View Full Version : Trackir 4 or 5

doublecool
December 9th, 2009, 13:40
For Christmas the "trackir" is what I would like to get :santahat:

Questions looking on line
5 $160.00
4 $120.00

Pros cons

and do I need any thing else with it ...tackir proclip?

I went looking for a review on 5 but no luck
reviews on four say "a must have"

any input would be most helpful:kilroy:

Thanks

JamesChams
December 9th, 2009, 13:50
Mr. "doublecool,"

I HIGHLY suggest the added Pro Clip. Otherwise, you'll be wearing a silly hat with reflectors along with your headset/mic and anything else you "must" wear.

I've used the 5 software on TrackIR4 and it was a little "buggy." The version 5.1 update is suppose to fix that. Other than that some people have stated on forums that they didn't like the newer interface; but I think it's intended to be more versitle and frankly "cooler" looking; something you might appreciate being "doublecool." :bump:

Also, I like (very much) the TrackIR 4 with Pro Clip... I bought it when it first came out and works very well without many issues, for the most part. But, the TrackIR 5 is newer with some improvements. So, if you've got the extra $ then, why not? If not, the TrackIR 4 with Pro Clip is all you'll need or want.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas! :wavey:

MarkH
December 9th, 2009, 15:09
TrackIR 4 here with no problems. I'm sure v5 s better - wider field of view for one, but 4 works good enough for now. Pro clip - waste of money for me. Needs wires and means you need to wear a headset. The hat clip works great if you keep the ambient light low.

ryanbatc
December 9th, 2009, 15:32
Unless you HATE wearing hats.....

I do most of my flying with a headset anyway - vatsim

djscoo
December 9th, 2009, 15:34
I have the "5" hardware, but I use the "4" software...as for trackclip, I don't use headphones or a mic so wearing a hat is fine for me. Just make sure you lock your door and pull the blinds so no one can see you and your goofy antennae :icon_lol:

Kiwikat
December 9th, 2009, 15:35
Grab 4 and the clip and you'll be set.

GT182
December 9th, 2009, 15:42
I've got the Tracker 4Pro and using the v5 software. Works fine for me. No clip here just the NaturalPoint hat and the needed hat clip. There was a discount at one time if you are a member of SOH, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

No matter which one you buy you will not regret it. It's the only Natural way to fly .

ryanbatc
December 9th, 2009, 16:01
Grab 4 and the clip and you'll be set.

OT: but what lens are you using kiwi for your pictures in your album? I was looking at the Canon EF 24-105 f4L but it is very pricey. My camera is the Rebel XTi

Kiwikat
December 9th, 2009, 16:06
OT: but what lens are you using kiwi for your pictures in your album? I was looking at the Canon EF 24-105 f4L but it is very pricey. My camera is the Rebel XTi

Haha just the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS for most. Some of the EAA ones were with my friend's 28-135 IS. I would LOVE the 24-105, but for a little less money I can get the 100mm L macro. When I get that macro lens, it will never come off my camera. :icon_lol:

Though you can get a 24-105 in nm condition used for around 850-900 on most photography forums. I'd rather spend the 1000 and get the L macro new. A new 24-105 is now like 1200 bucks. Canon needs to stop raising their prices. :isadizzy:

Unless you have a UWA as well, the 24-105 will be too long on the short end for a general purpose lens (at least for an APS-C camera like the rebels). If you have the 10-22 EF-S or 12-24 Tokina, it would be a good fit.

CODY
December 9th, 2009, 16:22
My 2 cent's....
http://www.gogamer.com/NaturalPoint-TrackIR-5-with-Rise-of-Flight-Bundle--FREE-SHIPPING--Front-Page_stcVVproductId76591237VVcatId444710VVviewprod .htm

I have left all kinds of hints around the house!

Jeff

Dain Arns
December 9th, 2009, 17:24
Hat works just fine and it's not that goofy looking. Of course I wouldn't be caught dead outside of the "Sim Room" with it on. :icon_lol:

I can't stand headsets. :mixedsmi:

ryanbatc
December 9th, 2009, 19:06
Unless you have a UWA as well, the 24-105 will be too long on the short end for a general purpose lens (at least for an APS-C camera like the rebels). If you have the 10-22 EF-S or 12-24 Tokina, it would be a good fit.

