PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Huub and other Fokker D.VII enthusists

Cazzie
October 30th, 2008, 10:03
Huub, I love your Lozenge camouflage! :applause:

And to all those that have downloaded my textures for Ltn. Arthur Laumann, I am uploading an entire new set.

Upon downloading and flying Huub's repaint for Jasta 57, I noted his rib tape and how much cleaner his wheel looked than mine. Whenever I get a repaint from Huub or Mike Wilson, I open those suckers in DXTBitmap and carry them over to Photoshop for further observation. I learn much about repaints from great painters like you fellows. :applause::ernae:

Anyhow Huub, I have also noticed that using your textures in the size present, though fine for the wings in accordance with reference, the size is not uniform in the fuselage, horizontal and vertical tails, landing gear wing, and wheel hubs (if present). I resized your textures to three different sizes (default and two others) and redid the fuselage, horizontal and vertical tails, and wheel wings to more properly show all lozenge as near as possible to scale effect all over. I found the diagram which shows how the Lozenge fabric was applied to the wings, tails, and gear wing, and I followed that.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/lozenge_diagram.jpg

Thanks again Huub for the template to make my rib tape (blue top, pink under). I also redid the fuselage yellow stripe and painted it underneath as it appears so in reference. The top of the forward upper cowling was also painted in German WWI standard Dark Olive and the forward Yellow fuselage sides were corrected. So being the perfectionist I try to be, I have now tried to present a repaint as close to the original as I can get for my feeble so to be retired 62 year-old hands and brain.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/laumann_10.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/laumann_9.jpg

Whoa, wait a minute, who's that ol' one-eye varlet flyin' Stuart's airplane?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/cazmodel/oloneeye_2.jpg

Don't worry, he won't be flying your Laumann's! :d As before, I included Bob's propwash (thank-ee much Bob) for those that may not have downloaded the first set of textures. For those that have, there will be no need to change the aircraft.cfg, merely replace the five textures in the zip. A choice of 888-8 32-bit or DXT3 textures are enclosed, except Bob's propwash, which must remain 888-8 32-bit. You need not overwrite Bob's propwash shuld you already have it, but it is included for first-time downloaders.

Thanks many times over Stuart for this classic, it lives on, as does FS9 and GW3. :medals:

Caz, going on a very cold and windy bike ride.

brad kaste
October 30th, 2008, 10:41
Cazzie,...the chap flying the Fokker D-VII looks suspiciously like a young Hermann Goring. Without the added poundage. Is it?:costumes:

huub vink
October 31st, 2008, 13:08
Thanks for sharing your research Cazzie. I will definitely take a (very) close look at you latest textures and the diagrams you posted.

When you look at the textures from the DVII of the "German museum", which I did a while ago, you will see I use different sizes as well. The "wheel wing" has the lozenge pattern reduce to 50%. The elevator has the pattern reduced to 66%. I have reduced the size from the pattern on the fuselage to 80%, but went back to the full size as "it didn't look right". I guess I will reduce the pattern again to 80% on my next repaint.

It is pity none of us is old enough to remember how the pattern really looked :costumes:. As always there is not much information and most of the information is not fully in line with the other information! :isadizzy:

The Baron von Blutwurst already mentioned that the fabric on the ailerons a was (most likely) applied in a 90 degree angle with the pattern on the wings. Now I see on your textures you have changed the pattern on the elevators as well. Are you sure this is correct? As according to "windsock datafile Fokker D-VII Anthology 3" the pattern should be in the same direction as in the main wings. Also the way the pattern is applied on the main wings is slightly different from the way it should be applied according to your diagrams :banghead:. Although I think the pattern you applied looks very good and perhaps the most logical.

An other question is what do you think about the colour form the bottom of the fuselage? According to some profiles it should be in the "under surface colour lozenge". However according to most drawings there is only one seam, which can be found in the middle of the bottom of the fuselage :confused:. I haven't been able to find a single picture which make this clear :isadizzy:.

I'm afraid I couldn't find any picture good enough to find out which pattern is the correct one! As the D VII was produced by 3 different factories in at least 6 different version, it is perhaps impossible to find the correct version.......

Below a picture form the original aircraft.

Regards,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Sanke670_Laumann.jpg

mustang51
October 31st, 2008, 13:40
Where can I get this Fokker and the paint job? Here at SOH?
Bob

Willy
October 31st, 2008, 14:32
Yep, look under Cazzie's and Huub's names for the best Fokker D.VII paints around!

Thanks again for 'em guys! :ernae:

huub vink
November 1st, 2008, 07:31
Bob, the model you need to put our textures on can be found here:
http://www.domicilium.com/peveril/hangar/planes/Fokker.htm

Cheers,
Huub

mustang51
November 1st, 2008, 07:56
Thanks guys....Bob

Cazzie
November 1st, 2008, 09:28
Thanks for that phot0 Huub. I am going back and resizing the 18 to a smaller font size. :ernae:

Caz

huub vink
November 1st, 2008, 09:40
Cazzie,

Can I use your lozenge pattern as basis for my next repaints? I want to do some repaints with the standard AOW four colour lozenge scheme as the base.
Your pattern would be very useful for these!

Huub

Cazzie
November 1st, 2008, 10:44
Sure Huub, the Eduard instructions are the same as shown in the Albatros anthology. But Albatros keeps strong copyright over reproduction of there work, which though I could not do without, I do not scan and post on a public forum. I find to do it correctly, you need to rotate your texture 90° CW, then Select all > Copy. After that, make some guide lines and using the Polygonal Lasso Tool, Select one section at a time and click Paste Into. Use the Move Tool to position the Lozenge. Do the same with each section. Note that the center-line in the upper wing need not be aligned. For the horizontal tail to be correct, mark a center-line and Select one half of the wing at a time and click Paste Into.

Caz

huub vink
November 1st, 2008, 12:01
Thanks Caz, I hope I can figger out what you have done :costumes:.

No weather for cycling so it is time to start someting new again :d

Huub

Cazzie
November 1st, 2008, 15:26
Thanks Caz, I hope I can figger out what you have done :costumes:.

No weather for cycling so it is time to start someting new again :d

Huub

We've had Indian Summer for the past three days (highs in the low 79s (F), but I could not cycle today because I had to take my son to a HS Band competition. The won so many awards including 1st place for A-level (small HS). I rode 15 miles yesterday and 21 miles Thursday. But the cold and wind are returning. The cold will not stop me, unless it is in the 20s (F). But if that wind is anywhere out of the north and 10 to 20 knot gusts, uh-uh, I'll do what you'll be doing. :d

Caz

huub vink
November 2nd, 2008, 01:18
Wind is never a problem for me. I leave very near to the coast in a very flat country, so there is always wind :d. Weird enough I don't mind rain when I'm cycling, I only hate it when it rains before my departure :confused:. Normally this is a reason for me to cancel my cycling trip :redf:.

Today is lovely weather again, only the roads were a bit wet when I cycled to work this morning. I'm afraid I have to write my (fire prevention) comments on a "Feasibily study" before tomorrow morning, so work-load won't permit any further cycling apart from the few miles I need to cycle to get home again. :banghead:

And now I really need to go back to work again :costumes:

Huub