PDA

View Full Version : Texture Question

N2056
December 5th, 2009, 20:13
I have had 2 people that had problems with the Quickie not displaying the 2048 textures. One person was able to re-size his and it worked. The other person did not really know how to do it so I sent him a re-sized set. He still has a pretty invisible plane. I'm waiting to see what his specs are, but I am pretty stumped as to what is wrong. Any ideas?

djscoo
December 5th, 2009, 20:15
I have had 2 people that had problems with the Quickie not displaying the 2048 textures. One person was able to re-size his and it worked. The other person did not really know how to do it so I sent him a re-sized set. He still has a pretty invisible plane. I'm waiting to see what his specs are, but I am pretty stumped as to what is wrong. Any ideas?
Make sure he has SP1 installed...some aircraft were invisible for me prior to SP1 installation.

Lionheart
December 5th, 2009, 20:35
Robert,

DJScoo is on it.. SP1 is usually the cause. I even found myself with my latest computer, without SP1. Tell him to tripple check that he has it..

Bill

Piglet
December 6th, 2009, 01:12
With so many users with so many different computer setups, there will always be problems cropping up. People are always e-mailing me about the most unusual bugs that I have never encountered. Unfortunaly, it's mostly due to downloading from sites that have hacked the crap out of my planes.:isadizzy: AND also to those who never read the readme files. It's called a README file for a reason! So I always tell them to pester the one who hacked/pirated my planes. Doesn't always work, tho....

All praise the delete button...

Bjoern
December 6th, 2009, 03:38
SP2 aircraft don't display well in a SP1 FSX. Had that problem with FSND's C-310.

Also, make sure everyone has "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048" in their FSX.cfg.

Lionheart
December 6th, 2009, 07:49
Some of the complaints I have had;

Running my FSX planes in non-SP1, non-SP2 FSX; "Why are their giant rudder pedals sticking out of the roof"?

Running FSX with 1 Gig of Ram; "Why do some of the parts of the plane not show up?"

Running vista 64, installer uses 'Program Files' folder instead of Program Files (64); "Why do I install the plane and cannot find it? I installed it 3 times, checked, and its in there, but doesnt show up?"

Same thing, over and over and over and over and over........ and over... and over...

I would make a great FSX courtesy help technician..

A word of advice from Windows err Microsoft. Why keep reinventing the wheel???? Why change Windows each time you come out with a version?????? Check Mac OSX. They do not redo all the various folder systems and folder naming with each new release. They 'improve' what they have. Not reinvent it and make it to not work with alot of programs....

Just my humble two cents and a bit of observation..

Bill

N2056
December 6th, 2009, 08:21
Thanks for the info guys!

I forwarded it to my "client". I'm still waiting to see if he will respond with system specs, and I have explained to him that I am about out of ideas and he might be out of luck. Since he has really been the only person to show up needing help I don't mind trying to get him going. I figure if I learn something from this it will also help me turn out a better product in terms of documentation explaining system requirements.

Gizmo
December 6th, 2009, 13:03
2 other things that ive seen that can cause invisible planes/parts are

Buffer pools set to high in the fsx.cfg

&

EnbSeries dx9 .dll hook (also ref to as the FSX HDR plugin)

Various versions of that rendering hook alter the way alpha textures are handled and can result in see through aircraft

just thought id throw them out there,long shots but you never know ;)

Lionheart
December 6th, 2009, 16:42
Thanks Gizmo.

Good to know.

Bill

N2056
December 7th, 2009, 17:28
Guys, thanks for the input. I got word from him today that after a fresh install of the Quickie...followed by installing my re-sized textures he is good to go. I think there was some confusion about the smaller textures the first time around.