PDA

View Full Version : "AVATAR" movie: the future of FS ?

GaryGB
December 18th, 2009, 15:51
I just saw this fantastic Sci-Fi movie "AVATAR", which has incredible special effects and great flying action. :jawdrop:

I would love to do some flying in virtual scenery like the 3-D modeling geniuses created for this film ! :p:

And it has some very cool helos flying in it that I'd like to be able to try out in FS as well. ;)

IMHO: Run, and don't walk... to see this one on a big screen! :applause:

GaryGB

peter12213
December 18th, 2009, 15:59
NO NO NO, I deeply hope not!

I would love to see realism like it scenery and graphics wise for future FS but certainly not the aircraft or fairies from the film thats for sure!

MCDesigns
December 18th, 2009, 16:08

I would love to see realism like it scenery and graphics wise for future FS but certainly not the aircraft or fairies from the film thats for sure!

Well that's the beauty of FSX, you have the option to do what you want, regardless of what anyone develops.

If we ever get really good spaceship type flight dynamics, I have tons of projects I want to do, one involves making Stargate Atlantis, already did the puddle jumper, only lacking the airfile.

I'll wait to check out Avatar on DVD since it's getting horrible reviews.

GT182
December 18th, 2009, 16:11
It might take awhile but I'll wait and get it on DVD. That way I can watch it more than once to see what I miss. ;) From what I hear it's going to be a good one. But then again, I'm partial to SiFi movies and books.

Lionheart
December 18th, 2009, 16:12
I intend to go see it. Looks great.

Michael,

Nice shoulder squadron patch! How did you get that?

Any death glider patches?

Bill

MCDesigns
December 18th, 2009, 16:50
I intend to go see it. Looks great.

Michael,

Nice shoulder squadron patch! How did you get that?

Any death glider patches?
Bill

LOL, don't think the Goa'uld were into uniform patches Bill, but I got an F-302 one

At the risk of looking like a sci fi geek, I have a few SG goodies, both real and virtual. :kilroy:

Example
http://www.sg-soc.com/CostumeGuides/SGC%20OD-Sage%20Flightsuit%20&%20Variants.htm

http://patchesnpins.com/stargate%20page.htm

Back to topic, Avatar is getting all kinds of acclaim for it's visuals and effects, but the weak story is what is killing it. I'll probably like it though since I usually disagree witrh critics, LOL

Gdavis101
December 18th, 2009, 17:54

Agreed!

GBrutus
December 18th, 2009, 18:20
Seriously, when was the last time James Cameron made a good film? Titanic has to be one of the worst films ever made. The original Terminator was good but that was 1984...

Lionheart
December 18th, 2009, 19:15
Michael,

Roger that and thanks for the links. I meant the F-302.. arrgh. I couldnt remember if it was the 301, 302, or 303.. Bad me for being an SGC fan and not knowing..

Thanks for the links.

I thought Titanic was awesome.... Incredible movie, from effects to acting. Loved it..

Bill

Piglet
December 18th, 2009, 19:59
If we ever get really good spaceship type flight dynamics, I have tons of projects I want to do

Oh boy, so do I....
The tech and mech in Avatar look cool, but I was never into weird aliens. Maybe I'll go see it, or just get the "making of" book for the hardware.

peter12213
December 18th, 2009, 20:04
Seriously, when was the last time James Cameron made a good film? Titanic has to be one of the worst films ever made. The original Terminator was good but that was 1984...
Agreed he's a nutt case mate, this film looks great but I had the dishonour of sitting through it with my girlfriend and she knows her stuff and even she said its well to be honest "GAY" no offence to anyone but its crap and so are the aircraft, faireis bringing down osprey like insect well heli/jump jet's, god knows what, in our world of Sidewinders and Amraams eurofighters and F-22's, no please I just died I was so going to get some after this film hopefully, but I was so annoyed my girlfriend and I just got drunk and went to bed its was pants!

Dain Arns
December 18th, 2009, 20:45

Well actually he had a hand in "Aliens" too, which was the last great film of that series. So many wonderful, quotable lines...

