PDA

View Full Version : OT lcd cleaning

Henry
December 3rd, 2009, 08:12
how does one clean an LCD monitor?
H

DaveKDEN
December 3rd, 2009, 08:18
I bought a cleaning product from Radio Shack years ago by Monster called "ScreenClean." Does a great job on my LCD HDTV and LCD monitors. Also works on my Daughters new laptop that has a gloss finish screen. Comes with a spray and a cleaning cloth.

http://www.monstercable.com/screenclean/monster_screenclean.asp

IMPORTANT that anything you buy is alcohol free!

PutPut
December 3rd, 2009, 08:20
H

I found most of the screen cleaners are a 50/50 mix of isopropol alcohol and water. I make my own and use it with a well worn clean hanky to clean the screen. I then dry with another clean hanky. No scratches or other problems after 2 years.

Paul

Bjoern
December 3rd, 2009, 08:23

Windex and a soft cloth.

Ferry_vO
December 3rd, 2009, 08:29
My Samsung monitor came with a small piece of cloth that only needs a bit of water to clean the screen; works very well.

Be careful with the amount of water you use, as you don't want it to leak into the screen, and do not apply pressure when cleaning!

spotlope
December 3rd, 2009, 08:29
Actually, I've heard it said emphatically before NOT to use Windex on LCD displays. Can't remember where I heard that now, but I always just use a dab of water on a very soft cloth.

Henry
December 3rd, 2009, 09:00
Actually, I've heard it said emphatically before NOT to use Windex on LCD displays. Can't remember where I heard that now, but I always just use a dab of water on a very soft cloth.
i heard that also thats why i asked
thanks for the answers
H

Snuffy
December 3rd, 2009, 09:28
Windex and a paper towel.

:wavey:

No, seriously. That's what I use at work and at home.

kilo delta
December 3rd, 2009, 09:36
A damp lint free cloth.:)

ananda
December 3rd, 2009, 10:01
I use spectacles cleaner.

Henry
December 3rd, 2009, 10:06
I use spectacles cleaner.
i thought of that is it good?
H

Bjoern
December 3rd, 2009, 11:06

I think it was about not spraying Windex on the screen directly, but I can't see why a cloth with Windex on it should be harmful for the display. After all the LCD must have at least a thin transparent protective sheet of plastic...

Pepere
December 3rd, 2009, 11:12
alcohol with cloth. take a nip first of course. :icon29:

David

MCDesigns
December 3rd, 2009, 11:21
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/ht/cleanflatscreen.htm

Kiwikat
December 3rd, 2009, 11:47
I'm also using the monster cleaner with a microfiber cloth. It works really well.

Odie
December 3rd, 2009, 11:53
I use an old, clean, t-shirt.

d0mokun
December 3rd, 2009, 11:55
I applied a warm cup of tea to the front of a screen yesterday. As a follow up I used a damp old t-shirt, and it worked well.

When not spilling/ throwing/ launching tea everywhere, I use my glasses cleaning cloth.

mfitch
December 3rd, 2009, 12:37
Windex is dangerous to almost anything. It is sufficiently caustic to bleach stone and strip paint. I learned this when I was paying for college in part by working custodial. During a windex fight in a locker room I discovered that it can strip paint in seconds.

Many monitors have anti-glare coatings. Windex will strip this off leaving streaks. However, as mentioned above, in small enough quantities applied carefully (sprayed on cloth not sprayed on screen), the wear will probably take a long enough time to not notice

JoeW
December 3rd, 2009, 13:57
I use a microfiber cloth lightly sprayed with Winddex. That's 1 or 2 pumps.

hey_moe
December 3rd, 2009, 14:19
Same here...use it for the TV's and Pooters...Mike
I'm also using the monster cleaner with a microfiber cloth. It works really well.