PDA

View Full Version : The Developers Nightmare sound... Ding!

Lionheart
December 7th, 2009, 17:05
There is a sound you hear in the Developer world that sends a shot of lightning up your spine and an adrenaline rush that temporarily has you dizzy and dumbfounded, or is it shock..

Its the sound that follows after depressing the compile button on MakeMDL when you are burning a MDL file off of your work in progress aircraft 3D creation.

If all goes well, you never hear the Microsoft Windows sound effect 'Ding!'. But... If something is amiss, if you have created TOO MANY PARTS, and you are OVER YOUR DANG LIMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

..........'Ding!'

:palms to face:

<--- eyebrows tingle and begin turning another shade of metallic, glistening, silvery gray....

If only I could figure a way around this dang FS9 compiler model size limit..

Bill

Milton Shupe
December 7th, 2009, 17:09
There is a sound you hear in the Developer world that sends a shot of lightning up your spine and an adrenaline rush that temporarily has you dizzy and dumbfounded, or is it shock..

Its the sound that follows after depressing the compile button on MakeMDL when you are burning a MDL file off of your work in progress aircraft 3D creation.

If all goes well, you never hear the Microsoft Windows sound effect 'Ding!'. But... If something is amiss, if you have created TOO MANY PARTS, and you are OVER YOUR DANG LIMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

..........'Ding!'

:palms to face:

<--- eyebrows tingle and begin turning another shade of metallic, glistening, silvery gray....

If only I could figure a way around this dang FS9 compiler model size limit..

Bill

Simple Bill; too many parts? Attach them all to the fuselage and have just one part. :pop4:

Lionheart
December 7th, 2009, 17:12
Oh man... lol... If only that were the case.

As you know.. Its actally a polygon count limit in the FS2004 MakeMDL compiler.

man.... I have hit this level so many times.

I still wanted to add a front cargo bay with detailed parts in there and some passengers in the back...

arrgh..

Sunny9850
December 7th, 2009, 17:44
Can't help with the "Ding" problem Bill.....all I can say your creations are definitely worth all the trouble you go through.

Stefan

OBIO
December 7th, 2009, 18:04
The simplest way to keep from hearing the "ding".....turn your speakers off.

OleBoy
December 7th, 2009, 18:10
Can't help with the "Ding" problem Bill.....all I can say your creations are definitely worth all the trouble you go through.

Stefan

I've got to agree with you. Last weekend I was at a fellow friends. He too has gotten into the simulator after I corrupted him for something better to do during the winter months. He invited the wife and I over to have lunch with him and his wife.

Lunch was excellent. Before I got the last bite down, George says. Don, come with me for a sec I got something to show you. He led me into his den to his desk and turned on his computer. He looked at me, smiled, and clicked on the shortcut for FS9. It loaded so fast I was amazed. Not my machine.

George then says, I got me a new toy. I says...oh yeah, what ya find now. George says....a Quest Kodiak...he smiles really big. I thought..the only Quest Kodiak I know of is Lionhearts. George says....that's it! He smiles.

You should have seen this ole guys face. Like a kid with a new toy. And, it was a very neat plane to fly.

I flew the Kodiak for about 20 minutes. Very impressive, beautifully modeled, and had a super neat immersion factor.

I just can't praise you enough Bill. Your attention to detail is fan..tastic!!

On a side note, the wife wants to know what I want for christmas. As long as it fits in my stocking :icon_lol:

Mr. Bill Lionheart ....no I wont start that. I'm gonna get me your Kodiak!! :ernae:

Wing_Z
December 7th, 2009, 19:30
I reckon Milton wasn't joking...
"Spend" your polys on making the VC smooth, and animating the prop, and include some nice RW photos of the plane from the outside. :d

...NAH!

Tom Clayton
December 7th, 2009, 19:53
You could always change the wav file to something a little more festive! Try some of these:

http://www.frogstar.com/content/sound-effects-1

Lionheart
December 8th, 2009, 11:30
You could always change the wav file to something a little more festive! Try some of these:

http://www.frogstar.com/content/sound-effects-1

LOLOL....

Either the Horror Film one at the bottom, or the Broken Tada...

:d

Deleting detail... arrgh..

<--- kicks the dirt, mumbles..

WHY? WHO put that limit in the compiler???? AKKKKK!!!!

full
December 8th, 2009, 11:49
I hear ya ! ive got a beautiful anzani engine built and its 5,000 polys over the limit, Its seems the only way were going to get it to work over the 65,000 threshold is if some clever person could change the code in the compiler.....

Wing_Z
December 8th, 2009, 12:36
Michael Davies made a post some time back which alleged you can get past that poly count in FS9.
Maybe ask him?
Now that he's "retired" he would want to share some of his wisdom I'm sure.

n4gix
December 8th, 2009, 13:43
Bill, I understand and share your frustration. I've got so much detail in the DA42 FS9 version's external model that I've spent hours searching out ways to reduce the poly count on many objects until I could finally get everything in...

I've noticed that there's a certain point at which while the model will compile, when loaded in the sim the entire external model has vanished! Now that's truly bizzare.

I've finally reached the point where adding just one more triangle poly to the exterior model will tip the balance.

Fortunately, I've still got quite a bit of wiggle-room for the interior model... :ernae:

Milton Shupe
December 8th, 2009, 14:40
And of course, I was kidding. I have spent many hours taking my model apart (980 parts) one by one to reduce polys ... simplifying, optimizing, until I was in good with the compiler again. :isadizzy: