PDA

View Full Version : Correct me if I'm wrong...

Ettico
December 12th, 2009, 12:47
...before I go to all the trouble of finding out the hard way myself...

Isn't is possible to have more than 8 ships in a task force, by simply addiing additional ships to the "mission" file?

I know this entails adding formation coordinates and ship names.

I know this also entails a lot of renumbering.

I just want to verify that it is possible and does work, before I waste a lot of time fooling with it.

I'm thinking, why have a measly TF with maybe 2 poorly-protected carriers in it, when I could have a big TF with maybe 4 well-protected carriers in it. :d

I've run into a DCG-imposed 34-aircraft squadron limit in carrier ops, but that's enough for up to 4 big carriers and 4 light carriers in a mission.

I'm thinking, starting with a regular 8-ship TF with all big ships, and then adding a ring of 8 destroyers by editing the 'mission" file would do the trick.

Devildog73
December 12th, 2009, 13:31
Can't help ya with the DCG missions.

In the regular old mission builder, I have put a lot of ships into a TF and had no problems, even with frame rates.

Ask Rami, I put LOTS of ships on the water in some missions.

Talon
December 12th, 2009, 14:48
Ettico

My late war Task Group generlly have 25 to 30 ships in them so yes it's possible. Carriers in the middle ringed with BB's,than Cruiisers and than DD's.

Talon

Cody Coyote
December 12th, 2009, 17:15
I don't know of a limit. When I wrote the Mission Building Handbook I experimented with task forces in excess of 100 ships just to see if could be done.

Eight is the limit of planes that you can add to a flight using Mission Builder. However, you can increase that number as well through handediting. I had an old post on that topic where I think I showed a flight of 32 bombers.

Ettico
December 12th, 2009, 22:22
Thanks, guys. I thought there had been some discussion about this in the forum.

Since posting the question, I've decided it wouldn't work with DCG. I'm pretty sure adding units and renumbering units in the "Mission" file would cause conflicts with the "Mission.dyn" file.

I've already written some code to synchronize task forces by synchronizinng their waypoint numbers before generating a mission. This, combined with designing the TF routes with their corresponding waypoints only a couple of miles apart, can cause large groups of ships to form in a DCG mission. But DCG has a mind of it's own in that regard. It doesn't always religiously go by the initial waypoint numbers. Synchronization is still useful in the sense that it causes TF's to move in a more or less synchronized manner. But they might be 1 or 2 waypoints apart - which could be up to 80 miles - still close enough together for a loosely coordinated attack, but not exactly what I had in mind.