But yeah,"Titanic", ugh. I was physically dragged into the theater by friends who insisted I see it, (Really, I'm not kidding), although I did immensely enjoy shouting out, "Iceberg right ahead!" at every shot of the ship in the film, even while it was still docked.

And BTW, speaking of good avatars, I like yours, Monica Bellucci. Mmm, Bella!

peter12213
December 18th, 2009, 21:04
LMAO me too hahahaha, and do you know the guy who was shooting people in the lifeboat scene, the actual man was a hero and James Camerons buget had to pay the original mans family a lot of money because he died saving people's lives not shooting them, nor did any person accept weathy Americans and Englishmen carry guns at that time nor were they carried so openly on ship! He's off his rocker Cameron like, big style!

Common Gents Fairies and insect osprey like VTOLS lmao, had to go with my lass tonight I sat bored and commenting on the wrongness of the whole thing .... its crap, so bad infact I'd call it Captians Slows "C**K" !

EURODRIVER
December 18th, 2009, 21:52
Bit harsh I thought it was ok!

peter12213
December 18th, 2009, 22:10
have you seen it though euro? Havent seen you here before so welcome if your new mate lol!

CBris
December 18th, 2009, 22:38
Looks like a film (not) to watch. Just took a look at the film website and I was appalled to see that the "earthlings" are once again portrayed as total grabbing idiots. Didn't we learn anything from the discovery of the new world in 1492... are we still such godsdamned eejits who will "steal everything from those unintelligent native savages" just because we want it.

"Cowboys and Indians" all over again. Plus a touch of "Dances with Wolves" because the hero goes native? A smidgeon of Pocahontas too...

I will go watch it in the hope that the blueskins win of course. And if I was 50 years younger and at a Saturday morning matinee I'd be booing the baddies with the rest of 'em...

I will go to watch it for the effects and the technology and I will want those helicopter things too for FSX.

But I know I will be saddened and angered by the way "we" are portrayed.

Apologies to my friends on the left hand side of the pond, but you don't do yourselves any favours in Hollywood by portraying the moneygrabbing, marauding military types that way. "Marines"?! Huh! I respect real marines.

How is the American "attitude" seen? Ready, Fire, Aim!

You aren't like that - not those of you I have met and befriended. I know this has gone off topic - sorry.

Gdavis101
December 18th, 2009, 22:47
The first time I saw the previews I thought it was a live action Smurf movie... Smurfs on steroids!

warchild
December 18th, 2009, 22:48
screw the fairies and aircraft.. give me the dragons :D :D :D.. gods that would be awesome..

warchild
December 18th, 2009, 22:50
The first time I saw the previews I thought it was a live action Smurf movie... Smurfs on steroids!

Well i'll tell ya.. a smurf like that one female in the previews would definately make me question my upbringing.. Daaammmmnnn...

warchild
December 18th, 2009, 22:54
Looks like a film (not) to watch. Just took a look at the film website and I was appalled to see that the "earthlings" are once again portrayed as total grabbing idiots. Didn't we learn anything from the discovery of the new world in 1492... are we still such godsdamned eejits who will "steal everything from those unintelligent native savages" just because we want it.

"Cowboys and Indians" all over again. Plus a touch of "Dances with Wolves" because the hero goes native? A smidgeon of Pocahontas too...

I will go watch it in the hope that the blueskins win of course. And if I was 50 years younger and at a Saturday morning matinee I'd be booing the baddies with the rest of 'em...

I will go to watch it for the effects and the technology and I will want those helicopter things too for FSX.

But I know I will be saddened and angered by the way "we" are portrayed.

Apologies to my friends on the left hand side of the pond, but you don't do yourselves any favours in Hollywood by portraying the moneygrabbing, marauding military types that way. "Marines"?! Huh! I respect real marines.

How is the American "attitude" seen? Ready, Fire, Aim!

You aren't like that - not those of you I have met and befriended. I know this has gone off topic - sorry.

