PDA

View Full Version : Airbus A-300 and A-321 rudder systems

PRB
December 17th, 2009, 15:50
When I first flew the A-321 in FSX, I didn't understand why the rudder pedals seemed to have no effect of the plane. It was very difficult to control this way, and almost impossible to land. Then, after some questions here and some Googling, I found the culprit. Above the pilot, the FLT CTRL panel has a push button labeled SEC1 which, if turned off, allows the rudders to work. There are two other flight control related push buttons on that panel, and above the co-pilot's head there is another FLT CTRL panel, with a SEC2 and a SEC3 push button. I haven't tried these yet. I do know that turning off SEC1 above the pilot “enables” the rudders.

I'm betting this has something to do with an electronic “fly-by wire” FCS, but this can't be how the real airplane works. It's as though turning off SEC1 simulates the deactivation of the automatic coordination of the control surfaces, and places it in a manual mode of some sort. But even in “auto” mode, or whatever it's called, the pilot should be able to turn the airplane in a coordinated manner, even if the FCS does it for him. In the FSX A-321, leaving that system “on” appears to simply disable the rudder completely.

The other thing I'm wondering is if this system was added to the Airbus fleet after the accident of November 12, 2001, in which an American Airlines A-300 crashed over New York City after the tail broke off, apparently as a result of the co-pilot “walking” the rudder pedals too aggressively while trying to keep the ship under control after flying through some 747 wake turbulence. This was an “interesting” (if that's the right word) accident because “common sense” would tell us “office pilots” that the rudder should stay on, even if the co-pilot stomps on the pedals a couple of times. But as is so often the case, “common sense” is apparently wrong, and this issue is not limited to Airbusses. The issue, I'm told, wasn't simply that the pilot “pushed too hard” on the pedals, but it was the repeated back and forth with the pedals at maximum deflection, which set up an oscillation of the tail that over stressed it. I'm also told that the KC-135 has a warning about doing that very thing, and for the same reason. This I don't know, and maybe some KC-135 gurus can confirm or deny this.

deathfromafar
December 17th, 2009, 17:28
PRB, the A320 series Airbus Fly-by-Wire FCS does auto coordinate the rudders. This was the way that FCS was designed from the outset. On the real plane you can affect the rudders by moving the pedals at any time. In normal flight ops, all the pilot has to do to manually fly the plane is move the stick. If you pitch up the plane will hold where you put it without the need to hold back pressure. likewise with banking and turning. In a level turn, you simply move the stick to set the bank angle and from their the plane auto coordinates the turn. No trimming or adjustment is needed. The other part is that the autopilot also trims the plane for conditions which is nice for when the pilot assumes manual control on approach or any other phase of the flight, the plane is in trim. The stock FSX A321 FCS isn't accurate at all. If you try the Wilco/Feelthere product I think you will find it much more to your liking. More than one Airbus Captain and FO have told me that one is fairly close to the real FCS and Safety Limiters.

DaveKDEN
December 17th, 2009, 17:53
All flight control computers are left on all the time during normal operations on the A320 series (and A330, A340, A380, etc). Depressing the rudder pedals will move the rudder a corresponding amount. However, normally only minimal rudder would be used in flight (if any at all). The main exception being on landing with a crosswind. You end up taking out the crosswind crab with rudder input as you flare out for touchdown.

deathfromafar
December 17th, 2009, 19:05
All flight control computers are left on all the time during normal operations on the A320 series (and A330, A340, A380, etc). Depressing the rudder pedals will move the rudder a corresponding amount. However, normally only minimal rudder would be used in flight (if any at all). The main exception being on landing with a crosswind. You end up taking out the crosswind crab with rudder input as you flare out for touchdown.

That is correct. The later Airbus variants FCS has limiters to prevent over deflection of the control surfaces. When the normal flight FCS Control Laws are in effect, the FCS computers interpret what inputs the pilot makes and then sends the commands to the control surfaces. During takeoff and landing(under 80 ft agl) the FCS goes into Pure Control Law which the normal FCS Control Law is bypassed. The Airbus also has fairly tight crosswind restrictions as well as altitude density restrictions.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

viking3
December 17th, 2009, 19:33
I can't remember exact numbers but the rudder is limited to something in the order of 10 degrees of travel at cruise speed and at landing something like 60 degrees of travel. The rudder travel limiter in the tail is fed data from the FCS system to limit the forces applied to the airframe. As was stated above most hand flying is done with the stick only and the only time the pilots feet are on the rudder pedals is for take-offs and landings.
I sure miss playing with the 'Bus'. An avionics tech's dream plane. When I joined Air Canada in 1990 they were just coming online. I worked on some of the first "A" checks when everything was new to everybody. Talk about a learning experience! All of a sudden Avionics Techs had some respect from the greasy paw crowd:173go1:. It truly is a great aircraft and is probably the reason, along with the B767, that Air Canada is still in business.

CBris
December 18th, 2009, 07:06
Besides - the A300 / 310's were "real fly by wire" - stranded cable that is, and not electrickery.