So far I have the kit lens (POS 18-55mm) and when I first got the cam I bought a Tamron 70-300mm. That is a decent lens for airplane photography. So really the 24-105mm would be perfect for me, it would replace that nasty 18-55.... Is there really that much difference between 18/24 mm?

dennison
December 9th, 2009, 22:09
For nothing you could try "Freetrack" the programe is free, you just need three diodes three resistors and a webcam.

Check it out,type freetrack into youtube search.

http://www.free-track.net/english/

I have it working well in FSX with win7 64.

Kiwikat
December 9th, 2009, 23:39
Is there really that much difference between 18/24 mm?

It is considerable if you shoot any buildings or landscapes. If you go for the 24-105, you'll end up wanting a UWA to go with it. That is my plan... sometime when I have money. :mixedsmi:

If you dislike the 18-55 maybe you should try the 17-50 f/2.8 from Tamron. I guess it depends on whether you plan on keeping that 70-300 for very long. Eventually I WILL get my hands on a 100-400 L. In fact I'd probably be happier if I saved for that instead of the 100 Macro. However, I don't think I have that kind of patience. :pop4:

jimjones
December 10th, 2009, 01:16
I use the open top hat. Really looks funny but no one else is around to see. Bought Track IR-4 before 5 was available and it works great. Now use the 5 software which is compatible and prefer the 5 software interface. Much is shown on the opening screen in a dark gray background. Paricularly like the head views and the view which shows the response to head movements in a celestial type view with degrees of view indicated vertically and horizontally. Esp good for intial adjustment of your reflectors on your hat or mike.

kilo delta
December 10th, 2009, 01:37
I'm using Track IR 4 Pro too....have the clip too but rarely use it. Answering the front door with my hat on has been an embarrassment on a few occasions,however :kilroy::monkies: :bump:

doublecool
December 10th, 2009, 14:43
Thanks everyone

"My 2 cent's....
http://www.gogamer.com/NaturalPoint-...VVviewprod.htm (http://www.gogamer.com/NaturalPoint-TrackIR-5-with-Rise-of-Flight-Bundle--FREE-SHIPPING--Front-Page_stcVVproductId76591237VVcatId444710VVviewprod .htm)

Jeff "

Nice :applause:

Two for the price of one is doublecool

kilo delta
December 10th, 2009, 14:50
Thanks everyone

"My 2 cent's....
http://www.gogamer.com/NaturalPoint-...VVviewprod.htm (http://www.gogamer.com/NaturalPoint-TrackIR-5-with-Rise-of-Flight-Bundle--FREE-SHIPPING--Front-Page_stcVVproductId76591237VVcatId444710VVviewprod .htm)

Jeff "

Nice :applause:

Two for the price of one is doublecool

Out of stock according to that page :kilroy:

Tako_Kichi
December 10th, 2009, 15:01
I have had a TrackIR 4 since just after they first came out and could not fly without it now but after several years heavy use (and I mean several hours a day, week in and week out as I am stuck at home 24/7 and do a lot of flying, beta testing and paint/model testing) it has started to go myopic in one 'eye'!

It works fine from left to right but the up and down range has been slowly reducing over time as has the distance it can see clearly (I have to drag the monitor forward now when I fly as it loses track if I sit too far away from it). I have even had it all apart and washed off all the emitters and receivers with Isopropyl but it's no better. I had some great assistance from the tech support guys at Natural Point and they were as confused as I was with regard to this problem. My personal feeling is that one (or more) of the LED IR emitters or receivers is getting 'old' and starting to lose it's effectiveness.

Bottom line is that I am now in the market for a replacement and even though I can get a TIR4 for less money (still lots around) I will be getting a TIR5 as the extra viewing range will be beneficial to me and the 5 is supposed to be much smoother and more accurate in it's tracking abilities.

Unfortunately it looks like I will have to resort to Ebay as I can only use PayPal to make the purchase and the best price I have found so far is around $150 USD.