PDA

View Full Version : RAF Fowlmere v1.0 uploaded

IanP
December 19th, 2009, 14:08
For those who are interested, I've scattered objects far and wide, placed a load more trucks, some more buildings and roadways to access them. I've also done some corrected landclass to put in the village of Fowlmere, although that's next to impossible to see because MS really don't like Northern European villages and think they're mainly fields with one or two houses, plus adding in most of the minor roads to access the village and surroundings. I've also stuck my church in because I can... :d

So now I've uploaded it to make what I've done available to anyone who wants it.

Note: There are no AI files enclosed at this time

Unfortunately, I can't find my master AI files that I base all the WW2 AI I do on (they'll be stuck inside my old PC, the same as everything else I can't find at the moment), so AI files will have to follow. I'll post them to a Fowlmere page on my site, which will also follow in the near future, and post a thread here when they're done.

In the meantime, the airbase can be used by whatever you like - although Mustangs with red and white chequered noses are preferable. All 74 dispersal points are set up for single engined fighters and have been tested with aircraft varying between P-51Bs through Spitfires and Hurricanes to P-47Ds in size.

Any thoughts, comments, complaints and general abuse welcome as usual, either here or via Nick C's forum via http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk where you'll find a WW2 Scenery subforum somewhere in the middle.

Enjoy!

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/usaaf/egma/IJP_EGMA_v1_0.zip

Quicksand
December 19th, 2009, 15:50
Much appreciated, Ian. :icon29::guinness::medals::applause:

DaveQ
December 20th, 2009, 00:33
Very many thanks Ian. Will upload and try out tomorrow (busy pre-Xmas weekend...!)

DaveQ

Snuffy
December 21st, 2009, 05:43
Hey Ian,

I got Flowmere loaded and checked it out!

It looks good man! Great Job! Looking forward to your updates.

jankees
December 21st, 2009, 06:24
Looked good indeed! Unfortunately FSX crashed before I could fill it and take a shot, I'll try again tomorrow...

DaveQ
December 21st, 2009, 08:10
4 339th FG Mustangs going up on Flightsim.com as we speak - ready when they are.

Happy Christmas to all

DaveQ

IanP
December 24th, 2009, 16:03
Unfortunately, when I did Fowlmere's readme, I neglected to mention a certain Happiness Consultant who was primarily responsible for it's completion, seeing as he supplied the map I built it to.

In response to this, I suggested that I would include his name at version 1.1. Well, 1.1 is now underway as the church requires a modicum of repair, so I added a fair amount of church surrounding material and... is this too much do you think, or just plain downright evil? :engel016: :d

(Sorry Bill - you get to blame Nick for that line!)

Happy Christmas all!

Snuffy
December 25th, 2009, 14:54
Thanks Ian ... I like it!! :applause:

Nick C
December 25th, 2009, 15:25
I'm pleased you're happy Ted. The amount of swearing that's come my way over Skype this last couple of weeks, while Ian has got to grips with Gmax, well I tell you, I wouldn't let him set foot in that church unless he was there to ask for forgiveness!

IanP
December 26th, 2009, 07:26
I've just totally remapped the textures on St. Snuffy's so they're rather better allocated than they were. I've also built a War Memorial (most of them were erected in 1919 and added to in 1946), made two versions of the church, with doors on opposite sides so the ones at Fowlmere has moved back to the right side of the road in v1.1 and fixed some other snags on the airfield itself surrounding taxiways and parking spots.

I've also created a currently small AI file using Dave Q's A2A P-51Ds. I was about to start work on the WBS P-51 version when I realised that it probably won't work anyway, thanks to their overcomplicated security system, will it? I thought that when you displayed the WBS model as anything other than a "player" model (i.e. AI or Multiplayer) it was mainly not visible. Can someone confirm this or otherwise before I waste time on it?

Snuffy
December 26th, 2009, 08:20
I'm pleased you're happy Ted. The amount of swearing that's come my way over Skype this last couple of weeks, while Ian has got to grips with Gmax, well I tell you, I wouldn't let him set foot in that church unless he was there to ask for forgiveness!

I can only imagine ... you should hear the amount of cussing from me every time I open up Gmax ... So I emphatize with Ian ... he's welcome any time.

:ernae:

IanP
December 26th, 2009, 08:24
Don't. Mention. That. Application. Anywhere. Near. Me. :d

Tako_Kichi
December 26th, 2009, 08:42
The amount of swearing that's come my way over Skype this last couple of weeks, while Ian has got to grips with Gmax, well I tell you, I wouldn't let him set foot in that church unless he was there to ask for forgiveness!
Ahh you too huh!

How's your UVW mapping coming Ian?

:173go1:

:running:

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

:kilroy:

Is it safe to come back out yet????????

Lionheart
December 26th, 2009, 09:35
Hey Ian,

Nicely done!

Very cool details.

:applause:

Bill

Francois
December 26th, 2009, 10:35
More stuff for the 'Ian's stuff' FSX folder ...... :icon_lol:

IanP
December 27th, 2009, 02:12
Well the :guinness: can finally flow at Fowlmere. :)

It has a few issues to sort out, this was just dropping it into the scenery to see how well it worked after initial texturing. For some reason there are a few yellow lines still around, despite all of the mapping points being a pixel inside the textures, and I need to solve a slight flickering issue on the end of the side extension. But hey. I think it'll be open for warm beer and pork scratching in time to celebrate the New Year.
:ernae:

Edit: Have an overview show of St. Snuffy's as well, seeing as I don't think I've posted one of those yet. Yes, that has yellow bits as well. I might fix them. You shouldn't see them anyway, it's a FLIGHT sim, remember? :d

Snuffy
December 27th, 2009, 14:40
Sounds Great Ian! Looking forward to the updated release.

IanP
December 31st, 2009, 03:23
I have good news and bad news for those that wanted P-51B traffic at Fowlmere. You can have it - I've added jankees's repaints into an AI file alongside the A2A P-51Ds and they work - but only if you are also sitting in a Warbirdsim Mustang. If you load the sim in, say, a Spitfire or a P-51D, you get the "failed" shape.

If anyone who has the Flight1 Mustang wants me to, I can modify the AI file to use "Marinell" from that as well, but your WW2 fighter will apparently have a bloke with a big bone dome sitting in it, rather than a leather flying helmet. I don't have the F1 pack, so it's up to someone else to ask if they want me to do that.

So. I'll update the readme and upload version 1.1 today but I'll put all the AI in a subfolder with two BGL files - pick the one you want (or neither) and just copy that into the /scenery folder.

Updates for v1.1:
- Corrected a couple of taxiway surfaces
- Removed a yellow line from the middle of a parking spot
- Remapped church from ground up (including getting rid of the yellow from the underside of the roof)
- Moved church back to correct side of road, added objects around and named as the Parish Church of Saint Snuffy.
- Moved all church objects into their own library to make them easier to find, now it's not just "church1.MDL"
- Added the pub (I wasn't going to leave that in, but will because there's nothing really gained by taking it out and it's currently the only object in ijpvillagelib.bgl)
- Added vehicles by MCDesigns to the scenery by request (see note about scenery library at end of this list)
- Added AI files for A2A WW2F P-51D Mustang (using jankees and DaveQ repaints) and WBS P-51B (using jankees repaints)

Please note that the Jeeps and trucks which MCDesigns has given me permission to use (thanks!) are FS9, not FSX models and as such may cause problems on some peoples' systems. I get a visible frame rate hit when they are enabled, but not enough to make it unusable - your mileage may vary. The object library required to see the trucks is included in the Donationware Corsair Anthology pack, available from the SOH library.

I'll put it on my site as soon as I've done the readme, so it should be available for hung-over viewing next year... Which'll be tomorrow then.

Have fun and a good new year, all! :ernae:

Snuffy
December 31st, 2009, 05:11
Can't wait to see it!! :applause:

IanP
December 31st, 2009, 05:24
http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/usaaf/egma/IJP_EGMA_v1_1.zip

FileZilla says it'll be there in 30 seconds, so I think I'm safe hitting "Post Quick Reply" at this point. If it doesn't work, wait a minute and try again. :d

Snuffy
December 31st, 2009, 07:39
Just downloaded! :jump:

res non verba
January 3rd, 2010, 13:25
Hello,

as anyone experienced the same problem?

I have a difference of half a meter from the ground to the rest of the station (taxiways, runways, etc)...

i have this scenery in the scenery library on top of everything in the uk... any idea what might be?

...and is the only one in all Ian scenerys that this happens...

Snuffy
January 3rd, 2010, 14:53
I'll have to load it and check Ian ... I unfortunately haven't had time.

:173go1:

CodyValkyrie
January 4th, 2010, 01:18
Hello,

as anyone experienced the same problem?

I have a difference of half a meter from the ground to the rest of the station (taxiways, runways, etc)...

i have this scenery in the scenery library on top of everything in the uk... any idea what might be?

...and is the only one in all Ian scenerys that this happens...
Sorry to necro a post, but I am having this issue as well. Any ideas?

IanP
January 4th, 2010, 05:24
Ummm. Pass? Don't know why it's happening - neither the flatten nor the airfield elevation have changed since version 1.0.

However, I think I know how to fix it if there is a split between the two so will take a look tonight.

Edit: Mea culpa. Not sure how I did that. The airfield was set to 37.8m AMSL, as per the default EGMA, but the flatten was at 37m AMSL. I must have deleted the "8" somehow. I've fixed that, will check it in the sim once I've finished what I'm doing and will put up v1.11 once I have confirmed it as an ex-problem.

IanP
January 4th, 2010, 13:37
Right. Here we go again.

Option 1: Download the entire thing again - http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/usaaf/egma/IJP_EGMA_v1_2.zip

Option 2: Just download and replace the offending flatten file: http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/usaaf/egma/EGMA_ADEX_IJP_CVX.bgl

Option 3: This one is really optional. As part of the fiddling about, I decided to create a file that corrects the tendency FS has to sometimes show Fowlmere as "Fowlmere" and sometimes as "RAF Fowlmere" depending on when you look at it. It's not a big problem, really, but if you have seen it and it is bugging you, put the file from the following link in your FSX/scenery/world/scenery folder and Fowlmere shall henceforth be "RAF Fowlmere" everywhere you look inside the sim. In theory. - link: http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/usaaf/egma/EGMA_ADEX_IJP_ALT.BGL

It has been tested. It had better blitheringly well work like I want it to now. or I'll... I'll... Have to fix it again I guess. Ho hum. :sleep:

res non verba
January 5th, 2010, 01:04
Revenge of the flatten was a success!!!:medals: :ernae:

thank you, thank you, thank you... for your hard work and patience for the community, now warbirds have a home in each of your airfields/stations! :salute:

IanP
January 5th, 2010, 08:38
Phew. :icon_lol:

Thanks!

Shylock
January 5th, 2010, 12:13
Great job once again Ian.:applause: