PDA

View Full Version : So, how many here fly this beautiful ship, anyway?

PilatusTurbo
November 27th, 2009, 15:28
Just finished another little half hour hop around, and figured I'd see how many fly this ship regularly. It's totally earned a permanent place in my hangar, as my #1 biplane. It's got speed and power for maneuvers,
or just enough to gently put around. Detailed to the gills, and even a realistic and fully castoring tailwheel.
Lord, I love taildraggers that handle correctly on the ground. :d :ernae:

Couple shots from that last flight.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/PilatusTurbo/6.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/PilatusTurbo/7.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/PilatusTurbo/8.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/PilatusTurbo/9.jpg

Thanks for reading, all :bump: :ernae:

Cees Donker
November 27th, 2009, 15:35
I rediscovered this one thanks to your post.

:ernae:

Cees

Felixthreeone
November 27th, 2009, 15:52
Where can I get that beauty?

thedude247
November 27th, 2009, 15:57
Where can I get that beauty?

Yes Sir, where can I get this paint.:kilroy:

huub vink
November 27th, 2009, 15:58
Robert Sanderson make some really great models! Although his Stearman perhaps the best one, I personally prefer to fly with some amament ;)

His Stearman cropduster package can be found here (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=5344) <== link. The paint is included.

Huub

Hurricane Mk.IID by Robert Sanderson

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/Hurri_d.jpg

OleBoy
November 27th, 2009, 16:32
That crop duster is one of my favorites out of Robert Sandersons work. It's in my hanger. They're all great models :ernae:

OleBoy
November 27th, 2009, 23:44
Huub, I must admit something here. From the day I joined at SOH, I tried to look at every post I could. Something made me hone in. And, I learned after following many of your posts, that you always share what you feel to be the best of the best in the freeware world. And surprisingly to me, it stands to be true!! I've downloaded most everything you've led me to. And, I haven't been let down yet.

I read and replied to this topic. Several hours later, here I am. I had to come back here and find the links to the Hurricane. Once I did, I loaded it up in the sim. Right off the bat I was impressed. Mr Sanderson (I've said this before) was an exceptional modeler. I was amazed how realistic the 2D and VC were in this model. Almost everything click-able. So much so I was getting confused. Even the flight dynamics are excellent. When the engine conked out it really caught me off guard. I had to ditch it...lol. :icon_lol:

I just want to extend my thanks to you for doing this as I am fairly new to this stuff. But the more I play, the more I enjoy.

Thanks for sharing

OleBoy

Wild Bill Kelso
November 28th, 2009, 01:05
I agree to you completely, OleBoy!
Concerning Huub's proposals and Robert's Hurricane as well.

I purchased a payware rendition of the Hurricane once, hoping that it might be slightly 'better' than Robert's.
Result is: Logging time in this payware model tends to about one hour, stagnating...

huub vink
November 28th, 2009, 01:07
Thanks for the nice words Oleboy and WBK. I always wondered what happened with Robert Sanderson. We have had some e-mail exchange years ago and it suddenly went quiet. I knew he had contact with several SOH members outside the forums. so perhaps somebody knows what has become of him.

Oleboy, when you like Robert's Mk.IID Hurricane you should try his Sea Hurricane as well. (link (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=3380)). Remeber to use oxygen when needed or you will pass out......

Huub

OleBoy
November 28th, 2009, 08:10
I really enjoy Mr. Sandersons work. I saw there was a "C" version in the archives here. Well, there was anyway. When I clicked on it all I got was an error. And Google led me right back here with every search.

While Googling I found several topics related to Robert, so I started reading this one to learn about him. http://forums1.avsim.net/lofiversion/index.php/t72229.html (http://forums1.avsim.net/lofiversion/index.php/t72229.html)

Roberts work is very interactive. My problem, I never read the manual. I just get in and start flipping switches. Haha!! :kilroy:

Corsair 14F
November 28th, 2009, 08:25
Now someone will maybe enlighten me and tell me why so few repaints are available :confused: because it is one of the finest freeware bird I know.

OleBoy
November 28th, 2009, 08:42
Now someone will maybe enlighten me and tell me why so few repaints are available :confused:

Maybe Huub can fix that too :kilroy:

Wild Bill Kelso
November 28th, 2009, 09:14
...tell me why so few repaints are available ...

I just discovered the paint kit within the Ib civil version.
The personal Hurricane of a certain Air Vice Marshal (widely known for his immaculate white flightsuit) has been on my wishlist for a very long time and will hit the skies over Britain as soon as my "Yellowknife AI madness" will allow... :jump:

Cheers,
Markus.

OleBoy
November 28th, 2009, 09:36
I just discovered the paint kit within the Ib civil version. Cheers,
Markus.

Strange, I don't have the B version. And I don't see it to download :isadizzy:

Daube
November 28th, 2009, 10:02
I have three things to say here:
- PilatusTurbo: THANK YOU for showing me this plane. Believe it or not, I didn't know about it ! :ernae:
- Huub Vink: THANK YOU for the link :ernae:
- Robert Sanderson and his team: THANK YOU for such a great, amazing freeware addon :ernae:

The plane works perfect in FSX Acceleration. I'll tweak the prop later, for now I just have to fly it more :jump:

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image912.jpg

dogknot
November 28th, 2009, 10:29
Strange, I don't have the B version. And I don't see it to download :isadizzy:

SeaHurri.zip in the soh library

PilatusTurbo
November 28th, 2009, 10:34
That was my goal, to hopefully show a few who hadn't seen it, and then bring attention back to it. It's one of the most fun flying experiences I've had in years.

I've been searching for my good ol' radial engined, biplane for some time, that has all the goodies. This one pretty much has it all.

Here's my goodie list :d: No particular order, more of an order of the greatest planes I like from each category, so don't think I'm putting one above another. :d

1. This Stearman: Biplane Category

2. Milton and Team's D18: Twin engine Category--And it's a taildragger!! :d

3. Realair SIAI Marchetti SF.260: Aerobatic Category; Taildragger or Nosewheel

4. The ever-venerable P-51B/C from Warbert's Team: WWII Fighter Category; The P-51 Flight Leader pack simply is the best and most realistic rendition of a P-51 I've seen to date

5. I'm not sure, I'm still looking for one more bird to fit into my top 5. Probably FSD's T-38, which I just don't fly enough. :)

OleBoy
November 28th, 2009, 11:46
Sorry for leading this topic off stray. Mental note taken.

Here's some great shots of the Sea Hurricane :ernae:
http://img263.imageshack.us/g/2d2009nov28014.jpg/

Bomber_12th
November 28th, 2009, 12:23
The community definitely gained a lot during the limited time that Robert was making and releasing aircraft for FS. I still recall that he came onto the seen rather surprisingly with his first screenshots of his at the time almost complete Hurricane IIA. When it was released, it definitely led the way as far as detail and accurate flight experiences for a WWII fighter - and it only got better. It was the first time I could fly a WWII fighter in FS, and it reacted exactly the same way as the actual flying notes I had on the Hurricane. I still get depressed when I recall that he had what I believe was a Spitfire Mk.V being built to the same level as his other work - though it never was shown to the public nor released.

OleBoy
November 28th, 2009, 12:45
The community definitely gained a lot during the limited time that Robert was making and releasing aircraft for FS.

I still get depressed when I recall that he had what I believe was a Spitfire Mk.V being built to the same level as his other work - though it never was shown to the public nor released.

That's too bad. One can only imagine. Thanks for sharing this. I just hope everything in his world is well

Bomber_12th
November 28th, 2009, 13:00
Yes it definitely is too bad. I believe his initial intentions were to make the Hurricane and Spitfire to learn even more about how they compared to one another, and why this was - which is a pretty cool thought process to take advantage of being able to do this with FS.

OleBoy
November 28th, 2009, 13:02
As I've read posts in many places on the net..He is a very witty and talented

arl
November 28th, 2009, 13:08
I absolutely agree with the remark about a payware Hurricane being decidedly Last Class (if you get my drift) in comparison to this - and the Aeroheaven one too. Unfortunately I also made the error of buying the payware one and have subsequently binned it as being so poor in comparison.

I wasn't too impressed by an advertising spam for the supplier of the payware Hurricane that happened to come to the email address that I used for my avsim forum registration - did not think too much of the "ethical" approach of the party sending it or the software company represented by the spam mail.

The agricultural Stearman brings a new meaning to the phrase Agricultural Engineering! More like chainsaw engineering when you look at the final iteration of the model. Beautifully modelled all the same. :icon_lol:

Tom Clayton
November 28th, 2009, 13:20
When I look closely at the tailwheel on the Stearman, I see what appears to be a pair of steering cables. Is this correct or do those cables serve another purpose on the real airplane?

PilatusTurbo
November 28th, 2009, 14:11
Yep, that's what they're there for. Several taildraggers (mostly smaller aircraft) do have that cable system attached to the tailwheel. However, this was very limited, as you still usually have well over 1,000 lbs altogether riding on only three wheels. The Cessna 120 and Bellanca Cruisemaster that I've got a little time in, both had these features. Though, you still had to toe brake the crap outta either of them to turn them on the ground. Once it 'unclicks' (about the first 30 degrees in either direction), it usually then functions just like a free castoring tailwheel. A little thrust/propwash over the rudder is great at slightly higher speeds, but it's very hard to pivot a taildragger on the tarmac without brakes. I would say impossible, but I'm sure there are those who can do it without groundlooping it.

Bigger aircraft like WWII fighters and bombers usually just had a free castoring wheel back there.

I do not like several of the taildraggers in FS that have the tailwheel contact point swivel set for less than 180 degrees. It just makes for a 'power steering' experience, and if you've got any time in a t-dragger, you know they're not that easy.

Either way, that doesn't ruin the aircraft; it's just a personal preference of mine. All those taildraggers I mentioned about do indeed have a free castor tailwheel in the sim. :ernae:

PeteHam
November 28th, 2009, 19:01
When I look closely at the tailwheel on the Stearman, I see what appears to be a pair of steering cables. Is this correct or do those cables serve another purpose on the real airplane?

So, how many here fly this beautiful ship, anyway?

You mean apart from the real one :icon_lol:

I've tried every Stearman in FS2004 and while I've recently bought the Golden Age Stearman the freeware one here is almost as good.

The cables out to the tailwheel are for steering on the ground.

But if you need to turn tight, applying wheel brake on one side will cause the tailwheel to exceed a certain angle and then free caster untill the angle reduces.

Pete.

radialmr
November 29th, 2009, 12:21
This is one nice Srearman, I have "450 Stearman Duster Update for FS2004" intsalled. It has better flight dynamics then the original, only thing is the shadow doesn't line up with aircraft.other then that a Great Stearman.

OleBoy
November 29th, 2009, 13:57
Would the contact points of the wheels have anything in relation to the shadow reflected? Or, is that a modeling deficiency?

I don't know. Just asking.

radialmr
November 29th, 2009, 17:17
I wish I knew, but once it's off the ground you don't notice it. Would be nice to have a fix though.

Mel