Sadly Chris, mankind has always been, and most likely will always be a selfish, manipulative, scrounging scavenger. Two legged cockroaches.. When viewed still from the eyes of any other species, we dont look quite as good as we would like to think of ourselves as being..

It's just the nature of mankind..

By the way of it, i respect marines, and grunts and every man and woman lower than a colonels rank who wears a uniform. They're usually not the ones who start the fights. They're only the ones who die in them..

CBris
December 18th, 2009, 22:57
But I can be optimistic can't I? ;)

It's like hoping for speculars on all fsx models :D

warchild
December 19th, 2009, 00:07
:D we all can Chris.. I'd much rather have a smelly dirty body and a good heart, than i would a pristine body and a rotten heart..

harleyman
December 19th, 2009, 00:51
Needless to say I want to see this flick , not for the story but the craft they fly and the computer generated stuff...LOL

Faries are cool, as long as you're swatting them out of the sky...:bump:

Piglet
December 19th, 2009, 01:04
The lame PC-tinged story is also putting me off.
The Hollywood chattering classes love to jump on people about stereotypes, then turn around and do it themselves.
A Dirty Little Secret they don't want you to think about.
One already knows the blue fairies will win over the mean ol' Earthers, so it's almost what's the point?
DVD

warchild
December 19th, 2009, 01:14
yeahhh, but i wanna see it for the flying reptiles: dragons". man wouldnt that be awesome to model ::lol::

dswo
December 19th, 2009, 03:42
The hero of the movie is a marine.
Don't wait for DVD on this one. I'm not saying this because it's a great film; it's not. But it's a big film: what there is to get from it, as a film, is diminished on the small screen.

GaryGB
December 19th, 2009, 07:25
I do enjoy stirring up a bit of controversy now and then ! :icon_lol:

I'm gonna' see it again very soon... this time in IMAX 3-D (bringing my own seat belt too !) :d

I'm not sure whether I'll bring the girlfriend this time either (I might end up having to deal with a case of the "Vertigo Monologues" ! :isadizzy:

GaryGB

Quixoticish
December 19th, 2009, 08:37
The hero of the movie is a marine.
Don't wait for DVD on this one. I'm not saying this because it's a great film; it's not. But it's a big film: what there is to get from it, as a film, is diminished on the small screen.

Exactly, it's exactly what I was expecting from 2012. Amazing CGI and breathtaking visuals but a rubbish and done-to-death plot. (2012 didn't even have amazing CGI but Avatar certainly did).

n4gix
December 19th, 2009, 10:02

Chris, I wrote something similar to your view several weeks ago, albeit not nearly so eloquently...

I may eventually rent the DVD release simply to enjoy the visual effects, it is not one I'd likely watch more than once.

Bjoern
December 19th, 2009, 12:16
If we ever get really good spaceship type flight dynamics, I have tons of projects I want to do

Yep. Especially the reenactment of:
- "Clash Of Titans"
- the Battle Of Hiigara
- Kol class battleships bombarding the planet flanked by Sova carriers and Akkan battlecruisers
- a Rheinland fleet in a hot battle with Kusari

Guess the games and you'll get a beer.

koorby
December 19th, 2009, 13:48
It's an epic masterpiece. No other way to describe this amazing cinematic triumph.

DVD? You're kidding right? I've seen it twice already at my local IMAX in 3D - the only way to truly appreciate the wizardry behind this film.

Guys, don't moralize or politicize this film, or lament Cameron's predictable script - see it for what it is; perhaps the most technically adept 3D integration of live actors, motion capture and rendering we're likely to see for some time. Read Wired Magazine's behind the scenes story - just mind boggling new tech used to make this.

This to me, as a gamer, FS enthusiast and developer, is a masterpiece. In my top 5 films of all time, hands down.

jmig
December 19th, 2009, 14:34
I am not a theater goer. However, I will see this one. Hopefully, I can see it in 3D. IMAX would be awesome. I saw the Polar Express in 3D at an IMAX. Amazing! Totally different from the film in a regular theater.

crashaz
December 19th, 2009, 20:58

Aquaman starring Vinnie Chase. :icon_lol:

Wulf190
December 19th, 2009, 21:23
I saw it today, and to say the least I was impressed. I'd see it again in the cinema, and I don't say that about very many films.

