PDA

View Full Version : Back to BC

falcon409
December 12th, 2009, 22:29
I found an interesting airport in BC and as if I didn't have enough grief with SBuilderX lately, I thought I'd dive into yet another, lol.

The image needs a lot of yellow removed, lol, ya think? Some tweaking along the shoreline where the blur got too blurry and an elevation problem in that narrow straite between the two land areas, not sure where that's coming from.

I happened to flying out of Marvin's Gulf Island Research base and came across this one and it looked inviting, lol. As you can see from the map, it's not all that far from the base (38nm NNE I believe). Just another WIP.

Lotus
December 12th, 2009, 22:43
Looks great! I have so many fond memories flying into Fort Langley. Did the first half of my PPL training at Boundary Bay in Cherokee 140s and that little grass strip is a favourite for short/soft field practice. Eastern departures are interesting too, have to fly between a pair of near 200 foot tall douglas firs. Ended up having to do doughnuts at the end of the runway there once too, waiting for another plane to land and clear. Was raining cats and dogs and stopping a Cherokee on that field means you'll have to get out and push it in short order hehe, total mudfest. :)

I feel really bad for the farm owner at the west end of the runway though. Every approach you feel like you're going to take his head off with the prop about 30 feet short of the threshold. I never once saw him look up though, so either he's incredibly brave by now or sadly very deaf I think.

Good times.

-Mike

falcon409
December 12th, 2009, 22:59
Looks great! I have so many fond memories flying into Fort Langley. Did the first half of my PPL training at Boundary Bay in Cherokee 140s and that little grass strip is a favorite for short/soft field practice. Eastern departures are interesting too, have to fly between a pair of near 200 foot tall douglas firs. Ended up having to do doughnuts at the end of the runway there once too, waiting for another plane to land and clear. Was raining cats and dogs and stopping a Cherokee on that field means you'll have to get out and push it in short order hehe, total mudfest. :)

I feel really bad for the farm owner at the west end of the runway though. Every approach you feel like you're going to take his head off with the prop about 30 feet short of the threshold. I never once saw him look up though, so either he's incredibly brave by now or sadly very deaf I think.

Good times.

-Mike
Mike, you're just the one to ask then, the image shows that the east half of the rwy is closed, is that as you remember it? Also, I assume from what you say that the other section is all grass then?

I'll make sure I put those two pine trees in there with your assistance in placing them correctly, I wouldn't want you to be disappointed if they're not there, lol.

Lotus
December 12th, 2009, 23:05
Well it's been many many years now since I've been out that way, last time I landed there was in 2003, so I'm not a good one to ask for up to date reference material. As I remember it though, about 100 feet past the east end of the threshold/apron there was a group of very large douglas fir trees off to the left (right next to the river), and another on the right, very close to the runway centerline. You basically had to turn left about 10 degrees immediately after getting airborne to pass between the tops of them. A C172 could clear them with a light load, but a Cherokee 140 couldn't clear a fence on a good day really. Gutless wonders, but loved them anyway. :)

It does look as if the layout has changed a bit, I don't remember there being much pavement at the east end, just the apron really, but as I said, was a good many years ago. I moved to San Fran in 2004 for a few years and finished my training there.

-Mike

falcon409
December 13th, 2009, 18:37
An update for Ft. Langley:
of all the spots I could have chosen, I had to go for one that already had an elevation problem (notice the variation in water level?) and I added to that by making the flatten even higher, lol. This will definitely be a WIP and I expect to learn more about adjusting elevations than I ever wanted to know, lol.

Additional Image: I added this one after placing some of the scenery objects. If I can get the elevation problem figured out it will be one of my favorites. Really like the way it's looking right now.

ryanbatc
December 14th, 2009, 11:41
I love your little airports. One thing that's come up at a few are some stutters. I think it's from the static airplane scenery thats included. You notice it when the planes load (like you are approaching the airport etc). Other than that your airports are my favorite to fly in to and out of.

Thanks

falcon409
December 14th, 2009, 12:07
I love your little airports. One thing that's come up at a few are some stutters. I think it's from the static airplane scenery thats included. You notice it when the planes load (like you are approaching the airport etc). Other than that your airports are my favorite to fly in to and out of. Thanks
Yea, I need to make a note of that actually as I had decided (and then didn't) to make the static aircraft a separate bgl file. That way if someone had a problem with stuttering they could simply delete/move the bgl.

Good point Ryan.:salute:

ryanbatc
December 14th, 2009, 12:46
Thanks for considering that. In the mean time, I've made an Excel spreadsheet of your photoreal airports. I'm probably missing a bunch. But I just browsed the SOH dl site and looked at the latest ones. The info is compiled from Sky Vector - so it's possible some of the data is incorrect on my sheets.

As a side note, your Devil's Hopyard scenery is not in the SoH library. And I can't download it from that link in your original post either. Box.net said something about "user doesnt have sharing enabled." etc etc

Anyway, my excel sheet is availabe for DL here:
http://cid-408ca931940d5e3c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Falcon409arpts.xls

Please let me know which photoreal ones I missed and anyone please comment, if I should add a category etc.

Thanks!