PDA

View Full Version : My comp hardware mess.

demorier
October 29th, 2008, 02:11
There has to be a better way of setting this hardware up, my temporary setup in the pic's is a mess. Just don't want the towers close to the floor. Anybody got some ideas ?

hey_moe
October 29th, 2008, 02:15
Get a bigger table and some tie wraps.

wombat666
October 29th, 2008, 04:02
Only one solution, build your own custom station.
Mine goes up to four levels, and has a rear power board shelf, while most of the cables run through 50mm diameter flexible plastic tube.
Need to do a lot of planning and scale drawing but it comes together with care.
:d

Willy
October 29th, 2008, 10:58
Or do like I did, put the back of the desk against the wall to hide the snake's nest of wiring. :d

Henry
October 29th, 2008, 10:59
Or do like I did, put the back of the desk against the wall to hide the snake's nest of wiring. :d
Oh you do that too :redf:
LOL
H

Panther_99FS
October 29th, 2008, 14:01
Still cleaner than my corner (and I emphasize CORNER) :icon_lol:

jmig
October 29th, 2008, 15:24
Go wireless!

:costumes:

N2056
October 29th, 2008, 15:26
I use velcro cable ties. I have used a few different types, but they are all the same sort of thing. They come in a roll, and have the fuzz on one side and the hooks on the other...use 'em like tape! :d

Roger
October 29th, 2008, 15:27
The answer to your question is ...To Not Mind.:d

Kofschip
October 29th, 2008, 15:29
Oh you do that too :redf:
LOL
H

here is another one...:d:d:d

Trans_23
October 29th, 2008, 15:34
I bought a banquet table at Sam's club a few years ago. It has metal legs but a plastic table top. My computer is in the garage (long story) so it is imperative that I keep the cables off the floor. I mounted my surge arrestor to the back of the table. I then screwed one hole conduit straps to the back of the table. I run the wires where they have to go and then use velcro straps to bundle them together, then the bundle goes under the pipe straps. If I have to change or add wiring I just loosen the conduit straps enough to release the bundle and open the velcro straps.
My CH yoke is zip tied to the front of the table to the right of my keyboard as the clamps alone would hold it still enough for me.

demorier
October 29th, 2008, 17:53
Thinking of making a couple of OPEN shelves suspended below the rear 2 corners of the table and mounted sideways so my knees don't bang into them all the time. They would take the 2 towers and still get enough air flowing around them. I've used the velco straps before, might set up some more of those and hang them from hooks at the back edge of the table. Should leave plenty of space on top of the table for the other stuff then.

srgalahad
October 30th, 2008, 13:51
For when you care enough to buy the very best...

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43597&p=61306

srgalahad
October 30th, 2008, 14:03
While I appreciate that few of us (me included) have vast budgets, I have to mention a couple of things for the 'addicted' among us. Having suffered 2 years at a desk in a typical office that was not designed for computers... try to pay attention to the ergonomics if you are going to be using the kbd, etc. more than 2 hours a day (we don't spend THAT much time, do we???)

Most normal tables are 30" from the floor but the average 6'0" person's elbows are 26" above the floor when normally seated (good posture, eh?) which means arms are going to be bent, wrists cocked and the strain goes through the wrist to the fingers (come here carpal tunnel...). Raise the chair seat and then your legs are not supported properly
..so if you must use an regular table (or most desks) get your chair set, have someone measure and then lower the table ( handsaw to the legs works :icon_lol:) or buy a GOOD keyboard tray (see LeeValley again http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=32491&cat=3,43597,61305&ap=1) or scrimp and save for an adjustable desk.

If you're a handy kinda guy a lot of it can be made with simple materials and tools but I do recommend that the surfaces be adjustable so you can vary the position. Even with the refinements I have on my workstation, after the RTW last year it took about 5 days of rest before I felt comfortable using the computer for more than a half hour :isadizzy:

Rob