PDA

View Full Version : stripped stud can get expensive

Lionus
November 28th, 2009, 13:02
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546

:d ooh boy.. what has happened to good old common sense and patience? :icon_lol:

Chacha
November 28th, 2009, 13:47
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546

:d ooh boy.. what has happened to good old common sense and patience? :icon_lol:

Eeeeks...

He did that? Cut the wheel apart? Common sense man! :isadizzy: :isadizzy: :isadizzy:

Well I hope he feels good doing that... :bump:

djscoo
November 28th, 2009, 13:57
Ahaha! That's a classic thread...I like the OP's title: "wheel slayer", and avatar: a sawzall.

rpjkw
November 28th, 2009, 16:13
Wonder if that wheel will ever balance?

Bob

N2056
November 28th, 2009, 17:33
I want to see what he does when it's time to change the oil filter! :icon_lol:

Kofschip
November 28th, 2009, 18:02
There is one character who needs to stay away from cars. Absoluttely amazing.:bump:

TARPSBird
November 28th, 2009, 18:20
Some people should not be allowed to attempt mechanical tasks. When I worked in the local home center store our two worst areas for screwed up projects were Plumbing & Electrical. Many times I had a customer come in and waste 20-30 minutes of my time selecting copper plumbing fittings or electrical parts, only to come in a few hours later wanting to exchange parts because they didn't know what they were doing in the first place. Some guys send their wives in because they're too ashamed to face us. :icon_lol:

Snuffy
November 28th, 2009, 19:38
Oh! I thought from the title that this might be a story about a bachelorette party gone wrong.

:bump:

exc141ac
November 29th, 2009, 05:25
wonder if that wheel will ever balance?

Bob

lmao!

stansdds
November 29th, 2009, 08:26
Well, that's an... uhhhhh... "interesting" story. The most dangerous thing I ever did to a car involved an oil filter that had evidently been installed by the Incredible Hulk and a screwdriver. I could not get the old filter off with a band style filter wrench, so I resorted to hammering a very large screwdriver through the side of the filter. I knew that once I did that, I was committed, but it gave me enough leverage to remove that filter. Can't say as I've ever done something like that to a lug nut, nor can I say that I know anyone who has, or was willing to admit to it.

n4gix
November 29th, 2009, 10:30
Screwdriver through oil filter? I've had to do that more than once over the years...

...on one occasion though I misjudged the angle, and didn't have enough room to turn the filter far before the handle of the screwdriver hit an immovable object...

...so I had to pull the screwdriver out, and try again. By the time I got that sucker off, it looked like a collander! :bump:

cheezyflier
November 29th, 2009, 13:11
my son bought a car for $200 (his first car, about 4 years ago)
he said "the only thing wrong with it is a stuck pulley! can i use your tools to fix it?

6 months later he paid $50 to have it towed away. i watched him do to that subaru's engine, pretty much what that guy did to the wheel. difference is, the suburu never ran again.

harleyman
November 29th, 2009, 13:30
LOl What an idiot..

1) drill the lug out..

2) WELD a bolt onto it .

3) take it to someone that has a clue.

Willy
November 29th, 2009, 13:49
I watched a buddy of mine years ago with one of those fancy wheel locks that had a flat and couldn't find the key. He ended up calling in professional help. I won't have the things.

Bjoern
November 30th, 2009, 16:32
:Facepalm:

TeaSea
December 1st, 2009, 15:33
Key locks are a waste of effort. Originally they may have served some purpose when these fancy wheels were rare, but now every car seems to have them.

Personally I would have taken heat to it first, then run it around to loosen it. After that I would have taken it to a garage that had the proper kit, although they still would have done what Harleyman suggested.

MaddogK
December 2nd, 2009, 06:50
Amatuer !
The 'flaming wrench' prolly would've warped that alloy wheel, and as the lock was prolly chrome plated welding another nut over it would've been nearly impossible, and drilling it out (my first choice- drill 'off' the head of the bolt) wouldn't have happened with a broken titanium 'easy out' in there.

The guy did the right thing as a replacement wheel is cheaper than the labor to remove and save that wheel.

JoeW
December 2nd, 2009, 07:03
The worest thing I have done is place the water pump gasket for a Chry Hemi on backwards. The only difference in each side is a hole about 1/8" dia on one side and not the other. I filled the crank case with water.

waco
December 2nd, 2009, 08:48
I'm reminded of Jeff Foxworthy and his TV show. "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?"

cheezyflier
December 2nd, 2009, 10:03
The worest thing I have done is place the water pump gasket for a Chry Hemi on backwards. The only difference in each side is a hole about 1/8" dia on one side and not the other. I filled the crank case with water.

hey, don't feel bad, there are alot of folks who have made the same mistake.
not that i personally have but, you know, i'm sure lots of people have done that. there are other ones that block water passages and bypasses and stuff, but most water pump gaskets only fit one way for that reason. thermostats are a whole 'nother deal though...

waco
December 2nd, 2009, 11:56
JoeW, when I was in my mid twenties and newly married, I needed a new carb on my '54 Ford. Being a lowly corporal in the AF I didn't have that kind of money and decided to rebuild it. Hadn't ever done that before, but this was affordable on my pay. A kit was $2 then. I got the carb torn down okay and was ready to put it in a container of cleaner (a corrosive cleaner we used on jet engines). I slapped the open body down across the palm of my hand. When I righted the it, I had a BB in the palm of my hand. Panic mode set in when I looked at all the diversified chambers and drillings in the body of that carb and hadn't a clue where the BB came from. This was the weekend and I needed that car to get to the base Monday. Luckily the AF had instilled in me the necessity to read the manuals and read them again. And again if necessary. I poured over those instructions in the kit and decided with much qualm that the BB had to be the check valve in the accelator pump. There was an open hole there now and the BB fit. So that's where I put the BB when I reassembled that carb and reinstalled it on the engine. And lo an' behold, after some priming, that engine cranked up and ran like a dream. I felt like the luckiest guy alive. And greatly relieved, too. I wouldn't be AWOL Monday morning, but I had been sweating bullets.

JoeW
December 2nd, 2009, 12:14
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Silver Fox
December 2nd, 2009, 21:41
I just hope that guy never gets his weddng tackle caught in his zipper... Out comes the sawsall!! :)

A can of liquid freon, a centre punch and a mallet... problem with the stud goes away.