PDA

View Full Version : Loading screen hangs on exit

wsmwsm
December 13th, 2009, 06:52
Frequently (but not always), after quitting CFS2, the loading screen remains on my desktop. (Depiction of two aircraft with the words "Loading. . .please wait.") I've checked the task manager and CFS2 is not running at that point. The only way to remove it is to restart the computer.

Is there a way to correct this? Any help would be great.

Donald Piper
December 13th, 2009, 20:24
When you have the 'task manager ' up high lite the line with "CFS2 not responding" on it and drop down and hit "end task". This should end the program and return you to the screen you had when you started the game. You really should not have to kill the computer and spend the time restarting again - I hope this helps. I bet I do this at least once a week, don

wsmwsm
December 14th, 2009, 02:45
The task manager doesn't show CFS2 running. I exited properly and without any problem. That's the issue.

Devildog73
December 14th, 2009, 06:23
In task manager, switch to the processes tab and then double click on the memory usage tab. There is something in the background using up your RAM. It is a visual hang, not a program running hang.

How much video RAM do you have and how much does your vid card share with your CPU?

The only way I know to correct it is to shut down unneeded background programs or increase your RAM, both system and vid card.

bearcat241
December 14th, 2009, 07:48
We don't know anything about your system configurations (always a benefit to share that when asking for assistance), but my guess is you're running XP with a desktop resolution of 800x600 and your general sim screen resolution is at 800x600. But here's the thing, no matter what resolution you choose in CFS2 Hardware Settings for general sim play, the sim will always automatically load all screens in 800x600. So if your desktop res is 800x600 and your sim res is 800x600 and your screens are loading at 800x600, there's no need for your OS to refresh the desktop automatically after unloading the sim. And sometimes depending on specific system settings your system will retain program dll's in memory even after exiting the programs, in your case those that control the CFS2 screens.

What you should do is change your desktop res to 1024x768 (the next step higher) and do the same for your general sim play. This will force the desktop to refresh automatically and dump the 800x600 screens after unloading the sim on exit. There are system tweak programs that allow you to change system settings in the registry, like unloading all dll's after program exits, but you can look into that also later if the resolutions tip doesn't work.

wsmwsm
December 14th, 2009, 09:32
Here's the info.
Gateway Athlon 64x2 Dual Process 600+3.0 GHZ, 32-bit. Vista OS. Not quite sure how to measure RAM other than looking at the sytem information window which reads 2.00GB.

It's not the desktop resolution. My desktop resolution is 1680x1050. My in game resolution is 1680x1050x16.

This has only started to happen recently after running CFS2 for years without a hitch.

Thanks.

bearcat241
December 14th, 2009, 10:39
Not quite sure how to measure RAM other than looking at the sytem information window which reads 2.00GB.

Short of using other third-party tools, that's a good way to measure virtually. But a good visual check wouldn't hurt either, if in doubt. Just crack open the case and pull out the memory modules for a MarkII inspection. This could also be a symptomatic heads-up to a weakening memory module. Replace any one of the existing modules with a one new module, same specs as your current modules. If the problem persists, replace the other module with the new one. If it stops, then that particular module was the culprit.

BTW, when did you last defrag your hard drive? What are the specs on your graphics card and the most recent driver update?

It's not the desktop resolution. My desktop resolution is 1680x1050. My in game resolution is 1680x1050x16.

Then your desktop is likely 1680x1050x32bit, while your sim is 1680x1050x16bit -- a difference in color quality