PDA

View Full Version : Which hand on the controls?

mfitch
December 6th, 2009, 09:19
This is not quite a poll. I am curious which hand (left/right) you use to hold the stick/yoke/whatever controls you use.

Usually I use my right hand on the stick and left on the throttle for my Saitek X45 (HOTAS).
For the Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant is use my left on the yoke and right on the throttle quadrant.
Last night after adding and additional throttle quadrant I tried to use my left on the stick (X45) and right on the throttle quadrant which matches the arrangement on a Diamond Katana (the type of plane in which I may learn to fly when summer arrives). I found this a bit unnatural despite using both left and right hands to control planes before. This made me curious what other pilots (in sim our in life) experience.

PRB
December 6th, 2009, 09:26
When learning to fly real planes, in the early 1980s, before flight sims, I felt awkward having to use my left hand on the yoke, and my right hand on the throttle. In FS I am the same. I have the CH Products yoke and throttle quadrant, and set them up so that the throttles are on the left side, and the yoke in the center, controlled by the right hand (like a p-38!)

gajit
December 6th, 2009, 09:27
In real life - depends on the aircraft and which seat im in. In fsx - alway glass of whisky in left and joystick in right :ernae:

CodyValkyrie
December 6th, 2009, 09:40
Depends on the control. With my joystick, it is right hand (which it is made for right handers only sadly anyways). With a yoke, I learned to fly them with my left hand in the real world, so I emulate that here as well.

N2056
December 6th, 2009, 09:46
I am using the Saitek throttle quadrant, and I can set up any combo of yoke/stick/throttle I want with the throttle on the side I want. I set up according to the plane I am flying at the time :d

Wing Nut
December 6th, 2009, 10:37
... In fsx - alway glass of whisky in left and joystick in right :ernae:
LOL gajit ... you're a man after my own heart. Good to see you're livin right.

Bjoern
December 6th, 2009, 10:43
My flightstick is a righty, so no joy with my left hand.

- Edit: This might sound a wee bit wrong...*snicker*

fsafranek
December 6th, 2009, 11:03
Righty tighty, lefty loosy. No wait, that's something else. :icon_lol:

I fly with the stick in the right hand. The sometimes used yoke gets more even attention.
:ernae:

italoc
December 6th, 2009, 12:39
In most flight schools you learn to fly in Cessna 150/152/172 and use left hand on stick and right hand on throttle (I learned that few years ago !!!!) but in Sim is the opposite (at least the way I started simming after the "real" flying was over)

Italo

Mr.Mugel
December 6th, 2009, 13:04
On the X52 I use right hand on stick, left hand on throttle, that thing is hard to use the other way I guess, but as I am right handed, it is good for me.... Interesting is the fact that while I´m right handed I use the mouse with my left hand...

fliger747
December 6th, 2009, 14:55
Depends on the plane and the control setup. From the left seat of most aircraft the left hand is on the yoke and right on the throttle. I fly Cessna'a and Boeings this way. However most tandem seated aircraft with a stick such as my PA 18 do the opposite and have the throttle in the left and stick in the right hand. Most WWII fighters are like this. My control setup at home is throttle left, stick right. I like sticks better than yokes....

T.

Tako_Kichi
December 6th, 2009, 15:20
I guess I am like most others here.....for my X52 it's stick on the right, throttle on the left......for my yoke it's yoke in the centre (controlled by my left hand mostly but sometimes both) and throttle quad on the right side.

N2056
December 6th, 2009, 15:25
Now for my real answer...

The hand that is not holding the :icon29: