PDA

View Full Version : Psstt....don't tell anyone...

Motormouse
December 1st, 2009, 17:06
Rick Piper has allowed the BETA version of his
Bristol Sycamore to fly!

More details over at Cbfsim.org

ttfn

Pete

SteveB
December 1st, 2009, 18:01
Cheers Pete :ernae:

Flyboy208
December 1st, 2009, 18:50
I have the website on my favourites and I am registered - a link to the BETA plase Pete! Mike :icon_lol:

SteveB
December 1st, 2009, 18:52
I have the website on my favourites and I am registered - a link to the BETA plase Pete! Mike :icon_lol:

Try this Mike.

http://www.cbfsim.net/library/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=1

PeteHam
December 1st, 2009, 20:35
Thanks for the heads up Pete. :applause::applause:

The attention to detail is superb, even the harness on the end of the winch cable swings back and forward.

Doing some cold weather testing at Yellowknife.

Pete.

OleBoy
December 1st, 2009, 22:13
This is awesome! :ernae: And a gentle flier too :)

For a Beta/WIP, This is really nice.

Thank You Rick Piper

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4247/2009dec20018318452.jpg
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9416/2009dec20028330786.jpg
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5934/2009dec20038350651.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1092/2009dec20048373086.jpg
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9012/2009dec20058393089.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8765/2009dec20098411908.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8325/2009dec20108431973.jpg

Lionheart
December 1st, 2009, 23:01
Man.. Looking at that hull and the complex shape on the front of both flat zones and rounded surfaces and realising how much work went into that brings a tear of pain to my eye. eeeks!

Well done model!

Bill

Astoroth
December 1st, 2009, 23:53
Looks great, hope it's released soon!

OleBoy
December 2nd, 2009, 05:33
Simply amazing. The amount of detail put in this is pure joy. I was up till wee hours playing with it. Three fourths of the time zoomed in to admire it. It's so realistic it's mesmerizing

Mr. Pipers read-me states it's work in progress. The level of animation in the landing struts, rotor, pilot and crew; on top of wondering what more he's going to do to it, makes my mouth drop open and look at it with awe.

Mr. Piper, Rick if I may. I love it :medals:
You call this beta? Surely you jest. After you polish this diamond in the rough, I'll be sure to download it. This is excellent freeware.

Whoops, almost forgot. What is this button configuration suppose to do? I tried it several times. It seems to make the rotor stop spinning and it falls out of the air?

CTRL+F2 CTRL=F3 controls coarse throttle power (you only need that if she is lifting using sling)

Rick_Piper
December 2nd, 2009, 06:27
Hi Don

(I might be wrong about CTRL F2 F3 etc for FS9 (that may be FSX only sorry) long time since i used FS9

Thanks to everyone for the good reception:ernae:

It's only a beta because i cannot currently finish the VC accurately.

Every surviving Sycamore HR14 (SAR variant) has it's rear compartment completely stripped.

Aeroventure Helicopter Museum Here in the UK are restoring their HR14 back to the full HR14 spec but it's on hold while they gather all the missing bits.

Thats why it's a beta.

Not flown the FS9 version for at least 2 years so can't remember how far i got as i then moved onto FSX

I guessed it was pointless just sitting here gathering dust and may as well get some use.

Regards
Rick

OBIO
December 2nd, 2009, 07:25
I'm not much of a helo flier....but I like this helo. It's odd looking (like me), slow (like me), prone to long periods in the bathroom (like me) and it has a radial engine (I have a gas "turbine" that keeps me going). This is a keeper...even if it is "just a beta".

I did make one change to the helo so far...sounds. I swapped out the included sounds from the Robinson R-22 and replaced them with the sound pack I put together for the S-51.

Oh, my first flight in the Sycamore ended in a great big fire ball.....yep, I can crash any aircraft you put me in.

OBIO

OleBoy
December 2nd, 2009, 07:29
Hi Don

(I might be wrong about CTRL F2 F3 etc for FS9 (that may be FSX only sorry) long time since i used FS9

Thanks to everyone for the good reception:ernae:

It's only a beta because i cannot currently finish the VC accurately.

Every surviving Sycamore HR14 (SAR variant) has it's rear compartment completely stripped.

Aeroventure Helicopter Museum Here in the UK are restoring their HR14 back to the full HR14 spec but it's on hold while they gather all the missing bits.

Thats why it's a beta.

Not flown the FS9 version for at least 2 years so can't remember how far i got as i then moved onto FSX

I guessed it was pointless just sitting here gathering dust and may as well get some use.

Regards
Rick

This is even more exciting. But the wait. Are they done yet?..Are they done yet? ROFL?!?

You mean this Bristol has been gathering dust for two years..like this? Who washed it? Cause she's is a beauty:icon29:

I'm a good button pusher. I get the "sticky keys" warning all the time.

Can you tell me, what exactly does CTRL+F2 CTRL=F3 (or whatever buttons sequence it may be)controls? (coarse throttle power (you only need that if she is lifting using sling)) You lost me. What is coarse throttle power? :isadizzy:

OBIO
December 2nd, 2009, 09:30
If you want to experiece a 20G take off, do this:

Start a cold flight with the Sycamore. Bring up the collective and turn off the engine gov, then bring up the controls pop up (Shift 7) and disengage the rotor clutch. Start the engine and go to full power. Let the engine hit max RPMs. Engage the rotor clutch. The helo will shoot straight up so fast that your eyeballs will be crammed down into your socks!

Tim

Motormouse
December 2nd, 2009, 09:43
Hello Don

You lost me. What is coarse throttle power?

If I may, the Sycamore used a piston engine ( a Twin Wasp if I'm not mistaken)
and when lifting heavy loads the rotor has to be allowed to take a larger 'bite' of the air without causing the engine to stall, bit like coarse pitch/fine pitch settings on a Propellor.

When used, the 'switch' would adjust the rotor governed rpm to allow a bigger throttle opening
and thus more power, from the engine, to be transmitted to the rotor.

To be honest, don't think it really matters in Fs9, I think its more for the fancy FSX'er

ttfn

Pete

ps Thanks Rick,must admit I spent a couple of hours bouncing it up and down,just to watch the gear animations....sad I know...

OleBoy
December 2nd, 2009, 10:45
If you want to experiece a 20G take off, do this:

Start a cold flight with the Sycamore. Bring up the collective and turn off the engine gov, then bring up the controls pop up (Shift 7) and disengage the rotor clutch. Start the engine and go to full power. Let the engine hit max RPMs. Engage the rotor clutch. The helo will shoot straight up so fast that your eyeballs will be crammed down into your socks!

Tim

LOL, for someone who doesn't know how to fly these things very well, you sure know the pyrotech-nics :icon_lol:

Hello Don
To be honest, don't think it really matters in Fs9, I think its more for the fancy FSX'er

ttfn

Pete

ps Thanks Rick,must admit I spent a couple of hours bouncing it up and down,just to watch the gear animations....sad I know...

Nuff said on that. Thanks Pete.

Watching the gear animations, :applause: makes me laugh

Rick_Piper
December 2nd, 2009, 10:51
Hi Pete

the Engine is actually an Alvis Leonides Mk.173 and not an American unit

I have all the manuals and maint info which i used like i always do.

But thanks for the offer of a soundpack in your PM.

I have already built a soundpack with the correct sounds but still trying to contact the author of a couple of sounds i have used.

which is why the soundpack included is made up of default sounds with a remix

Regards
Rick

Motormouse
December 2nd, 2009, 11:10
Hi Don

Regards
Rick

:isadizzy: should've known !!

Pete

OleBoy
December 2nd, 2009, 11:16
Hi Don

I have all the manuals and maint info which i used like i always do.

I have already built a soundpack with the correct sounds but still trying to contact the author of a couple of sounds i have used.

which is why the soundpack included is made up of default sounds with a remix

Regards
Rick

HUH?.....Now you got me!! I never sent you a PM?!? :isadizzy:

Rick_Piper
December 2nd, 2009, 12:06
Hi Don

Sorry mate it was OBIO :bump:

Thanks OBIO :icon29:

Regards
Rick

OleBoy
December 2nd, 2009, 12:18
I'll just have to speak to Harry Potter of this discrepancy!!!

Flyboy208
December 2nd, 2009, 12:57
Try this Mike.

http://www.cbfsim.net/library/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=1

Thanks Steve, I was finally able to download it with my own login.

Cheers! Mike :jump:

Flyboy208
December 2nd, 2009, 18:17
Such an awesome heli - Cheers Rick! Mike :ernae:

Motormouse
December 4th, 2009, 00:47
Just bumping this up, hoping someone thinks its' worthy of a 'sticky'.

(Although Rick says its' a beta model, as he's kindly explained in the thread, really its as finished as it can be,until more accurate information from a surviving actual helicopter can be incorporated, and there aren't many of those left in the world).

ttfn

Pete