PDA

View Full Version : Lou Rawls: so missed........

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2009, 12:51
My sister and I had the great privilege of seeing this wonderful performer, way back in the late 1970s, at the Indianapolis Butler University's "Starlight Musicals" Theater (also known as the Hilton U. Brown Theater).

Rita Moreno opened for Lou Rawls (that detail I did not remember, but my sister tells me this).

I do remember Lou walking out on stage though. He wore a white three piece suit, complete with a cape with red satin lining!

He was an unbelievably talented performer. Such an incredible voice!

When he launched into his famous hit, "Lady Love", a very "healthy" woman in front of us screamed out her phone number!!

Enjoy. NC

Fs97K9Fs3RE&feature=youtube_gdata

nuVUcQaau_s&feature=youtube_gdata

PNSx9lRHhOw&feature=youtube_gdata

iCgs-TIQ5Dk&feature=youtube_gdata

TomSteber
December 9th, 2009, 12:53
Nothing like his voice. Thanks for reminding me Chief.

GT182
December 9th, 2009, 15:54
One of the all time greats. :applause:

Helldiver
December 9th, 2009, 16:13
Chief, you really hit a nerve with Lou Rawls. Thanks a lot!

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2009, 16:52
You're welcome, Helldiver!

Although there are a lot of great singers nowadays, the truly legendary performers like Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., and Lou Rawls......well, they're slowly but surely leaving us. Thank goodness for the technology of recorded sound, right? They can never be forgotten as a result. Music is a big part of my daily life, and this type of music is ageless.

Helldiver, if you have not visited the website, check out Pandora. Free music to listen to, and you can customize it to your tastes!

http://www.pandora.com/

Here's a video of a VERY young Mel Torme singing "Blue Moon" in some movie, starring (also a very young) Mickey Rooney:

8kyMdi0K7i4&feature=youtube_gdata

and this one is just audio, but it is Sammy Davis Jr. singing, "What Kind of Fool Am I?" This guy had a set of pipes!!!

BNFBMZ5L37o&feature=youtube_gdata

NC

Dain Arns
December 9th, 2009, 18:08
I miss the "The Velvet Fog", he really had a great voice and could scat with the best of them. He was licensed pilot too and flew his own plane to his gigs.

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2009, 18:22
I miss the "The Velvet Fog", he really had a great voice and could scat with the best of them. He was licensed pilot too and flew his own plane to his gigs.

This forum is great! I did not know that about Mel Torme. Thanks, Dain!

NC

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2009, 18:33
Another great singer!!!

This video features Vic Damone and Elizabeth Montgomery singing a duet. I had such a crush on her!!!

qkNHLpYyqaw&feature=youtube_gdata

and then this:

alNpnzzF-j8&feature=youtube_gdata

Cloud9Gal
December 9th, 2009, 19:42
LOVE Lou Rawls!!!! Awesome picks NC! Thank you! http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-happy-smileys-369.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Tongue-Smileys/)

cheezyflier
December 9th, 2009, 20:27
and this one is just audio, but it is Sammy Davis Jr. singing, "What Kind of Fool Am I?" This guy had a set of pipes!!!

he was also the only actor in the original ocean's 11 that could actually act. imo, he was a talent that is under rated today. (i don't know about back in the day)

Helldiver
December 9th, 2009, 23:36
Chief, Thanks for Pandora. I'll be usng that a lot. Mel Torme was not only a great singer, song writer and pilot, he was also the founder of Cross & Cockcade, a World War I magazne I used to subscribe to.
I met him on a cruise and he signed a copy of Cross & Cockade I happened to have with me with a picture of my Father in Law pushing an SE-5.