PDA

View Full Version : NAS Whidbey download at Simviation, but.....

Navy Chief
December 15th, 2009, 12:40
Ok, I just downloaded/installed a NAS Whidbey Island scenery mod off of Simviation a few minutes ago.

Let me say I applaud the efforts of David Tokar, who created the mod. But I have a question for you scenery creators out there.

Would it be a daunting task to convert/redo John Stinstrom's FS9 version of NAS Whidbey Island for FSX?

Although David has made a valiant effort, I have hoped for J. Stinstrom's version to be fixed so it would work in FSX. The hangars, buildings, literally everything in his version are spot on. Even down to the Line Division shack location that I ran for VQ-1

NC

NoNewMessages
December 15th, 2009, 14:21
Not familiar with the scenery, but a lot of time it's things like trees and such that don't carry forward very well. Those can be excluded out, but might take sometime if there are many. Just depends upon the scenery itself and the time involved, but most things can be "fixed" to some degree.

Naismith
December 15th, 2009, 15:35
There is an update (still for FS9) by a Ray Lunning filename knuw4ut.zip at flightsim.com perhaps he is the man who would know how to go about the update to FSX.

Navy Chief
December 15th, 2009, 15:47
Thank you both for your suggestions.

I also emailed John Stinstrom. Haven't had contact with him for a long time though.

NC

Naismith
December 15th, 2009, 22:42
I thought I would give the scenery a try in FSX and it seems to my eye not too bad. 1 or 2 minor glitches and the runway 7 threshold appears wrong compared to Google Earth, but otherwise not too bad. Files used are wb_knuw1.zip wb_knuw2.zip wb_knuw3.zip and knuw4ut.zip. Personally I don't know the airfield but I was not disappointed. Attached are a few snaps.

Navy Chief
December 16th, 2009, 01:16
Looking great, Naismith! The hangars are not as detailed as Jim D's., but the placement of them is as I remember. Add P-3 and A-6 AI static aircraft on the flight line, and that's it!

NC

MCDesigns
December 16th, 2009, 02:31
Interesting thread. In my SBuilderX travels looking for high res sat data for projects, Whidbey is one that has great data and I have it working in FSX. If the above scenery is John Stinstrom's, I'll see if I can get ahold of him and maybe we can combine his scenery with the photoreal.

Navy Chief
December 16th, 2009, 02:37
Interesting thread. In my SBuilderX travels looking for high res sat data for projects, Whidbey is one that has great data and I have it working in FSX. If the above scenery is John Stinstrom's, I'll see if I can get ahold of him and maybe we can combine his scenery with the photoreal.

Now you're talkin'!

Thanks, Michael!!!! Thank you so very much!

I do have John's email address, although not sure if it is still valid.

NC