applied.

Z-AZ1USN
December 21st, 2009, 04:42
Acutally I am not using DX10. I have accelleration installed...
Maybe its not Accell compliant....

X_eidos2
December 21st, 2009, 05:15
In making the upgrade my main concern was to make the rotor blades look correct and the animations to work. I left everything else as it was. I added the pilot figure and top hat.

Not spending time on creating a new instrument panel was a mistake on my part. I will make a new vc panel from scratch and upload the correction as soon as possible. I will re-name the rotor material files so that they can't get over-written by accident when folks adapt the many texture sets that were made for this model.

Dain Arns
December 21st, 2009, 08:10
Thanks for looking into the instrument panel. On the upside, it flies and sounds great! :applause:

ananda
December 21st, 2009, 10:10
The main problem with the gauges is that they are from some P47-D which I don't have.

X_eidos2
December 21st, 2009, 10:33
The good sounds are thanks to OBIO
The good flying is thanks to Michael Davies

When I rebuild the panel - it will be all xml gauges and they will all be in their own cab file so people won't have to hunt around for a copy. Again I apologize for the over-sight on my part.

There is a folder included in the zip file that allows you to add the S-51 to AIcarriers.

familton
December 21st, 2009, 13:42
I installed it and fixed all the missing VC and 2d gauges very quickly with FSPanelStudio. It's great. Regards, Bob.

Z-AZ1USN
December 22nd, 2009, 13:35
I want to thank all who helped me make this helo work for me in FSX.
All the gauges are now visable and I see the Green Top hat in the Back
seat. I was confused at first and was thinking the pilot was wearing it.
My Bad. I think this is a sweet little helo and I enjoy flying it, especially
in carrier ops and will soon try it out in AI carriers.

Thanks to Bob Hamilton and John MacKay for all your help

Bless you both!!! :applause::applause:

familton
December 22nd, 2009, 15:52
I have all the panels and gauges working except I can't toggle the VC gauges. If I open the switch panel and the VCtogether I can toggle the switches on the switch panel and the switches on the VC tggle along with them. How can I get the VC switches working? Thanks for a great helo. Regards, Bob.

X_eidos2
December 22nd, 2009, 18:22
Dain Arns sent me a photo of an actual S-51 instrument panel. It doesn't have any switches at all. I'm hoping that I can re-build the panel to look like the photo as much as possible using regular gauges. I'll put a copy of the P47.gau file in the panel fix package so everyone can easily have a copy of it. That's OK to do isn't it?

X_eidos2
December 24th, 2009, 06:28
A new version of the Greg Pepper FSX S-51 has just been uploaded. It has a replacement for the original panel files. A copy of the p47d.gau file has been included. Texture file names were changed so that an accidental overwrite of the FSX rotor textures wouldn't occur when adapting other texture schemes.

The new panel is based on a photo found on wikipedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/SAAF-Sikorsky_S51-001.jpg

Thanks go to Dain Arns, AZ1USN, and familton for their assistance in making the update files. :salute:

X_eidos2

Z-AZ1USN
December 24th, 2009, 07:05
I tried the Fix2 with update and I must say the panel is
much better and does look like the picture of the real thing.

Only issue I have for now is making the AI part work in
AI carrier. I took the sim.cfg file and renamed it S51.cfg
and put it in the AI carrier subfolder and then added it
to the other objects in one or two of the menu selections
but it doesn't appear. So I may not have configured it
properly.

X_eidos2
December 24th, 2009, 07:16
This is the text from my AIcarriers config file:

[formation.12]
title=CVL with helo guard
unit.0=su_USS_Monterey_AI, 0, 0
unit.1=SH-51_guard, 90, -80

Change the formation number and title to whatever fits in you cfg file and swap out the name of the ship in unit.0.

Change the name in the sim.cfg file back to sim.cfg

The reason the helo didn't show up was that the software was looking for a file named "sim.cfg" and it couldn't find it because the name was changed. It's inside the sim.cfg that the title is changed. In the AI carrier cfg file, it's looking for the "title=xxxxx, X, Y" from the sim.cfg inside the model folder.

Z-AZ1USN
December 24th, 2009, 10:10
I think I may of got that SH51 to show up on plane guard duty. It's the one on the left.
I didn't rename the sim.cfg as you suggested that would only causethe previous sim.cfg that is already in the Ai Carrier subfolder to update
that file (I already had a sim.cfg in there and it was for something else,
so I kept the s51.cfg file and somehow made an entry in the menu folder
like what you suggested Unit.1=SH-51_guard, 90, -80 and
now as you can see there are two SH51's out there. I wish I could
made the ship wakes behave, they stream up in the air like smoke instead of on the water behind the ship(s). Like roseanne-a-danna always said..
Ya know Jane,....It's always something

http://i48.tinypic.com/2qd7gnc.jpg

Dain Arns
December 24th, 2009, 12:07
I know, I know. "Don't touch the rotors!" I couldn't help it though. I'm trying to use the "way of the force" like Jedi Master Banana Bob. :icon_lol:

Just need a bit more tweaking of the textures... :kilroy:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/2009-12-24_14-57-59-381.jpg

Z-AZ1USN
December 24th, 2009, 12:12
Just when I think that this helo has had about all the polish it
could have, rotor textures from Bob? That would be icing on the
cake......

Z-AZ1USN
December 24th, 2009, 12:14
I know, I know. "Don't touch the rotors!" I couldn't help it though. I'm trying to use the "way of the force" like Jedi Master Banana Bob. :icon_lol:

Just need a bit more tweaking of the textures... :kilroy:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/2009-12-24_14-57-59-381.jpg

The panel looks great and I like how it looks like the real deal.

Dain Arns
December 24th, 2009, 14:30
Just when I think that this helo has had about all the polish it
could have, rotor textures from Bob? That would be icing on the
cake......

Well not BB, actually from me instead. Been trying to apply his techniques, but no guarantees at this point. Thanks BB, where ever you are! :wavey:

X_eidos2
December 24th, 2009, 15:24
This is meant to be a community project anyway.

Tweek away I say

Dain Arns
December 24th, 2009, 18:49
Since the model is basically 8 years old, I ended up having to go 'old school' on the rotor texture in the way it's displayed. Opinions?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/2009-12-24_21-10-2-854.jpg

X_eidos2
December 24th, 2009, 19:20
I like it, especially the way you added a hint of the yellow tips.

Dain Arns
December 24th, 2009, 19:40
Looking at pics rotors might need to be more greyish...

mib
January 23rd, 2010, 12:02
I'm copter lover and like old and fascinating chopper :D This old and perfect Sikorski seems like a SCroge McDuck's copter :bump:
Do u plan another exciting repaint? Maybe civilian.....

X_eidos2
January 23rd, 2010, 17:49
There were a multitude of repaints done for the earlier FS9 version. These textures can easily be adapted to the FSX version.

Go to the downloads section and look for FS9 re-paints and look for files by Mick.

expat
April 26th, 2014, 15:04
Have adapted some helo's to work as hoveing plane guards alongside AI carriers from FS9 but why on some the rotors are moving when hovering but others do not? Something to make then engines running? But you remove the air.cfg and airfile and just have the sim.cfg. Puzzled . .