PDA

View Full Version : One of Our Last Remaining WWII Heroes

Devildog73
December 4th, 2009, 06:53
RICHMOND, Va. -- One of the nation's oldest Medal of Honor winners was back in the fight Thursday, this time against a neighborhood association that wants him to take down a front-yard flagpole.
Supporters, including a U.S. senator, have been falling in behind 90-year-old retired Army Col. Van T. Barfoot, a World War II veteran awarded the lofty Congressional honor for actions including standing up to three German tanks with a bazooka and stopping their advance.
Barfoot put up the 21-foot flagpole in September in front of his suburban Richmond home. He raises the American flag daily at sunrise and retires it at sunset.
"It's really ridiculous to want to keep the flag from being flown," he said in a telephone interview. "I've heard some terrible excuses out there."
The Sussex Square homeowners' association says the flagpole violates the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines. It originally ordered him to remove it by 5 p.m. Friday or face a lawsuit, but on Thursday it pushed back the deadline until Dec. 11.
The group has said Barfoot can display the flag, as long as it's in a way that conforms with association rules, such as from a pole mounted on the front of the house.
"This is not about the American flag. This is about a flagpole," the association said in a statement.
Sen. Mark R. Warner, D-Va., is among those offering to help break the impasse, Warner spokesman Kevin Hall said. On Thursday, the homeowners association voted unanimously to ask Warner's office to attempt to reach a compromise in the dispute.
"We intend to get to work right away to try to come up with a solution that's acceptable to both Col. Barfoot and to the homeowner's association," Hall said in an e-mail.
Warner and the war hero became acquainted at veterans' events when Warner was Virginia's governor from 2002-06. Others are backing Barfoot on the Internet, including with a Facebook page.
Barfoot won the Medal of Honor for actions while his platoon was under German assault near Carano, Italy, in May 1944. The award citation says Barfoot, then a 2nd lieutenant, crept up alone on German machine gun nests, killing and capturing enemy troops in three of them, stopped their three-tank advance and helped two seriously wounded comrades back to safety.
He also won the Purple Heart and other decorations, and served in Korea and Vietnam before retiring from the service in 1974. The Sitter & Barfoot Veterans Care Center, a state nursing home for military retirees in Richmond, bears his name.
Barfoot's daughter, Margaret Nicholls, said her father has been moved to tears by the outpouring of support, and hopes the nine-member homeowners' board will use its discretion and let him keep the pole.
"A house-mounted pole? That is not an option," Nicholls said. "The flagpole is definitely what he's fighting for."

olaf1924
December 4th, 2009, 07:32
I read this story two days ago and the first thought that came to me was that the home owners around him are not combat veterans. I would allow him just about everything he wants including a whole yard of flags.:USA-flag::USA-flag::USA-flag::USA-flag:

Rami
December 4th, 2009, 07:36
I also read it and thing the entire episode is disrespectful to this veteran and a bunch of PC nonsense. If I were a lawyer, I'd take his case pro bono in a second! :USA-flag:

Bill Kestell
December 4th, 2009, 08:12
For my part, as a Vet, the Sussex Square Homeowners ASSociation violates MY guidelines ... I'm REALLY MAD now ... so I'm just gonna' stop before I REALLY rant!

Devildog73
December 4th, 2009, 14:54
Bill, that's why I just cut and pasted the article. I am TOO ANGRY for words over this.

If I could, I would go dig up his 21 foot flag pole and attach it to his house and say: "THERE, IT IS ATTACHED TO HIS HOUSE, SATISFIED?"

p14u2nv
December 4th, 2009, 15:58
As a vet also I too am po'd to say the least. This is not the first homeowners assoc. to tell an American citizen and a vet to take down his flag as it has been happening more and more in the last decade all across this nation. Didn't Donald Trump go through the same issue in Florida and just recently?

My grandfather raised his flag at sunrise and took it down at sunset and for over 60 years. What an example the greatest generation has set. Too bad the slackers of today, these "enlightened ones" who are products of our school systems could not have had contact with these citizens, most unlike any other generation.

All of this makes me sick. GOD bless Col. Van T. Barfoot and all those from that generation who showed the rest of us what sacrifice was all about.

PJMack
December 4th, 2009, 19:17
:salute:I do believe that the Nazi Party left Germany after the war and formed itself into many home owners associations. Live and let live...give the man the respect that he deserves!!!!!!!!:salute:

tonybones2112
December 5th, 2009, 09:33
There are many US combat veterans who are buried in Europe, the ones who never came home. My story is one of countless thousands who did.

Those of you familiar with Ambrose's book and the TV miniseries BAND OF BROTHERS remember Shifty Powers, the company sharpshooter. My uncle Virgil was his company's Shifty Powers. He picked snipers off from 400 yards over open sights with his stock M1 Garand. While on a patrol he and his fellow soldiers ambushed a staff car of officers of the 15th SS panzer Division, Hitler Jurgen(Hitler Youth). Virgil took a pistol belt of one of the dead Gremans as a tropthy.

Some time later he took a Mauser round into that German belt buckle. It turned the bullet, went into his side, exited into his elbow and traveled along the long bone up into his wrist. It was a very painful wound though nowhere near being fatal yet had he not had the captured belt on it would have been fatal. I understand his fellow soldiers shot the sniper out of a tree. It was a 15 year old boy, a member of the Hitler Jurgen Division.

My point is that my uncle, along with the deaths and wounds of countless other US veterans of WW2 took a bullet in the gut for this man's right to have his flag and flagpole. Any form of AMICUS CURAE litigation to help him have it, point me in that direction and I'll sign on.

Tony Bones