As far as the flying 'stuff'.

I'd take the dragon any day.

jeansy
December 19th, 2009, 21:34
sorry unlike most of you guys i would be really kidding my self i wanted to see it, even on blue ray

ive never been one for fairytale or make believe movies and computer games regardless of how much computer gen is in it or how good the graphics are

even more having to wear a set of 3d glass to watch it, i cant see the enjoyment there?

i have seen anything along those lines since i was around 12, i havent seen the last 3 star wars or that set of movies about a ring or something and ive never watched a star trek show or movie, i havent seen transformers and dont think i will even will, but each to their own

give me a movie like the hangover or bad santa any day with friends or a pixar movie so i can spend time with my younger family members

peter12213
December 20th, 2009, 06:38
Couldn't agree more Jeansy!

MCDesigns
December 20th, 2009, 08:27
but each to their own

Very true Matt. I own all the Star Wars, Stargate series, most Star Trek and most other Sci Fi/ fantasy type movies on DVD, been a fan since the Apollo 11 moon landing in 1969 (I was 4, LOL), but my girlfriend is much like you, doesn't care for Sci fi much at all. Luckily she humors me, much like I humor her in what she enjoys that I don't .

Piglet
December 20th, 2009, 16:22
MC, LOL,
Every time I release a sci-fi/fantisy/concept plane, I always get at least 1 email berading me for "wasting my time making stupid stuff when I should be making their favourite plane" And "how dare you pollute FS with this crap!"
Maybe I will spend 2010 making only sci-fi/ concept stuff...........

fsafranek
December 20th, 2009, 20:24
Aquaman starring Vinnie Chase. :icon_lol:
:ernae:

jeansy
December 20th, 2009, 20:53
Very true Matt. I own all the Star Wars, Stargate series, most Star Trek and most other Sci Fi/ fantasy type movies on DVD, been a fan since the Apollo 11 moon landing in 1969 (I was 4, LOL), but my girlfriend is much like you, doesn't care for Sci fi much at all. Luckily she humors me, much like I humor her in what she enjoys that I don't .

lol the joys of sharing, i normally walk out or go find something to do like sit on the computer and be a nerd for a hour or two painting

saldy i never got a choice when it came to the titanic, i was pre warned if i slept thru it or walked out or pissed her off while the movie was on, that there was no chance of me allowed in that night or the next few

MC, LOL,
Every time I release a sci-fi/fantisy/concept plane, I always get at least 1 email berading me for "wasting my time making stupid stuff when I should be making their favourite plane" And "how dare you pollute FS with this crap!"

Pig

this is where i dont understand people, i have no idea what your sci fi stuff is but hey your not forcing me to download it and fly it

sometimes people take this game, hobby or simulator a little to seriously

jymp
December 22nd, 2009, 13:26
James Cameron = Liberal nutcase, Titanic sucked big time, Avatar will also, typical liberal nutcase film, you'll be able to find it in the dollar bin in about 2 yrs.

Lionheart
December 22nd, 2009, 13:40
Originally Posted by Piglet
MC, LOL,

woooo hoooooo!

Me too, lol... Stress levels in this area can get high. It would be fun to do some major sci fi models..

Tim, you should check out X3TC.. I am addicted to that dang game. You can install Gmax models into the game. Lets see, you have a Star Destroyer and a Y-Wing you could put in there so far. The landing bay in the SD can be activated to actually be a working hanger in the SD and assign fighters to land in it. The game has warp, hyper jumps, dog fighting..

Makes for a good change of pace..

Bill

CBris
December 22nd, 2009, 13:44
Some people just never grew up with Isaac Asimov, Heinlein, and co...

Kubrik was a good cinematographer in the Genre (2001 and the moon landings :monkies:)

There'll always be folk who don't understand Sci Fi but prefer Voltaire and Homer. Personally Iliad did nothing for me - no action, no drama, no suspense. War and Peace? Tolstoy schmolstoy... Give me four elephants and a space turtle any day.

But I will agree with other critics about the story line - I even read a review today that shared my "Dances with wolves" and "Pocahontas" comments of a few days ago... So who's the film critic who plagiarised my comments then?

Methinks the Sci Fi aspect will be better than the storyline... so I will go see it in the cinema probably.

spotlope
December 22nd, 2009, 14:00
James Cameron = Liberal nutcase, Titanic sucked big time, Avatar will also, typical liberal nutcase film, you'll be able to find it in the dollar bin in about 2 yrs.

How about if you cool it with the liberal nutcase stuff? It's one thing to talk about a film's merits regarding flight, but this isn't a political forum and you're skirting dangerously close to political territory. I work very hard to keep my non-flight ideas out of this forum. I'd just appreciate reciprocation.

MCDesigns
December 22nd, 2009, 14:20

I agree with Bill, let's keep the labeling with political terms for another forum. As for your "opinion" on both films, duly noted.

My "opinion, I loved Titanic, have it on DVD and will probably like this also since I am into Sc Fi.

Now on to facts, Avatars first weekend has grossed $232.2 million worldwide, so I guess it doesn't suck that much.

Titanic's budget was 220 million and to date has grossed $1,848,813,795 worldwide, guess it didn't suck that much either.

Piglet, I am all for 2010 to be the year of Sci Fi in FSX, LOL.

Quixoticish
December 22nd, 2009, 15:42
I agree with Bill, let's keep the labeling with political terms for another forum. As for your "opinion" on both films, duly noted.

My "opinion, I loved Titanic, have it on DVD and will probably like this also since I am into Sc Fi.

Now on to facts, Avatars first weekend has grossed $232.2 million worldwide, so I guess it doesn't suck that much.

Titanic's budget was 220 million and to date has grossed $1,848,813,795 worldwide, guess it didn't suck that much either.

Piglet, I am all for 2010 to be the year of Sci Fi in FSX, LOL.

2012 made $225 million in its opening weekend worldwide and it was absolutely atrocious with no artistic merit whatsoever.

noshadez
December 22nd, 2009, 17:32
I have not seen the movie except for commercials of it.. It looks cool but I would rather see movies that depict either non fiction or close to it with real people..If I went to see it I would only be distracted by what 3ds max tool or material or animation was used on everything.. If I wanted play a first person game I would rather buy one and play it on my PC than go watch a movie of one... We could of had at least 5 top grossing movies about our heros fighting the terrorist by now.. We did get one (The hurt locker) and its great..but thats all there is.. the rest is live in lala land make it up fantasy.. I think that is where flight sim comes in.. most folks are older that use it and want on this planet simulation with current aircraft/spacecraft or potential of the same.. A movie no matter what it makes is not going to get Boeing or N-Grumman to go off on a movie fad and try to make these fantasy aircraft anyway.. the offspray is it for a looong time:pop4:

Bjoern
December 22nd, 2009, 17:46
2012 made $225 million in its opening weekend worldwide and it was absolutely atrocious with no artistic merit whatsoever.

Well, people simply love "eyes on, brains off" stuff. Makes life a bit easier.

See everything produced by Michael Bay. Substance? Nay!

jymp
December 23rd, 2009, 02:08
Right on cue....

DennyA
December 23rd, 2009, 13:05
Avatar was AMAZING. The Na'vi (natives) had a bit of a CGI feel to them, but the scenery was stunning. The story was just okay -- "Dances with Wolves" in space -- but the experience was a blast. You've never seen CGI like this -- you felt like you were there.

And the aerial combat, as the original poster said, was really exciting and very well done. The VTOL craft in this do look like something you'd see 50 years from now.
Watching it on DVD or Blu-ray's not going to be the same. We saw it in IMAX 3D and it was incredibly immersive. On the little screen on DVD, it's not going to have that effect.
As for the anti-Cameron sentiment here, you guys should learn to lighten up and have some fun. :)

PS: Tim, I've loved every one of your sci-fi craft. Your Starfighter is the only good thing to come out of Star Wars: Episode 1. :)